"For Good Measure" - September 20, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore and doing a 38A because the weekend is still young and I don't have to obsess any longer over the puzzle.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

AHA! Lost last night but redid it this AM and stumbled upon the key to solving. Took some searching but I eventually found my way home. I have a minor "hey, wait a minute" but I will not complain too loudly because it would have been a stretch (remember the razor). So, done and currently enjoying a cup of coffee - slightly too early for alcohol but I'll rally later.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

For all those who are struggling with finding the answer while completing the puzzle on-line, I'll reiterate, in my favorite rhyming meter, the advice that has been given, and I have taken, by many of the muggle community:

Each of us has felt the pain
Of looking and looking in vain
But print out the grid
And the answer that’s hid
Often becomes very plain
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:15 pm Made it to shore! It would be sooo easy for a muggle to drop an inadvertent spoiler on this one!
Almost did just that! Have to control myself!

Anyhow, ashore early (for Rita and I anyway) this week! Starting to pay attention to who was the author of the puzzle; I think that helped us a little.

Rita and George
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

gdshort wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:29 am Relaxing onshore with a pint of bitter. While musing in a beer-inspired doze I tried to remember if it is possible to win more than one mug. I believe this question has been raised before but I can't recall the answer. If is is indeed possible, has anyone ever achieved the feat?
It is possible and one woman (nonmuggle) has won three times. :(
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:05 am
gdshort wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:29 am Relaxing onshore with a pint of bitter. While musing in a beer-inspired doze I tried to remember if it is possible to win more than one mug. I believe this question has been raised before but I can't recall the answer. If is is indeed possible, has anyone ever achieved the feat?
Bob, how are 'muggles' and 'non-muggles' defined in this context?
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Happy to be part of the shoreward flotilla; I only hope a frothy Guinness awaits. We Pennsylvanians often cling to the homegrown joy of a Yuengling lager, but there's something about a well-poured stout that makes me proud to be a muggle. Cheers and best wishes for a safe and satisfying weekend.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Filled the grid but see nothing at all. Having Meta Block!
I'll come back to it later in the weekend because I think I *should* be able to see this one.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

On shore - fun one.
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

After a beautiful fall walk in our favorite state park (Black Moshannon) we came home and we put the solution together over coffee. Happily ashore.
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

Ashore. Fun one after two weeks of struggling.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

As I was sitting in the LR having my morning coffee (from my non-WSJ Crossword Champion mug), I started longing for that far distant shore of the proverbial island known as 'Donendone'. Then all of a sudden, the skies cleared providing me with several 25A's and here I sit on terra firma.

Too early for a beverage (although it must be 5 o'clock somewhere, right?).
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

grwinski wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:08 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:05 am
Bob, how are 'muggles' and 'non-muggles' defined in this context?
A muggle is anyone who has ever commented either here or in the WSJ comments.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Okay, I just dog-paddled ashore, a day late and a dollar short ... but hey, it counts! 😜
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

on the beach
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Easy grid (I had to check to make sure I wasn't working a non-contest puzzle), and I see "stuff." Just not sure what to do with that stuff. I feel quite alone here at the bar with Isaac. Hope to join the shore party soon.
Last edited by jenirvin on Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Friday afternoon muggles

This is what I would call a classic Mike Shenk/Marie Kelly (not Kondo) contest. And muggles are jumping all over it.

Currently we have 4 on the ship, mostly keeping Isaac company while they ponder their answer and 68 basking on the shore.

And congratulations to muggle Frances Yang who won the WSJ mug last week.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
WBYonder

Post by WBYonder »

Had a quick swim to shore this morning. Fun puzzle.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Count me with Isaac for now. Like Jennifer above, I see something but am not yet getting 25A...
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

Onshore! Another clever one from Mike. Odds of winning the mug are dwindling with each new footprint in the sand.