A&Q

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Of the couch after the second nudge.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I’m traveling this week. Finally got it. Thanks, Jay! Great puzzle!
Cynthia
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Finally off the couch after Nudge the wonder dog rolled me off. Elegant puzzle!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The week closes with enough solvers to bring the total to 63.

50. charbee002
51. SJMcK
52. Snood
53. Mike Fitzgerald
54. LB800
55. ReB
56. CPJohnson
57. JeanneC
58. bhamren
59. SewYoung
60. Sharkicicles
61. jbird
62. sledge
63. Carolyn

The answer, which many people guessed before looking at the first clue, was JEOPARDY.

Eight of the clues and their entries were in the form of Carnac-style jokes. Those clues, and only those clues, ended with a question mark. For example, the entry at 45 Across, EL PASO, was the answer part of the joke, the set-up. Then Carnac holds the envelope to his forehead, tears open the end, blows into it, removes the question, and reads, “What does the coach call when he doesn't want el runno or el kicko?”

But there is another clue that could be also used for EL PASO albeit in a much more straightforward way —1 Across: “City on the Rio Grande.” The grid entry for that clue is JUAREZ. In the same way, the other seven Carnac-style items lead to more literal entries whose initial letters spell out the rest of the answer.
Solution V.jpg
In the introduction on Monday, I asked solvers to submit their own answers and questions. Here is one of my own design that I couldn’t manage to squeeze into the grid.
LAMINATIONS
In which Old Testament book does God command the Jews to sell plywood?

The response from the soling public was a tad disappointing. Only two solvers offered their own.

whimsy offered a couple
PETAL
What do I push when riding around town on my bike hawking botanicals?

GRIMACE
What do I do when I gamble on a high pair but only end up with a single stinkin' high card?

DrTom contributed enough to crash the system, though for some reason he confined himself to entries in the grid.
PATINA
What they called a famous singer's father before she left her good job for the city?

TEXTED
What do his congressional buddies call Senator Cruz?

ELAND
A description of a place that exists only online?

SLEEK
What is a term for a very smooth search process?

NEUROSIS
What is the superhero Cardioboy’s angsty superhero sibling called?

PRATTLES
Small fruit candies people cannot stop talking about?

SLIPIN
Last name of another Perry who surreptitiously replaced the original Roz on Frasier?

ANTONYM
The man who was the exact opposite of Cleopatra’s boyfriend?

KITTS
What did people call the children of one of Addam’s Family?

JEDI
Pompous introduction Mr. Clampett affected after his new found wealth?

EXILE
What is the status of Atlantis?

DEVOID
Where is the empty space they keep de vacuum in a French house?

And the more PG ones:

EDICT
What is the term for being screwed over online?

CACAO
What was the quickly abandoned name for a chocolate Cherrio

Thanks to all who solved, and to those who didn't (are there any?) but may have smiled at one or two of the question-clues.
Jay
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Major forehead slap this week. I was torturing the grid looking for embedded literal answers... led astray by my confidence that I'd found the metanism this way:

What theater award is given? Not an OPIE (playing off OBIE) but a TONY (embedded in ANTONY). Another teletubby is PO (found in TOPOT) and perhaps the fog lifts to give you an AHA moment (BAHAI). One might RSVP negatively with NO (STENO). I know a lot more about Dutch Masters (painters and cigars, apparently) than I did before your puzzle. Sigh.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Sshhhhh…
Don’t tell Matt Gaffney, but this week’s MMM was WAY more fun than this Friday’s WSJ puzzle.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I never quite got all the connections but immediately guessed the answer from the title...