MGWCC #743 — “Butterfly Effect” by Paolo Pasco

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

"Tiny" Smith of Helping Hand Services described to this reporter what went on at the Woozy household.
"So, y'know, we repo guys are used to seeing just about everything that comes down the pike," he said. "But, like, this guy just didn't care that we were taking away his furniture and even his dog! He waves this honkin' big crossword puzzle in my face and says, "Just let me finish this, please." But I saw it, man -- and it was already all filled in!"
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Changing the subject completely, but, if really tough cluing is absolutely your thing, I have encountered very little out there that rises to the level of the Saturday Stumper puzzles, published in Long Island's Newsday. Forget the Saturday NYT, forget the Peter Gordon Fireballs - I do them, I love them, but for pure "make the clues as challenging/tricky/misleading/puzzling" as possible, you'll have a difficult time topping the Saturday Stumper.

If you've never been introduced, there is a new-ish series of Stumper collections, Hard As A Rock Crossword, with three (?) entries, Extra Hard, Really Hard and Super Hard, all sold at a cover price of $9.95, which is pretty reasonable for 70 puzzles per book.

You don't need to know a lot of esoteric trivia, or five dollar words, but you need the patience to parse some nefarious cluing. If you have never encountered a Stumper, give them a shot.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Phew. Beamed* after a intense but very entertaining effort. Had the answer for a few hours before I could nail down the last 2% that confirmed what I already knew had to be the last bit. But glad that I stuck it out and dotted that i as well (metaphorically, of course, so no spoilers ;)).

Definitely liked this one a lot, even if the percentage of grid entries I didn't know was higher than I'd prefer. I'm all for a good dose of those in general, and if sometimes a puzzle has to have even more than I'd like in order to make up for the ones that have none, well that's fine too. Plus the mechanism was pretty cool.

*Technically awaiting, but not worried. ETA: officially beamed.
Last edited by ajk on Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Oof, I just may skip this one.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Requesting beam up, though it appears the transporter is undergoing repairs. I enjoyed the challenge, grid and meta alike. This coming from someone who generally dislikes overly challenging grids on metas.
woozy

Post by woozy »

joequavis wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:03 pm , though it appears the transporter is undergoing repairs.
Wish they'd get that fixed. I'm positive I've got the mechanism but I may have made an error or two. Still I'd like to get a solo 4 after flubbing the week 1.

Edit: Ah, there I am... 92.
Last edited by woozy on Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

I for one have no friggin idea. Not complaining. Yet.

Beamed with shoves. Not my fave.
Last edited by mattythewsjpuzzler on Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

I'd appreciate a nudge or collaboration if anyone is open to it... I feel like I was making solid progress until I beamed halfway into a Cronenberg monstrosity.

UPDATE:
Awaiting confirmation but I'm pretty confident in my answer. That was my first MGWCC and what a doozy it was. Thanks to a couple of very gentle nudges to help me stay on the right track.
Last edited by edestlin on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up. I found this one to be difficult and hard on the eyes. But with a bit of help, I got through it.
Cindy Heisler
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

On the board at #91. Always nice to get a Week 4 solo solve. Hmm....I think I know why some of our usually speedy solvers are not yet on the board.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Oof. Nudged to the tractor beam. Not my idea of fun, but a very clever concept.

(After the reveal I might suggest the one thing I would have changed, had I come up with this meta idea.)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
stmv

Post by stmv »

Woof, that was indeed a good workout, but I'm now beamed up at #95. I'm amazed that Paolo was able to conceive of and then construct a meta like this.

Regarding the discussion about the cluing, I agree that Paolo tends to lean towards cutesy, but (speaking as a 69 year-old geezer) the grid didn't seem unfair to me. I was able to get everything without resorting to Google ... well, in all honesty I did google some entries after I was done to make sure that I didn't have any errors. Looking back over the grid, I can see only one place where two "obscure" names cross each other, and even in that case there was enough context given to make an educated guess possible.
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Partial Differential Equations...
Complex Variables...
Non-Euclidean Geometry...
Non-linear Algebra...
This puzzle.
Last edited by Guffman on Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woozy

Post by woozy »

stmv wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:35 am I'm amazed that Paolo was able to conceive of and then construct a meta like this.

It almost seems to me conceiving and constructing this would be easier than solving this.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MountainManZach

Post by MountainManZach »

Beamed up and happy to provide nudges. Standard DrTom-type request: brief me on what you've done/what ideas you've had
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

After a full blown shove to get started, I worked through the rest and am awaiting beam up.

Phew! I need a shower... for my brain! I can see why some chose not to go through the marathon workout, but I enjoyed it once I got through the first 19.2 miles and only had 7 to go.

Had a cutesy comment to make, but I think it might constitute a bit of a spoiler.

Edit: Beamed up at 146.
Last edited by HunterX on Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

"Ich gebe auf" - Albert Einstein, 2022
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

Beamed up with help! This was complicated. Happy to hint via PM.
Karawitan

Post by Karawitan »

I’ve been staring at this for a few days now and still can’t find a way to get even started. If there is a way to have a gentle nudge in the right direction, I’d appreciate it in a DM. I love challenging metas where there is a lot of work to do, but I need to know what the first step is! Any (tiny) help would be appreciated.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Psssshh. Having lost my 50 badge a couple weeks ago, I no longer find myself panicky about solving difficult metas. If I had a little more free time this past week, I might have spent a little more time on the meta. I'm sure I'll marvel at the solution once it's published. As it is, I'm a proud DNF this week.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.