Anagrammania - Cox and Rathvon, WSJ)

Enter if you dare!
Claudia

Anagrammania - Cox and Rathvon, WSJ)

Post by Claudia »

https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/docu ... 302022.pdf

Another great Cox and Rathvon puzzle! When I started it, it seemed impossible. But I persevered! A real workout!
Barney

Post by Barney »

Wow

Nope.
Meg

Post by Meg »

That was quite an anagram workout! Fun, as always.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Went through this one a lot faster than the normal Saturday cryptic. I enjoyed it a lot though.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I started this morning, and I'm still working on it. I've got a lot of it, but at least one of my answers is wrong. Some words have a lot of possible anagrams. And add to that they I may be anagramming the wrong word.

My first hurdle was understanding the instructions. Half of the words are anagrams, the other half are ... anagrams. I figured it out, but it took 2 cups of coffee.
Janet

Post by Janet »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:39 pm Went through this one a lot faster than the normal Saturday cryptic. I enjoyed it a lot though.
How's Pasadena doing these days? My kids got to decorate a float for the Rose parade one year. I think it took all night. I'm on the other side of the country now.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Pasadena is great. We live in the foothills above the Rose Bowl so we get to see the float building first hand as many are done right across the road from the stadium. We moved here from Darien, CT so it sounds like we may be doing the opposite of each other.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Half the battle for me with a C&R variety cryptic is to fully understand the instructions. Then I need to find that toehold entry or two. And finally I need patience to work my way through to the end. This one fit my usual pattern.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

I can't believe I finished it! But there are 2 or 3 I don't understand (7d and 22a, and maybe 9d). When the answers come out, do they explain the reasoning?
ellgee

Post by ellgee »

Katiedid wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:30 pm I can't believe I finished it! But there are 2 or 3 I don't understand (7d and 22a, and maybe 9d). When the answers come out, do they explain the reasoning?
22A: Clue with anagram is "Some schemer gets [raise -> arise]." "Some" is a hidden word indicator for schEMER GEts
7D: ROW (fight) + DIES (stops) = ROWDIES -> WEIRDOS
9D: This is the one where I'm not sure I got the definition right, but I think Clue with anagram is "[Verdi -> drive] song’s opening and closing." S (song's opening) + END (closing) = SEND
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I finally got to this one after being away last week, and having only limited time for puzzling (which that cccrrraaazzzyyy MGWCC Week 5 largely consumed).

Cool! From clue to clue, I struggled to think about which instructions I was applying, but it was all worth it, for a very satisfying solve.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Need help on 29a and 31a… 4d and 19d…
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Jeanrosz wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:56 pm Need help on 29a and 31a… 4d and 19d…
Took me a while to even start…but saw a couple openings and I was off to the races…except now I’m stuck…
TMart

Post by TMart »

That was great. Took a bit of time to understand the instructions, but great fun after that. These cryptics are seriously cutting into my meta time.
ellgee

Post by ellgee »

Jeanrosz wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:56 pm Need help on 29a and 31a… 4d and 19d…
29A Clue type: This is a normally written clue
Wordplay type: charade
Definition: "Dresses"

31A Clue type: This is a normally written clue
Wordplay type: hidden word
Definition: "Designer"

4D Clue type: This is a normally written clue
Wordplay type: double definition
Definition: "More sarcastic" is one of the definitions

19D Clue type: This clue has an anagrammed definition
Wordplay type: container/insertion
Definition: "Fleeing," but anagrammed

Good luck!
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

I was a week behind on my variety puzzle, so I completed this one today. I actually had the central row phrase before completing the rest of the puzzle. HEX really put together a great puzzle; as someone else pointed out, figuring out the right anagrams wasn't always easy. I really liked this one a lot.