"Finishing The Story" September 2, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

OGuyDave wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:53 pm Done, Thursday; and done, yesterday, Sunday. A couple of hours, well actually just under four hours before deadline, as I needed a big bump from the 8PM ET Zoom call crew. Thank you, folks!

Saw PAPA, but just the red herring part, not the "a step to the answer" part.

I decided to submit "HOSTA", suggesting it was a character in my garden story.

Hope everyone had a safe and fun holiday.

PieComic9.jpg

TFTXWD nonetheless
:D
Reminded me of another good one --
Untitledclowns.png
Miki

Post by Miki »

And I promised a rabbit hole thread....
Since I didn't see the meta right away like everyone else did, I thought that Finishing the Story was a clue to unfinished novels. It turned out that all five of our quoted authors had unfinished books they were working on before their death. Surely, the first letter (or last) of each of these books would spell out something that would click.
Jane Austen - Sanditon
Dickens - the mystery of Edward Drood
Capote - Aswered Prayers
Dostoyevsky - Netochka Nezvanova
Hemingway- The Garden of Eden

And therefore "STANT"?! ( Or NDSAN)

The thing that convinced me I was wrong, besides the fact that these are not real words, was the fact that people were already on shore at 4:12. Other than Al S., who could possibly finish the grid and find all this information and submit in 12 minutes!?
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

KscX wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:07 pm It helped that PAPA was sitting right above Elizabeth Bennett. I thought- huh - then went on to look for A Christmas Carol and clinched it.
Ah, so that only helps if you knew that Elizabeth Bennett was from Pride And Prejudice...which I did not...
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Happy Birthday to @Wendy Walker who shares this special day with me.
2FD65E78-DA59-4584-BD01-B09F5761F2B9.jpeg
Me 9/6/46
WW 9/6/83??
(You do the math)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MaineMarge wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:12 am Happy Birthday to @Wendy Walker who shares this special day with me.
Me 9/6/46
WW 9/6/83??
(You do the math)
Happy Birthday, Marge & Wendy!
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

KscX wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:07 pm It helped that PAPA was sitting right above Elizabeth Bennett. I thought- huh - then went on to look for A Christmas Carol and clinched it.
Same here. PAPA right above Pride and Prejudice got me rolling early on this one.
JJD

Post by JJD »

I tried doing this one on my phone. I was stuck looking at the last word or last letter of the next line or final sentence in the books. I probably wouldn’t have seen the mechanic even on a print out.
Great puzzle construction!
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

I have been AWOL most of the summer due to, well, life. Jumped back in with this one, but got stuck on CAT. I wanted it to be Pygmalion. It seems I'm really out of practice! Anyway, Happy Birthday to Marge and Wendy!!!
Kathie
pjc

Post by pjc »

HunterX wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:24 am
BarbaraK wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:46 am Not my wheelhouse, but did finally figure it out. Oddly, something I thought might be relevant turned out to be, but not at all in the way I was thinking.
SoccerMom wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:45 pm
HunterX wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:30 pm

I'm guessing I saw the same thing both of you did.
That makes total sense to me. An interesting and strange coincidence if we are talking about the same thing.
Time to compare notes. I had linked "Crime and Punishment" to CAPO thematically and tried to go down that path. EGGOS matched with "Breakfast at Tiffany's" for another example. However this rabbit hole dead-ended quickly enough. Also, was I supposed to find something to match the "Punishment" part too, and thus also find grid answers for both "Pride" and "Prejudice"? Surely not.

