#90 I'd forget my head if it weren't attached

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, here's an early nudge before the real nudges tomorrow

Every clue has one answer. Some of these answers are broken into two grid entries.
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:16 pm Well, here's an early nudge before the real nudges tomorrow

Every clue has one answer. Some of these answers are broken into two grid entries.
Well that kinda confused me even more...if that is possible here. I THINK I know what I have to do, I just can't do it.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

I’m with you @DrTom hoping the other nudges help!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay, some nudges

Obviously the clues with numbers in brackets are important. They are pretty much the only things that are important. I wouldn't worry what the numbers mean at this point so much as to use them to identify the themers.

Some of the themers are broken into two grid entries. Treat those two entries as though they were a single themer.

You now have eight themers.

What do you see when you look at the themers? Do they remind you of anything?

Try to identify concepts or things that are related or belong to a category.

Okay, now you should try to figure out what the bracket numbers mean.

Each themer will yield an item in a category and one other thing.

Eight themers, eight objects, eight letters. Nothing left but to figure out the order.

And if you weren't able to figure out all the nudges: What categories has eight members

Alternative titles: What a muddleCome down to earthWhat a muddle! I'm really spaced out. I'd forget my head.
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

AHHHH click! I was soooo close and didn't see what I needed until one of the nudges blew it open for me. Thanks for the puzzle!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Thanks for the puzzle and the nudges, woozy - finally got it with the assist of the hints
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Got it finally! The nudges helped! Very clever, Woozy! I’m just not clever! 😂
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

The cat has been nudged out of the bag. Thanks for the challenge, woozy.
woozy

Post by woozy »

The leaderboard is coming along nicely with 18 solves:

DJB
Hector
Darth
Meg
boharr
hoover
whimsy
Gutman
I K Snamhcok
lbray53
DIS
Cindy Heisler
CPJohnson
edestlin
Mwoychick
Ergcat
Laura M
Dow Jones

Good job all!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Finally came back around to this one and boy am I glad I did. Once I figured out what was going on, I got on the right track, corrected course a few times as I realized MORE of what was going on, etc. All the nudging I needed was really the assurance of the first few (where to focus), and the theme/idea jumped out at me. So fun to see the solution word materialize. (“Ohhhhh… ! “)
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Cat's out, thanks to the nudges! Thanks, woozy.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
rjy

Post by rjy »

Needed the nudges, but finally got this one. Cool concept, @woozy, and one of those that’s pretty amazing to reverse engineer to think consider how you came up with the concept and executed it. A challenge for you, a challenge for us!
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

Few more the leader board:

Wendy S HeadinHome
BrennerTJ
ReB solved
rjy
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:50 am Few more the leader board:

Wendy S HeadinHome
BrennerTJ
ReB solved
rjy
And me!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:45 am

Wendy S HeadinHome
BrennerTJ
ReB solved
rjy
And me!
And you. Did you submit on Crosshare?
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I'm on fourth nudge in the Nudge Barrage earlier. I'm really curious about this one and will ruminate on that nudge a bit to see if I can crack it or if I need to go on some more!

Edit: Wait a minute...hmmm...I think I might have just seen something! Where are you, cat???

Cat is out! I don't know how in the world I saw what I needed to, but I did. A clever challenge!!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:12 am
benchen71 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:45 am

Wendy S HeadinHome
BrennerTJ
ReB solved
rjy
And me!
And you. Did you submit on Crosshare?
No. I messaged you here at XWord-Muggles.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay... I guess that explains why you didn't show up when I did the cut and past.

So we have:

benchen71 (we aren't listening them by any score)
Mikey G

23 submissions and 97 solves of which only 13 didn't need assists.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Reveal:

The clues:
  • My liquor I offer for clemency
  • Very sage advice for a vampire
  • Elegant venue for entertainment
  • Mother and other western madams
  • Just a melee about a French skirt (or a Scottish tunic, or maybe about that SpaceX teeny dwelling rental)
  • Sat around in the original language
  • Upon the Micronesian nation you will find its capital-- Yaren-- and it's most populous city-- Denigomodu; pop. 2,827
  • Needles may pierce a vein to allow bloodletting or IV feeding
The entries (and their significant letters):
  • [1-5]MERCY RUM[1-3]
  • [1-3]SUN NEVer[1-3]
  • [2-7]tHEATRE
  • [1-5]MARMS
  • [1-4]JUPE RIOT[1-4]
  • [1-7]UNTRANSlated
  • [1-5]NAURU ISland[1-2]
  • [2-9]vENEPUNCTure
The mechanism:
  • MERCY RUM =>Mercury + M
  • SUN NEV=>Venus + N
  • HEATRE=>Earth + E
  • MARMS=>Mars + M
  • JUPE RIOT=>Jupiter + O
  • UNTRANS=>Saturn + N
  • NAURU IS=>Uranus + I
  • ENEPUNCT=>Neptune + C
The solution:

MNEMONIC

as in "My Very Elegant Mother Just Sat Upon Needles" as a method to memorize the planets in order.
Last edited by woozy on Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoover

Post by hoover »

1. I never used a mnemonic to learn the planets (or SOHCAHTOA sine-cosine-tangent or PEDMAS/BODMAS order of operations, for that matter).
  2. I have heard mnemonics for the planets, but not this one, so I didn't even notice it in the cluing.
  3. Pluto is a planet, darn it!