MGWCC #740 — “Contact Sport”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

I had fun with this one (my answer still not confirmed).

I think I understand wrong guesses on week 1s in general.

While we haven't been trying to solve the MGWCCs for long, I have been surprised to see the week 1s are actually pretty varies. Sometimes there really isn't a mechanism per se, it's more of a theme. Some of the ones that had no mechanism, I wasn't sure of the answer I submitted.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

The amount of incorrect answers has decreased. Alternate correct solution, perhaps?
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:47 pm The amount of incorrect answers has decreased. Alternate correct solution, perhaps?
On the board at #268

How can you tell how many incorrect answers have been submitted?

Steven McKinney
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I have submitted something I think ought to be right. Of course I have been so bad at these lately I am never sure. Now back to the WSJCC...
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

SJMcK wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:10 am How can you tell how many incorrect answers have been submitted?
My understanding was that you compare the number of successful entries on the "This Week" tab with the number on the "Overall" tab. Currently there are 310 solvers (with @DrTom at #310) on "This Week", and 310 "Overall". So it looks like there are no wrong answers at the moment.

Or I have it completely wrong!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

Submitted an answer and thought it was right but then no confirmation?! Looked today and I am right there. Puzzling.did he accept an alternate answer?
ajk

Post by ajk »

benchen71 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:59 am
SJMcK wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:10 am How can you tell how many incorrect answers have been submitted?
My understanding was that you compare the number of successful entries on the "This Week" tab with the number on the "Overall" tab. Currently there are 310 solvers (with @DrTom at #310) on "This Week", and 310 "Overall". So it looks like there are no wrong answers at the moment.

This is also my understanding FWIW.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
woozy

Post by woozy »

339 overall and 337 solvers. So two wrong answers. .... so who is the other person keeping me company?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

woozy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:27 pm

339 overall and 337 solvers. So two wrong answers. .... so who is the other person keeping me company?
MGWCC #740 08061432.png
Barney

Post by Barney »

I’ll just note that my user name on that board is appropriate. (I did get this week, with a pointer.)
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

got this one solved yesterday, but since i so rarely have the opportunity to confirm a MGWCC victory, i didn't even think to post here until tonight.

i really liked how this one demonstrated that a puzzle *can* do a sports-derived meta mechanism (or a sports-centered theme more generally) while *also* not alienating any solvers who happen to lack pre-existing knowledge of said sports theme/sport/etc.

i will still never forgive that Sunday NYT puzzle from last month where familiarity with a specific brand of poker was, legitimately, a prerequisite for being able to solve the grid using the correct, game-based approach envisioned by the constructor/maybe by the editors.

(i.e., methodically, as opposed to just taking random rebus stabs everywhere until something, anything, hopefully triggered the "Congratulations!" popup; or, like in my case, as opposed to finally just admitting defeat and deciding that the misery wasn't worth maintaining even the personal record level of streak i'd managed to keep intact up to that point... it was a dark day, to say the least.)
Head scratcher

Post by Head scratcher »

Ashore
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Beam me up! A nice week 1. Feels good to get one after the week 5 masterpiece that I was never gonna get. Now to WSJ!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Congrats @KayW --- the ultimate solo solve!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Beamed....

thankful for week 1.
haydendog

Post by haydendog »

Answer submitted and I am 100% sure of this one.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC 740 Contact Sport reveal.png
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

I got it wrong but he has me as a correct response. Thought it was odd as my entry and when I appeared on the board was at least an hour or so apart. Maybe crediting 2 "right " answers.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

mflaminio wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:36 pm I got it wrong but he has me as a correct response. Thought it was odd as my entry and when I appeared on the board was at least an hour or so apart. Maybe crediting 2 "right " answers.
So what was your answer?
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

Handoff