MGWCC #742 - “Chain Gang”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Just finished the grid and now starting my search for enlightenment
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed aboard. I think that there are two defensible answers but only one neat and tidy one like we have come to expect from Mr. Gaffney.

I nearly submitted the lesser one but did not trust my instincts and asked a solver for advice.

So now I have a solo solve for the lesser answer which sounds like it might have been deemed acceptable and a non solo solve on the good one (which I submitted).

It will be an interesting reveal and discussion. I may need to ask Matt to recategorize my solve.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

lbray53 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:38 pm Beamed aboard. I think that there are two defensible answers but only one neat and tidy one like we have come to expect from Mr. Gaffney.

I nearly submitted the lesser one but did not trust my instincts and asked a solver for advice.

So now I have a solo solve for the lesser answer which sounds like it might have been deemed acceptable and a non solo solve on the good one (which I submitted).

It will be an interesting reveal and discussion. I may need to ask Matt to recategorize my solve.
I got the "neat and tidy" one hours after submitting my first. Really looking forward to the discussion on this one also!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Thanks to a series of hints from @HoldThatThought, dragging me towards the transporter beam, I have the answer but am not submitting. (Even though there's no coffee mug involved.) While I got a couple of the steps and figured out the answer in the end, I failed in the one that really counted. So I don't feel I deserve to continue my current streak.

Very curious what the alternate answer/metanism is and look forward to the discussion on this one.

Impressive construction!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We have beamed up and I realize what subtlety I missed when submitting our answer...
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Quick show of hands:

Who would have ever thought that the acceptability of a Gaffney alternative solution would rely on whether a notable Supreme Court case was rightly decided?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

lbray53 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:38 pm Beamed aboard. I think that there are two defensible answers but only one neat and tidy one like we have come to expect from Mr. Gaffney.

Uh.. if you got any reply before you submitted, it’s not a solo solve regardless
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh, me me, please count me!!!!

Plus, in the extreme this might be considered a bit of a spoiler. Not sure because you might actually have to have solved to understand why this might be a a spoiler....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:25 pm

Uh.. if you got any reply before you submitted, it’s not a solo solve regardless
I agree. My comment was intended to be tongue in cheek.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Waiting for the tractor beam...

Edit: Oof, that was a long wait. But I've beamed up! (Not a solo solve, however.)
Last edited by benchen71 on Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

I have no idea what is going on with this one, so looks like I will be adding it to the list of week 3s that I just don't get. I was able to solve Nediger's week 5, which was complex, but on that one, after I saw the first thing, one step led to the next and so on. I can't even get started on this one, everything I have tried has dried up before I got out of the blocks. Barely able to get a foothold anywhere long enough to even lead down a rabbit hole. If he is accepting a bunch of alternate answers, I guess there is some inelegance going on here -- will be interesting reading come Wednesday.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Have 100% of some of this & can justify my answer, but not 100% in a way I'd expect.

Submitted, with 🤞...

🍀
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Quick reminder not to divulge anything with the delayed deadline until Wednesday at noon ET. I can foresee a lot of interesting discussion after the deadline on this one!

Last 5 Week 3's average to 316; I'm calling about 250 or so on this one. We'll see!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
rjy

Post by rjy »

Same as some of the others... got it - I think! Nice to get a totally solo solve on a late-month MGWCC, so submitted without confirming. Fingers crossed...

Edited: beamed up!!
Last edited by rjy on Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

REMINDER (ty @MikeyG!): Due to the delayed post, the entry deadline this week is Noon ET on Wednesday, August 24th.

Please post no spoilers for 24 hours & 31 minutes.
woozy

Post by woozy »

After a delayed start over a weekend I just can't seem to bring myself to care about this one.

I have no idea but there is one word in one of the clues that is just really sticking in my craw.

I'll take a nudge if anyone has one, or I'll just not submit this.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
gpj73

Post by gpj73 »

Really didn’t want to have to ask for help on yet another week 3 but … we are baffled. A few weird coincidences that we’ve tried to run down, based on prior comments, but nothing consequential. Anyone awake at this late hour that might have a nudge?

Wed. AM EDIT: major thanks to @Katiedid for dragging us across the finish line!
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

I know I'm staring right at it. I have step 1 and step 2...and nothing. I'm going to submit MATT GAFFNEY as he is infamous for making me lose my hair.
Cow

Post by Cow »

woozy wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:18 pm I have no idea but there is one word in one of the clues that is just really sticking in my craw.
Is the word in question "symmetrical"?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

My backdoor solution, as submitted & followed up with email (this is NOT the proper path to the solution) :

Finally sussed 3-letter names chained in TEs.

Looked up all 3-letter words in grid,

Generously considered possible names within words.

KEN LAY is the only one to pop. He fills the prompt bill as well as anyone.

If there's another way to verify KEN LAY or if KEN is incorrect, it's beyond m(in)e.

20220820 MGWCC Chain Gang reveal.png
(FWIW: Above is how I submitted with image emailed. Learned immediately afterward from solvers, then Matt Gaffney, the correct path.)