Put a Pin in It - September 2022

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Wendy Walker

Put a Pin in It - September 2022

Post by Wendy Walker »

Pete Muller's September MMMM is live at www.pmxwords.com.
I see several Muggle names already on the leaderboard, with #1 honors going to our own Lucky Guest!

The prompt: "The meta for this puzzle is a member of a well-known Motown group."
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

On the board. Tough one.
Heidi
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

On the board, hard version. Mostly :-) I didn't feel 100% about my answer and was worried I missed something, so I did look at the easy version before submitting, didn't change anything though.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

On the board. Tough, but fun. I did the easy version.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

A hard and easy version. Who knew. I just scrolled until I saw PDF.
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

On the board and found this one extremely satisfying!

With solo solves on Paolo’s guest MGWCC, this week’s WSJ (even though I flubbed part of it), and this month’s MMMM, I feel like I’ve graduated from “novice” to “not too shabby”.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Beth Tyrpin wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:45 pm A hard and easy version. Who knew. I just scrolled until I saw PDF.
The less hard one was hard enough for me!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I should add, to my above note about solving, that I too thought this was a really terrific meta puzzle. Thanks, Pete and Andrew!
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

On the board at 66...I didn't realize there were 2 versions but had printed the easy version pdf...worked for me (filled in the grid yesterday and let it sit overnight).
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

Edited: I’m an idiot, was making it harder than it needed to be, as usual. I’m on shore.
Last edited by kurtalert on Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Solved! Even knowing the mechanism it was quite the slog.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Not there yet. I have A mechanism/metanism, which I'm slogging through. While it seems very promising, I'm not sure it will be at this point. But it's promising enough that I'm going to keep working on it.

That is normally a bad sign, refusing to give up a path that hasn't panned out after working on it this long. Hmmm... Will I take my own normal advice and try something different? Time will tell.
jbird

Post by jbird »

I have a solid start but now I’ve hit a snag. Going to sleep on it and look at it again in the morning.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Phew! Finally got it, pending confirmation. Wow… just wow!

Kudos to anyone getting this the hard way. I tried but had to back down. Still tough, but the juice was worth the squeeze. Really elegant construction, Pete!
Ray
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

This puzzle has been my constant companion these last few days. While I did not make it to the finish line without assistance (thanks @Laura M!) I truly feel like I have run a marathon... one that involved lots of googling and use of OneLook.com!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

On the board. Easier version was still tough.
Cindy Heisler
KayW

Post by KayW »

:notes: Wowza what a meta!

Silly me. I thought I’d try the harder version first. Has anyone been able to solve from that?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

Who are the masochists trying to solve these harder versions? I’ll take all the asterisks a constructor wants to give me! LOL
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Two versions?? I missed something. Anyway I am ashore with I guess the easy version.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Now I am really confused. I did the hard version I guess because my pdf has no asterisks