MGWCC #743 — “Butterfly Effect” by Paolo Pasco

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I know the answer from WAY too much help. Without saying too much more I'd have to count this as my least favorite puzzle in a LONG time. Yes the concept is amazing and the work to construct it superlative, but the solving became laborious and kinda "gotcha"ing. I'll elaborate after the reveal if anyone really cares.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Beamed up.....gotta say it was a cool concept overall, and I don't want to know how long he took to figure out his clues...but Damn..... But I can also understand why some folks "packed it in".
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Too tough for me, even with nudges. I pass.
Last edited by Bird Lives on Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed aboard but I needed a roadmap and explanations on how to read said map.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

I was beamed up, only because of nudges from the generous @Wendy Walker. No complaints about the grid, the clues, or the solution, but I do have one gripe I will share after the reveal.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I got a nudge to point me toward the transporter pad, but even with that, it was quite a bit of work and some nice ahas along the way.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

183. Joe Ross 08/31 - 16:53

Knew the answer 100% in neighborhood of 2 PM ET, took another couplish hours to submit, had to give a recovering-from-illness dog some Joe time, do lupper, check that magnetic North was near the 165° longitude, still, then find the energy to post.♥️🐕‍🦺🥪🌎😴

oof
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Soon to be on the board thanks to muggle helpers.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

I missed the deadline but thanks to @MountainManZach I think I got 5/7 of the answer. I was about to put in my guess... but too late. All I can say is WOW!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:33 pm I missed the deadline but thanks to @MountainManZach I think I got 5/7 of the answer. I was about to put in my guess... but too late. All I can say is WOW!
Try emailing your answer to Matt. The deadline is 3 PM.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Ooooh! Will do!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Looking forward to seeing the graphic reveal for this one. That's going to be quite a project!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

ButterflyMainGrid743.png
ButterflyTable1.png
ButterflyTable2.png
ButterflyTable3.png
ButterflyMinigrids743.png
-Tamara
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Thanks @BrennerTJ for mapping out the solution - very well explained. As a result, I think I almost kinda sorta understand how to get to SMILER :D

In an earlier post, I said I had no issues with the grid, clues, or solution (all still true), but I do object to having Christopher Cross tunes stuck in my head for several days while working on this puzzle.
39F8C3DD-33D1-4433-BAC5-11D367A95A2F.gif
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Amazing puzzle! Got the answer at the last minute but with some unresolved discomfort. (Had P from POSTAL [Dealing with mail] for "handles" despite the problem with the tense). Figured FLAPPER had to be it - as a historical term - but totally missed the beautiful connection to the title until reading Joon's write-up at CrosswordFiend. Mailed Matt with the answer at 2:55 pm, since the online form was closed; hope it will be accepted.

Thanks to @Joe Ross for the easy-to-read clues on your spreadsheet.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

My 2 cents. Giving the date (month and year) in the clues made it too open-ended. Simply including the MGWCC number would have been kinder.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

MarkWoychick wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:52 pm Thanks @BrennerTJ for mapping out the solution - very well explained. As a result, I think I almost kinda sorta understand how to get to SMILER :D

In an earlier post, I said I had no issues with the grid, clues, or solution (all still true), but I do object to having Christopher Cross tunes stuck in my head for several days while working on this puzzle.

39F8C3DD-33D1-4433-BAC5-11D367A95A2F.gif
Such an epic episode. 🤣
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

mkmf wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:04 pm Amazing puzzle! Got the answer at the last minute but with some unresolved discomfort. (Had P from POSTAL [Dealing with mail] for "handles" despite the problem with the tense). Figured FLAPPER had to be it - as a historical term - but totally missed the beautiful connection to the title until reading Joon's write-up at CrosswordFiend. Mailed Matt with the answer at 2:55 pm, since the online form was closed; hope it will be accepted.

Thanks to @Joe Ross for the easy-to-read clues on your spreadsheet.
You shouldbe fine. Still posted on Matt's site:

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is a term used in history.

NOTE: Due to the delayed post, the entry deadline this week is 3 PM ET on Thursday, September 1st.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

benchen71 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:14 pm My 2 cents. Giving the date (month and year) in the clues made it too open-ended. Simply including the MGWCC number would have been kinder.
That certainly would have been helpful. When I got clued in about the dates, I searched the phrase and added MGWCC - took me right to puzzles, but I never would have got that far without help. Maybe that would have made it too easy?

I wonder if long-time MGWCC solvers remembered any of these clues? That certainly would have helped, but I tend not to remember clues from one puzzle to the next, so maybe there's no advantage. A stunning puzzle in the end...at least I still feel stunned anyway. :D
Joe

Post by Joe »

Sometimes I ask myself, "If your LITERAL LIFE depended on it, could you have solved this meta by yourself?" This week, the answer is, appropriately, Hell to the no. I would be a dead man.

But, my god, what a feat of engineering this must have been. I didn't even make it through joon's write-up on Fiend.

To be clear, I hugely admire it and none of this should be taken as criticism of the meta. It was just incredibly not-for-me.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.