MGWCC #741 - “Time Travel”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ReB

Post by ReB »

Aargh! I figured out all the months and got to the last step, of looking at April-June (the missing four months), but it just didn't occur to me to repeat the three letter pattern and look at the remaining letters. That was just a bit beyond my vision it seems. That's two metas this week that I stumbled after making it to the last step (the other being "Hello Operator" where I performed the math operations and generated the correct letters but couldn't order them correctly).
KayW

Post by KayW »

...not to mention, 6A YUST gives me an opportunity to share this Christmas-in-August link:

Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:18 pm
RUST obliterates the elegance of 6A.
Indeed; my points being "when you're filling in the grid, your mind wants to make a real word, even if you have already filled in other month-endings elsewhere in the grid", and "Y"AP would have been more sensible (in my mind; YMMV) with a clue tuned more toward annoying, long-winded conversation, like this could qualify as if I do another reply. :)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Early this morning, a solver entered the answer as their 'unique name' which showed at the bottom of the Overall tab as having 0 cumulative correct solves - it has since been removed & the solver given credit, (I'm sure).
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:28 pm

Or banned for life.
Jay
woozy

Post by woozy »

ReB wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:22 pm ... but it just didn't occur to me to repeat the three letter pattern and look at the remaining letters. That was just a bit beyond my vision it seems. ....
That's why I said it wasn't elegant. The mechanisms are not consistently applied. But the puzzleness of it all really makes up for it in my opinion. Anyone can do a puzzle where you just have to spell something out but one where you have to really chew at it is a real treat.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Wasn't until I actually wrote out the March-May set splitting off the first three that I figured out 6D. Took me 4 or 5 sessions to spot that.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer