"Tense Situation" August 26, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
kawaja

Post by kawaja »

I'll be dipped! Its still hot so a cold IPA for me as I wriggle my feet in the sand. Thanks zoom squad and Heidi.
caf.caf

Post by caf.caf »

Ashore!
I couldn’t figure out anywhere to start. Was doing it online then had to leave the beautiful weather and flowers in NC for SRQ to find the newspaper waiting. The aha came while filling in print the already completed grid. At least I have Sunday to relax!!
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

Hi Bob, This NC Tar Heel is on shore - breaking a 3 week drought! Yay!
Colin

Post by Colin »

HELLO?… Hello… hell…
Empty in here… Empty… here…
ISAAC? A beer?… beer…
One world. One planet. One future.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

We are on shore! I did the grid. Son saw the meta. So our usual experience!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

I'm on a beach.

No one else is here.

There is no bar or beach chairs.

Maine Marge's cabana boy Sven is yet to be seen.

There is a volleyball with a hand print on it.

Perhaps the first solve in the last 4 weeks? Maybe?
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Kas

Post by Kas »

I think I’m on shore.

…I mean, I’m 100% sure I have the right answer, but the crowd is too big for me to tell whether it’s a beach…
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Didn't get to the grid until this morning. Was able to catch on quickly to the mechanism and solved the meta as I completed the fill. Definitely on shore!
Inca

Post by Inca »

Solved.
What a sense of relief. The "E" word doesn't offend me at all; it's just that person's experience and each person is entitled to their own experience. Having said that, I will also say that seeing the pages of this forum fill up while I have no idea at all tends to make me feel a sense of wonder that something is right there in front of me and I am just not seeing anything there. I don't realize how it affecting me until I see the light and instead feeling giddy with the "AHA" feeling, I realize I am feeling a whoosh of relief as the tension I wasn't even aware of is released.
Penny_Keatley

Post by Penny_Keatley »

On the beach here in Sweden.
Penny_Keatley

Post by Penny_Keatley »

benchen71 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:24 pm
Hammertime wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:13 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:41 pm

@Hammertime & @Anita said "THE WORD," not me!
I don’t understand your comment? Hopefully I didn’t give a clue away? I’m out then- I don’t understand the forum rules.
I'm guessing THE WORD is "easy". The thing about metas is that if you happen to stumble across the meta mechanism quickly then you think it's an easy meta. But if you try many different things and nothing works, and then you look on the forum and everyone's saying how easy it is, it can be very disheartening.
I think what you’re saying is…don’t be a smuggle!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Penny_Keatley wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:29 am
benchen71 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:24 pm
Hammertime wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:13 pm

I don’t understand your comment? Hopefully I didn’t give a clue away? I’m out then- I don’t understand the forum rules.
I'm guessing THE WORD is "easy". The thing about metas is that if you happen to stumble across the meta mechanism quickly then you think it's an easy meta. But if you try many different things and nothing works, and then you look on the forum and everyone's saying how easy it is, it can be very disheartening.
I think what you’re saying is…don’t be a smuggle!
Ooh, I haven't heard that one before. That's a good one!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done, Thursday; and done, Friday. There was a time between the two "dones" where I was really struggling with this one, but it finally came home. And of course, like so many of these metas, the "aha" moment just felt so great.

I'd say more, but ...
PieComic6.jpeg

TFTXWD
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

On the beach - It was great to see the solution so quickly after the last few weeks of bewilderment!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Inca wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:52 am Solved.
What a sense of relief. The "E" word doesn't offend me at all; it's just that person's experience and each person is entitled to their own experience. Having said that, I will also say that seeing the pages of this forum fill up while I have no idea at all tends to make me feel a sense of wonder that something is right there in front of me and I am just not seeing anything there. I don't realize how it affecting me until I see the light and instead feeling giddy with the "AHA" feeling, I realize I am feeling a whoosh of relief as the tension I wasn't even aware of is released.
Thank you for this lovely lesson in eloquence, Inca. I'll not use "THE WORD" gimmick and quote this post in the future.

🙂
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Good morning. I am almost ashamed to say I only just now solved the meta after seeing a post from @Barney that noted the importance of the instructions. Who knew the instructions were so important?

Now back to work on prepping a rental property for sale. I feel as though I am pushing the mythical Boulder up the hill.

Good luck all.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:35 am
Inca wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:52 am Solved.
Thank you for this lovely lesson in eloquence, Inca. I'll not use "THE WORD" gimmick and quote this post in the future.

🙂
Awww... I thought your "THE WORD" gimmick was cute. A nice reference to Monty Python's Knights Who Say Ni.

But perhaps it would have worn thin after awhile? So maybe it's for the better.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Collegetowngirl wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:19 pm On shore and so grateful for this group! Just a great way to feel part of a community that loves words and puzzles.
And sometimes we love to abuse words. We're a pun bunch.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

ASHORE! I solved yesterday after banging my head against the wall for much of the day on Friday. What hurts the most (besides my head) is that I actually came up with something that would have helped me solve the meta while I was filling out the grid. I really ought to pay more attention to my first inclinations!!
Sara
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

CPJohnson wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:24 am I'm ashore, after a fellow muggle encouraged me to continue my line of thinking. I think perhaps a lot of people will have stumbled onto the shore without fully understanding the metanism this week.
If they took the approach I first did that's quite possible -- and then I caught a more precise wave. :)