MGWCC #742 - “Chain Gang”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
TMart

Post by TMart »

On the board at #30. I liked this one until I didn't like it, but then I thought more about it and I liked it again.

Edit: now I’m #34. Looks like Matt decided to accept some alternate answers?
Last edited by TMart on Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I have submitted what I feel is the meta answer. Fits well with the puzzle and cannot be a coincidence.

On the board at #35

Now back to the elusive Mike Shenk WSJ meta.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Submitted. Maybe another Dole Whip!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beamed up after a kindly and much appreciated nudge to refocus back on a couple of things that I had dismissed too quickly.

Hit a small but obstinate snag in the middle even though I knew the path had to be right, then a small amount of uncertainty at the end that eventually resolved into 'this has to be it' :) Overall a fun journey.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ricky

Post by ricky »

This is a weird one for me because I am almost certain I have the answer based on the title, prompt, and a couple of oddities in the grid but I haven't yet figured out how to confirm it from the puzzle as a whole.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Tina

Post by Tina »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:06 pm Just starting on week 3 and having this ear worm

I'm GenX and this is my earworm:

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Tina wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:01 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:06 pm Just starting on week 3 and having this ear worm

I'm GenX and this is my earworm:

KayW

Post by KayW »

Couldn’t think of a song title containing “Platter” to continue Joe’s musical CHAIN, so…
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe

Post by Joe »

With a helpful nudge, I expect to be beamed aboard soon!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed up.
three

Post by three »

Well, I’ve got what cannot be a coincidence, but nothing else to do with it…

EDIT: Thanks to @Wendy Walker for letting me focus on what I already had.
Last edited by three on Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MMe

Post by MMe »

I think an "incorrect" answer got accepted, because the number of wrong answer folks has decreased (from several back to zero).
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Got to this late but beam me up! Good one Matt!
Heidi
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!
baskin98

Post by baskin98 »

Got on the Zoom b/c I thought it would be about MGWCC, but it was in fact about WSJ. I have a pretty good start to MGWCC, would anyone be willing to listen and perhaps nudge?

EDIT: Figured it out!
Last edited by baskin98 on Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Hoping for a kick start nudge. I would be happy to share my fruitless pursuits, but I either have wasted a lot of time on a lot of nothing, or I need a bit of encouragement not to toss all of the scribbles away.

Thanks in advance..

Got there in the end (ouch!) thanks to a very helpful nudge that completely redirected my energies. Thanks so much for that!
Last edited by HoldThatThought on Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Hoping we get either the real or alternate answer. 🤞
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up!
Cindy Heisler
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, I think I got it, though I am not sure if I missed a step or two. I am hoping I was not premature. The light bulb went on and I followed the beam, then soon after I got a nudge that I thankfully did not have to use so I can actually claim to have done this week's!! (well depending on the verdict on the site...)

EDIT: Well DARN! I see that I fired too soon and my greatest fear (well not greatest) has ben realized. I got the mechanism. solved the puzzle but did not REALLY solve the puzzle. Maybe Matt will be generous....

EDIT 2: It appears that Matt has taken pity on me and allowed my wimpy answer. Ah, I can feel the world start to revolve again, phew! It's not like it is going ot extend my streak that far because I am sure that the upcoming week 4 will leave no doubt about my ability to solve difficult puzzles, but for now - sweet rapture!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!