But then when I saw that the acronym CAP matched the first 3 letters of CAPO, I thought "Ah, so they were linked after all."
Ha - close but no cigar! My link was PAPA (which seemed to be a common rabbit hole) since people referred to Hemingway by that name.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I'm surprised no one else had my path to discovery...I saw CAT in the middle of the grid and thought "that's one letter off from B.a.T." and looked through for other examples of entries one letter off from the book initials. Once on that path it took about 10 seconds to dogleg right and hit the solution.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Happy birthday Marge and Wendy!🎈🎈🎈
Heidi
KscX

Post by KscX »

Dplass wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:57 am
Ah, so that only helps if you knew that Elizabeth Bennett was from Pride And Prejudice...which I did not...
I had to look up the last two, but thankfully the first three were rattling around in this old brain.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

MaineMarge wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:12 am Happy Birthday to @Wendy Walker who shares this special day with me.
Me 9/6/46
WW 9/6/83??
(You do the math)
Huge HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISHES to two great Muggles. Wishing you both mugs!
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

How to not win the mug, even though you got the answer. I sent the answer via mail on my iPad. I typed in “Athos” but the autocorrect turned it into “Atmosphere” and I didn’t notice. Arghhh!
femullen

Post by femullen »

Dplass wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:57 am Ah, so that only helps if you knew that Elizabeth Bennett was from Pride And Prejudice...which I did not...
I imagine that this meta might have been easier if you recognized at once who these characters were and from which novels. If Pride and Prejudice immediately pops into your mind on seeing "Elizabeth Bennet," then it might be almost automatic to see PAPA immediately above it. Having to google this stuff takes the eye and the mind far far away.

But I'm just flailing for excuses. My snarky first post was from Jude the Obscure (see, I have read some novels), which is what I found this meta.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

nominee25smaller.png
The Xword Rabbit never ceases to be amazed by the myriad of ways you Muggles can go astray.
"Finishing the Story" from Mr. Shenk sounded easy enough: Five characters led to five books --
PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, A CHRISTMAS CAROL, BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
and THE SUN ALSO RISES, and that's when the fun started.

So many comments are worthy of note, if not nomination. There was Reb and Hunter X who
connected "Breakfast at Tiffany's" with EGGOS, conjuring up an image of Audrey Hepburn
pounding down frozen waffles.

Many more of you got hung up on PAPA, maybe because the annual Ernest Hemmingway look-alike
contest was held a month ago in Key West, Florida. Here's the winner, celebrating his victory.

image.jpg
But the Rabbit digresses. On to this week's report:

Good ol' reliable DBMiller was in the running again, trying to make sense of the last words and letters
in the book titles, but he had plenty of company. Miki, however, took it one step further with this:

“Since I didn't see the meta right away like everyone else did, I thought that Finishing the Story was a clue to unfinished novels.
It turned out that all five of our quoted authors had unfinished books they were working on before their death. Surely, the first
letter (or last) of each of these books would spell out something that would click.
Jane Austen - Sanditon
Dickens - The Mystery of Edward Drood
Capote - Answered Prayers
Dostoyevsky - Netochka Nezvanova
Hemingway- The Garden of Eden

And therefore "STANT"?! (Or NDSAN)”

Thank you, Miki -- and Google -- for helping make bigger and better rabbit holes everywhere.

Lest some of you Muggles think that the XWord Rabbit can only be impressed by long and winding explanations, consider this
nominated entry from Olof who smoothly raced along, finding the start letters of the book titles, identified the “finishing” letters
in the five grid entries and then fell into a rabbit hole much like the ending of "Thelma and Louise."

“(I) got the letters TAOSH, which suggested “The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
First time to be ‘sure about an answer that ended up not being the answer.’

Does it get any better than that? Not for your faithful Rabbit who will take his leave now.
He sends his regrets to Porthos, Aramis and the rest of you who didn’t make it into his report.
Until next week, then.
pookie

Post by pookie »

iggystan wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:21 pm How to not win the mug, even though you got the answer. I sent the answer via mail on my iPad. I typed in “Athos” but the autocorrect turned it into “Atmosphere” and I didn’t notice. Arghhh!
That's AWFUL!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Thought that I would post this beautiful photo for @Adajeo
Attachments
ballet.jpg
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
pookie

Post by pookie »

I must have missed something along the way. It's too darned hot (Kiss me Kate) to be back-reading previous posts.
Who is the XWord Rabbit?
We know who our other fearless leaders are plus Mike Miller who grants wishes.
Did I miss it or is this a big secret?