Bird Blind

Discuss meta crosswords from sources other than those listed above.
woozy

Bird Blind

Post by woozy »

So here's one about bird watching.

The grids a little tough and I have no idea if the meta is easy or hard but themers are at least easy to find.

The answer to the meta is.... something.

https://crosshare.org/crosswords/kiTCvM ... bird-blind
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Holy cow! Confirmed on Crosshare! Thanks for the workout, @woozy! :lol:
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Crosshare confirmed. I spent some time with the answer without realizing it was the answer, but that’s how we roll in the metaverse. Nice construction!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Got all the pieces of the grid in place and from there it was a whirl -- Fun!
Thanks, woozy!
Untitledcarousel.png
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Oof that grid chewed me up, but the meta (with some Google) made it a satisfying puzzle. Nice job, woozy!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Good one. Tricky grid, which is what we've come to expect from a woozy puzzle. But the meta was really good. Your best yet!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

By the way.... How many does does it say to the reveal? As the creator it... doesn't actually show me. I've been publishing my crosswords privately and making them public later but I don't know how that effects the hide the reveal for a week.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

woozy wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:45 pm By the way.... How many does does it say to the reveal? As the creator it... doesn't actually show me. I've been publishing my crosswords privately and making them public later but I don't know how that effects the hide the reveal for a week.
Just went to check it for you but it doesn't show once you've solved, which makes sense.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Should I be giving nudges? I'm sure everyone who was ever interested in this has gone but ... nudges are fun.

A bird blind is a man made structure or wall with slats cut out so the observer can look through the slats in a wall to see birds

We are going to go bird watching. We look for seven birds and one meta answer.

Did you find all the birds? Remember, we are behind a bird blind.

What about the answer?

Remember we are looking at the answer through the bird blind too
hoover

Post by hoover »

woozy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:17 pm Should I be giving nudges? I'm sure everyone who was ever interested in this has gone but ... nudges are fun.
We're not all gone. Some of us were just really lost until we came back to find these nudges.

This was a metanism I hadn't seen before.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay, reveal.

This is our bird blind:
birdblind.png
It allows us to look through the first, third, sixth and ninth letter and blocks out the rest.

This is our marshland:
Grid.png
So when we look at the clues with Latin names for bird genera through the birdblind:

we see the birds:
Gridwithblind1.png
Gridwithblind2.png
(The across birds are HAWK, IBIS, SWAN, TERN and WREN. The down birds are DUCK (which I wasn't able to show graphically at the same time as IBIS as the unblocked ninth letter in IMBECILES is a blocked fifth letter of DRUGSCOOK) and LARK (which I wasn't able to show simultaneously with TERN for a similar reason).

The clue with the (faux) Latin Phrase "Metam Resonsum" is our "Meta Answer"

If we don't look through the bird blind it is
Answernoblind.png
WHITENING

But through the bird blind it appears as
Answerblind.png
WING.

And WING is the answer.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Very cool metanism!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Wow that is brilliant
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer