"This Place Has Changed" August 12, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JJD

Post by JJD »

I was partially on the right track, but I was focused on capital cities that had changed names, as opposed to all possible cities in the world (or a continent.) Also, I couldn’t unsee Dublin.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:44 am I'd be interested to learn which city was the first that folks "saw." For me it was Durban.
Tunis.
Cynthia
femullen

Post by femullen »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:44 am I'd be interested to learn which city was the first that folks "saw." For me it was Durban.
Durban for me too. Then quickly Lagos. At that point I was just trying to confirm AFRICA, so the rest came in pretty short order. As confessed in a previous post, though, this is not the speed at which I typically find solutions.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

I was convinced the answer was Alaska by substituting a letter and anagramming:
lAgos
?
moanA
auStin
uKraine
dubAi

I just couldn't get the L.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I spent the most time in the Greek letter rabbit hole. I saw EPSILOG/epsilon and LTA/eta and was sure I was onto something (never mind that no place names were involved). I found many instances where the themer letters could be transformed into xi, pi, mu, and nu, but I could never make the letters spell anything. And there were more than 6.

The African-cities-with-one-letter-changed were all at either the beginning or the end of the themers. If I had been thinking more clearly, I would have realized that ISPEN/Aspen didn't fit. Spent a lot of time looking at several cities not in Africa.
Cynthia
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Lagos
vandono

Post by vandono »

Naples, unfortunately. :)
boharr

Post by boharr »

Lagos
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

In order:

LAGOS
TUNIS
FEZ (DOH!)
ORAN
ACCRA
DURBAN
  • Aurbin - interwebbed, nothing
  • dArbin - interwebbed, nothing
  • duAbin - interwebbed, nothing
  • durAin - interwebbed, nothing
  • durbAn - interwebbed, A-HA!*

*Yes, I was that clueless.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

femullen wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:55 am
Durban for me too. Then quickly Lagos. At that point I was just trying to confirm AFRICA, so the rest came in pretty short order.
Same here.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Fez while filling in the answer, then looked right at logos/Lagos.

My company had a plant in Durban. Roma was the one that threw me, by not being in Africa.

Still very happy to be ashore, after many weeks adrift.
Rufus T. Firefly
KayW

Post by KayW »

I saw LAGOS almost immediately. But geography is NOT my strong suit and I didn't see anything else for a long time. I knew FEZ only as a hat but it finally occurred to me to look it up. When I saw it was a place, I started looking harder. I'd at least heard of TUNIS and ACCRA.

I was hung up for a long time on the similar:
PEPSI/PEZDI/PENSE
SULTAN/NUTNAS
CURAIN/DURBIN

but couldn't get anywhere with those.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Lagos, and then Tunis (our street name when we lived in SoCal).

Fez was last. Mentally dismissed using Pez for anything. Backsolved to get there.
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

Initially, I was stuck on URBIN/URBAN, finding SILO in pepSI LOgos, PEZ -> PAZ (as in LA PAZ, Bolivia).

Durban & Lagos were the first correct winners for me. Tunis wasn't far behind, not because I knew Tunis, but because I knew Tunisia, and quickly learned that there was a Tunis within Tunisia. At that point, I had 3 full words from the long clues transformed into new cities- no jumbling or partial/multiple word use required, all of them were in Africa, and the changed letters top to bottom spelled out A__I_A. It was obvious that I had the solution correct now, and I just needed to backsolve the rest for confirmation before I submitted. One quick Google search to pull up a list of large African cities, and a few minutes later, I'd confirmed the F, R, and C.

Without Google, FEZ is only a hat to me, I'd forgotten that Accra existed (though I have at least heard of it before) and Omar is just a man's name. Fortunately, the other 3 got me on the right path.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Lagos
Richard

Post by Richard »

Durban then Lagos.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Saw Lagos, then Tunis, never got Fez (kept seeing La Paz) and kept seeing Dublin (for Durbin, and knew it was wrong).

Was also stuck seeing Accaba (or variants - the city in Jordan) for Acura, and Isle of Man ... so I had the concept, just not the execution. And was not finding places solely in Africa, so never saw that answer.

Never left the ship's bar.

It happens.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I saw Aspen and some other things like that, but pretty quickly saw Lagos, Accra, and Fez. I realized that you only had to look at whole words and looked at the largest cities in Africa. I should have seen Tunis without the list, but I hadn't heard of Durban or Oran.

The thing I found most funny was that the answer didn't relate to the title, but something that all of the cities have in common. I could have submitted "Africa" without seeing the letter replacements, though it's the most common way to get a letter. In that sense, you can't possibly be "pageanted" by this puzzle.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Lagos for me
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Lagos and Tunis were 1 and 2. When I replaced Agra with Accra at 3, I knew I was on the right track and suspected where the final answer was headed.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com