MGWCC #741 - “Time Travel”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Tina

Post by Tina »

Awesome meta! IMHO, closer to a week 3 than a week 2. Maybe a 2.5.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I would have solved this a bit faster if I had managed got stuck on the square like everyone else, but because I filled in the square with no issue the puzzle was much harder for me.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

This is another week when I'm absolutely amazed at the way Matt looks at the world and notices things he can turn into metas.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

HunterX wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:46 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:14 pm I too was stuck for a while on THAT SQUARE. I solved on the way to a luncheon meeting ... thank goodness, as the finance committee report I gave was a lot more cheerfully presented than it would have been otherwise.
WW: Revenues were up 4% quarter over quarter due to seasonality, but down from last year's second quarter due to increased.... Wait.... THAT'S IT! That @#$% square... Uh, where was I... expenses even... cash shortfall... the embezzlement thing... yada yada yada... it's in my report. Contact me Monday if you have questions. OUTTA HERE!
OMG, Hunter! It's like you were there!!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Cute puzzle today. Solved it. Just waiting on the leaderboard to update. Not entirely sure which square people are finding troublesome.

edit: #154
Last edited by SJMcK on Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steven McKinney
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Beam me up. Devious!

Edit: Nice to be quoted in the write-up of last week's puzzle, in the company of @MikeyG, too!
Last edited by benchen71 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Enjoyed this puzzle. Got to it late but beamed up!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Took a few cycles to overcome the square of confusion, but got there eventually. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Grid done early, but no clue what to do. Mowed the lawn and inspiration came. On shore.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Submitted an answer, waiting to be beamed up (or denied, I suppose) - will update when I know for sure but I think I got it...

Edit: confirmed at #183
Last edited by MarkWoychick on Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:32 pm This is another week when I'm absolutely amazed at the way Matt looks at the world and notices things he can turn into metas.
My thoughts exactly! Who notices something like this ( the phenomenon of the solution) ?? I guess if it’s part of your livelihood and you do it as much as Matt, you just see things like this!
The other Wendy. :roll:
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Struck out on this one. I had my justification but clearly not warranted... More time to work on WSJ.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
rjy

Post by rjy »

Square of confusion was a bit of a speed bump, but rethought it to beam up outta here. And yet another look into the twisted mind of Mr Gaffney, I continue to be amazed by the myriad directions these metas can go.

Aaaaaaand back to WSJ… Enjoy your weekend, all!
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:14 pm I too was stuck for a while on THAT SQUARE. I solved on the way to a luncheon meeting ... thank goodness, as the finance committee report I gave was a lot more cheerfully presented than it would have been otherwise.
WW: Revenues were up 4% quarter over quarter due to seasonality, but down from last year's second quarter due to increased.... Wait.... THAT'S IT! That @#$% square... Uh, where was I... expenses even... cash shortfall... the embezzlement thing... yada yada yada... it's in my report. Contact me Monday if you have questions. OUTTA HERE!
That EMBEZZELMENT thing??? You can't just sneak that in there without someone noticing (and apparently you cannot sneak it out without someone noticing either). Are you going to have to update your avatar to show it in an orange jumpsuit?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I apparently am part of a rather growing crowd of (1) What kind of square is that??? (2) How does he think of these things? I have submitted an answer that I think makes sense (the crowd mumbles, "makes sense to you DrTom, but that may well be open to question") and is mechanistic, but we'll see. If it is not the mechanism it should have been.

EDIT: Hurrah I was right - #227 and a grand streak of 2 going on. If past performance is any indication, it may get to 3 but probably not 4. Doesn't matter, right now I'm giddy with success :D
Last edited by DrTom on Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:05 am
That EMBEZZELMENT thing??? You can't just sneak that in there without someone noticing (and apparently you cannot sneak it out without someone noticing either). Are you going to have to update your avatar to show it in an orange jumpsuit?
I worked at a federally insured bank for 35 years, and back in the day (ah... the start of the "When I was a young buck..." story) we were required to take at least one full week of vacation at a time. (It apparently used to be 2 weeks. But when I started, I was lucky to get 2 weeks total for the year.) The reason was that the Feds decided if embezzlement was going on, having everyone be forced to be away for one (or two) weeks would reveal the scheme. Even though I was a standard business-school banker, I knew enough about the computer systems we used that my boss joked that I should have to take a month off at a time. I lobbied for that to happen. Alas, never got remotely close to getting it.

And actually, while they made me a sys admin for our LAN, for reasons I can't quite remember, we never handled funds transactions. So I couldn't have set up a scheme if I even wanted to. I like my pinstripe suits to be well tailored, not state issued.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed up.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!

Hope I’m right. We’re traveling (appropriately enough), and I did this one on the fly. (No, not on the plane. But jet lagged.)

UPDATE: On the board!
Last edited by ChrisKochmanski on Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up. Arrived at the correct answer in spite of the confusion with "the square". Streak still intact.
Cindy Heisler
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed up with the correct answer. I needed reassurance that I was right and then a nudge to see the complete mechanism. I could not get past the troublesome square mentioned by several here. I could not, in good conscience, claim a solo solve.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!