MEOW #91 Talk Like a Sailor

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
KayW

Post by KayW »

DrTom wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:48 pm
Dplass wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:20 pm
KayW wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:54 pm :arrow_up: I couldn't say it better myself, so I won't. Fantabulous!!

Wouldn't a naval cat be drinking rum?
Yes, and possibly Mercy Rum?
picky, picky, picky... show a cat a little Mercy will ya?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I dunno. Captain Haddock is my standard of all things nautical.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

I've submitted my answer - think the cat is out of the bag but we'll see (I did version 1). Good puzzle, Dr. Tom - thank you!

Edit: confirmed :D
Last edited by MarkWoychick on Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
hoover

Post by hoover »

Submitted. Pretty sure the cat has climbed out of the cardboard box he was chewing on.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:56 pm
rjy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:43 pm

Not the best idea, @woozy... you do know Mercy Rum has mercury in it, right??
'M

But it's the messenger of the gods! And I need divine inspiration.
Oh, I doubt Bette Midler can help. Maybe you have a fever - we can take your temperature if you drink the rum.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Out of the box idea--nicely done!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

What fun! Great puzzle. I really liked this one.

The cat is nowhere to be seen.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Pretty good turnout for the first day I believe, and it appears that, though a surprisingly large number of folks have never heard of Mr. Cooper, the Meta is still solvable. People seem to be liking it and that pleases me no end (since I have had some clunkers of late). The solver board for today is:

1 Schmeel
2 boharr
3 Meg
4 BrennerTJ
5 Dplass
6 Wendy Walker
7 BarbaraK
8 MarkWoychick
9 LauraH
10 Hoover
11 Abide
12 lbray53
13 markhr

It is possible I have missed someone because I was getting notified in several different ways, and if I have please let me know.

So as they used to say in the Navy "Carry on" (they really didn't mean it though, because I would and they would always say "Oh stop your carrying on! - darn hypocrites)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Not my week for metas, it seems. Eagerly awaiting nudges!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

I believe the cat is out! Awaiting confirmation, but pretty confident.

Great puzzle, DrTom!!

EDIT: Confirmed!
markhr

Post by markhr »

Enjoyed this one a lot. A nice out-of-the-box puzzle.
Well done, Dr. Tom.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Whoops two more for the board, a late solver and someone I missed earlier:

14 Alvibu67
15 KayW
rjy

Post by rjy »

Finally got it, and wow! Agree with the earlier praise, this one's pretty great!

Constructors create these gems and toss them out into the ether, it's a shame they can't see the immediate grins and reactions when the AHA! moment finally hits. I'm still smiling about cracking this nut, and thinking about the inspiration and construction of it... not to mention @DrTom's over-achieving by working the mechanism into two effectively different puzzles.

Hope plenty of folks get this one nudgelessly!
Ray
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Pretty sure I got it; waiting on confirmation from DrTom. Great puzzle!
Cynthia
woozy

Post by woozy »

rjy wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:12 pm
Constructors create these gems and toss them out into the ether, it's a shame they can't see the immediate grins and reactions when the AHA! moment finally hits.
But on the other hand they can't see the cursing wtf moments when it seems an orderless and arbitrary repetition of letters with no discernible pattern and no relation to two completely arbitrary and unrelated concepts.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Cat is out! Fun!
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

It took longer than it should have, but the cat is finally out.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

I believe the cat is out. Waiting for confirmation from DrTom. Amazing construction!!
Cindy Heisler
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

rjy wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:12 pm Constructors create these gems and toss them out into the ether, it's a shame they can't see the immediate grins and reactions when the AHA! moment finally hits.
That’s a great thing about the WSJ zoom solves - seeing the expressions when the aha moment hits.

Sometimes wonder if one of the people there with no video is really Mike or Matt.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, you all cannot see it but I am blushing! This praise is usually reserved for the really accomplished constructors and after my rather clunky Household Names (wow can it be almost month old already) I was ready to hang up the grid maker. But Mine Sweeper was well received, and I am overwhelmed by the kudos for this one...well now you've done it, you've encouraged me to make more. You may "DEEPLY REGRET" (3) the day.