MEOW #91 Talk Like a Sailor

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

MEOW #91 Talk Like a Sailor

Post by DrTom »

Well it has happened again. Apparently the Gods decreed that I get this week's MEOW. So while our industrious Josh pursues his educational goals, I am going to feebly try to match his inventiveness.

Oh and to answer the inevitable question - nope you have not entered some kind of feline way-back machine, this grid DOES look familiar. However, this is NOT Jailbird and is a distinctly different mechanism. It is not as clever as the grid that inspired it but it is probably just as difficult and I can almost guarantee that during the solving process you will talk like a sailor either at the oddness of the fill or the path to the solve.

Ever cautious of sending out a “hey you made a mistake” Meta, this is presented in two formats. The answer and mechanism is exactly the same, but the grids are, as you can plainly see, different. Version 1 is, in the opinion of this sailor, more “anatomically” correct while Version 2 is probably what Mr. Google (and trust me most of you will need Mr. Google) would offer up if asked. So I’ll leave it to you to choose.

My apologies in advance for some of the clunky fill and the need to use Google, but hey you are going to need Google anyway so.... I would rate this as a Puma just because it may take some time to see the mechanism.

Hints will be Saturday (unless I get a signal that there is a general mutiny and a call for me to walk the plank) and a leaderboard will be posted. PM me with answers, questions or requests to keel-haul me.

Version 1: Talk Like a Sailor PUZ

Version 1: Talk Like a Sailor PDF

Version 1: Talk Like a Sailor spreadsheet

Version 2: Talk Like a Sailor PUZ

Version 2: Talk Like a Sailor PDF

Version 2: Talk Like a Sailor spreadsheet

NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well.... I know what I don't know.....
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Google used.
Cat's gone.
Good puzzle!

[REDACTED]
Last edited by Schmeel on Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Redacted by author.
Last edited by Dplass on Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

If you think it might be a spoiler, I'll delete it.

Edit: On second thought, I just deleted it.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Duh it usually helps to read the bleeping prompt before trying to solve the bleeping meta.....apologies to @schmeel. I am an idiot, a moron and a buffoon.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well the posts seem to be going in an interesting direction...heck I have people posting like sailors!

A correction is in order - It has nothing to do with the Meta, but unfortunately my OCD doesn't run to fact checking, 18A in Ver 1 is a Representative, not a Senator. Sorry for the political faux pas.

T

ALL FILES HAVE BEEN CORRECTED. USE THE LINKS IN POST #1.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Dplass wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:39 am Duh it usually helps to read the bleeping prompt before trying to solve the bleeping meta.....apologies to @schmeel.
No problem at all.
I understand how what I wrote may have been a bit of a spoiler anyway, or at least provided some information about the solve. So I was more than happy to have deleted it, and I thank you for redacting the quote too.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Upon leaving the couch, the cat bellowed *%&###**!!##.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Off the couch (Version 1). A challenge indeed from Dr. Tom!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The solvers are mounting, but then so are the mistakes. Meg pointed out that Version 2 55A has an error, instead of Deposed dictator Amin it should be: Computer methodology for electronic information exchange.

What can I say, I'm an idiot! In a dash to fill a difficult grid I let expediency dictate a dictator. Luckily he was deposed and now we have deposed him again...IDO, IDIed, IDUH.

T

ALL FILES HAVE BEEN CORRECTED. USE THE LINKS IN POST #1.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Solved.

I gotta say this is just brilliant. Bravo. Insanely great. Wow.

Worthy of a MEOW, indeed.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:arrow_up: I couldn't say it better myself, so I won't. Fantabulous!!

Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

KayW wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:54 pm :arrow_up: I couldn't say it better myself, so I won't. Fantabulous!!

Wouldn't a naval cat be drinking rum?
Meg

Post by Meg »

Great puzzle, Dr. T. Even with the teeny typos.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:20 pm
KayW wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:54 pm :arrow_up: I couldn't say it better myself, so I won't. Fantabulous!!

Wouldn't a naval cat be drinking rum?
Yes, and possibly Mercy Rum?
woozy

Post by woozy »

I need Mercy Rum as I'm going under.
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
rjy

Post by rjy »

woozy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:21 pm I need Mercy Rum as I'm going under.
Not the best idea, @woozy... you do know Mercy Rum has mercury in it, right??
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

rjy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:43 pm

Not the best idea, @woozy... you do know Mercy Rum has mercury in it, right??
'M

But it's the messenger of the gods! And I need divine inspiration.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

I’m seeing something but not sure how to get an answer from it? Hmmmmmm…. Send some of that rum my way too