Everyman’s Sunday Crossword

Enter if you dare!
oldjudge

Everyman’s Sunday Crossword

Post by oldjudge »

Does anyone do these? I have done the last two Sundays and, while challenging, they are a lot of fun. They also force you to pick up a bit of British slang which is interesting.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Great puzzle today with some incredible word plays.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I occasionally attempt the British cryptics in The Guardian, or The Independent, or even The Sunday Times. Last week I tried one from The Globe and Mail (Canada). I generally find these to be HARD (I usually don’t finish, and even when I do, I usually need help). But they’re fun too.

I just did #3,960. I believe it may have been Saturday’s. It seemed a bit easier than usual. Maybe because it’s the “Everyman’s” version? I don’t know how these publications’ puzzles work.

I seem to have gotten the whole thing this time, though I’ll admit I guessed some, used the anagram checker once, and looked up synonyms two or three times.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Jay, you should try the Times Monthly Club Special if you really want a challenge and don't mind spending a few bucks :) Plus the Times subscription comes with a bunch of other puzzles.

Happy to say I finished this month's puzzle but it was NOT easy
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Duane_S

Post by Duane_S »

madhatter5 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:50 pm Jay, you should try the Times Monthly Club Special if you really want a challenge and don't mind spending a few bucks :) Plus the Times subscription comes with a bunch of other puzzles.

Happy to say I finished this month's puzzle but it was NOT easy
How much is the subscription? I was looking all over the site and could not find it.
Thanks,

Duane
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Great puzzle today. It seemed a little easier than the past few but the word play in 3D took me a long time to figure out.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

The biggest complement I can give today’s Everyman Crossword is that I did both the Cox and Rathvon CNP cryptic and this one back to back and I enjoyed this one much more. I have always considered C&R the gold standard but I have just fallen in love with the Everyman Crossword.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Everyman was a little weird today. I think the constructor may have had a pint or four before starting.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

This week’s puzzle played a little harder than normal for me. I thought 5D (Switching sides near the end, give new weapons to kingdom (5)) was an incredible clue. This has become my favorite puzzle of the week.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Fun as always and a trifle easier today.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Today’s puzzle had a few tricky word plays. 19D was particularly interesting, and I think brilliant.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

WSJCC was too easy today, so I cast about the forum for another puzzle to do, landing here. Agree: Last weekend’s Everyman’s made for a fun challenge, and 19d, when I finally got it, was a chuckle.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

This week's puzzle (#3967) was a little tougher for me than the last few week's puzzles. I finished the grid but still have questions about two of the word plays.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Another brilliant puzzle today. 21A was particularly devilish.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Today’s puzzle was a slog for me. I finished it but for me there was very little smooth about the process.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Puzzle was quite a bit easier today. I thought 27A was an incredibly clever clue.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

This weeks (#3971) played a little easier than last week’s.I loved 14D
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Today’s puzzle (#3972) played easier than most for me. There were still a few amazing clues though. I particularly liked 18D.
mokelfish

Post by mokelfish »

Have you tried the 13/x13 bi-weekly cryptic in New Scientist magazine? British-flavored, but I think both of the setters are Canadian. I have access to NS through my library.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I haven't---thank you for the suggestion. I have started to do (or try to do) the daily Guardian and FT puzzles. That fills my solving time and then some.