MEOW #95 Stop! That's a Command

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, just before the reveal...

I got 4 more today for a total of 37!

T Cinny
T HoldThatThought
1 dplass
2 kymike
3 boharr
4 kitchendiva
5 Meg
6 CKochmanski
7 Benchen71
8 CPJohnson
9 Small Wave Dave
10 Hector
11 edestlin
12 Laura M
13 Mwoychick
14 Beth Tyrpin
15 SeamusOl
16 KayW
17 lbray52
18 snood
19 markhr
20 Ergcat
21 woozy
22 ajk
23 Carolyn
24 Dow Jones
25 LindaPRmaven
26 ReB
27 Abide
28 DIS
29 Whimsy
30 Bbaack
31 Gutman
32 BrennerTJ
33 Stefan Lowe
34 sledge
35 kurtalert
36 Sharkicicles
37 HeadinHome

If I missed anyone please let me know, and thanks to all who gave it a try.

Tom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Time for the reveal!

Well this one was distinctly harder (I have been told) than I ever imagined. The whole premise was of course the 10 commandments (Stop. That’s a Command!) and the trick was noticing that (1) all of the punny clues had a blank to fill in and a ? to indicate wordplay. Of course people said, “Puns in a DrTom puzzle, why would we think they were odd!” and you’d be correct except that I very carefully, and with great difficulty, resisted them anywhere else. Additionally I hoped it would become clear that all were attempting to remind you of things you were not supposed to do (I also hoped that the middle clue “MAGNA CARTA – text that is the foundational basis of our laws” might give you a mental shove). If they did, and given that the title of the puzzle went out of its way to use a word like Command instead of “order” or some similar and less bombastic word, I hoped you would be on your way.
Thou shalt not make any idol or graven image – 2nd Commandment
Thou shalt not kill – 6th Commandment
Though shalt not lie (bear false witness) – 9th Commandment
Though shalt not steal – 8th Commandment
Though shalt not take the name of thy Lord in vain – 3rd Commandment
Honor thy father and thy mother – 5th Commandment
That leaves you with 2 6 9 8 3 5

Once you had those you would do what we ALWAYS do with numbers, find the squares that correspond. If you did that you ended up with REPENT which indeed is what you’d have to do if you didn't follow directions.
Stop Thats a Command Graphic Reveal.jpg
There was one MAJOR oversight on my part that kept this from being a cleaner puzzle. As with most religions, we Episcopalians assume that the other religions have the same commandments in the same order. Turns out we are wrong! Other religions have them in different orders, mainly because of combining what we consider the 1st and 2nd commandment into the 1st and expanding on the coveting one (10 for Episcopalians and many protestants, 9 & 10 for many others). I ask your forgiveness and I repent my transgressions.

I’m not going to be around for the next few MEOWs but there are capable hands that are taking on the task so there should be puzzles galore. Ben has offered up a puzzle which is, in the true MEOW tradition, a doozy. You should see that coming soon.

Thanks to all who solved, or tried to solve. I appreciate your work on my puzzles and hope they meet your expectations. Thanks also to those who tested and gave me some great feedback. As usual, your comments and observations made for a much better puzzle.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, let's add one more. Schmeel managed to PM me just as I was putting up the reveal. When I went back to the mailbox there his answer was, so 38 solvers. I'm happy with that!!!