MGWCC #739 — “My Cup Runneth Over” by Will Nediger

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

MGWCC #739 — “My Cup Runneth Over” by Will Nediger

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #739 — Friday, July 29th, 2022 — GUEST CONSTRUCTOR MONTH, PUZZLE #5 — “My Cup Runneth Over” by Will Nediger

GUEST CONSTRUCTOR MONTH 2022, WEEK 5:

Our Week 5 meta is by Will Nediger. I’ve long admired Will’s work — his outstanding blog is called Bewilderingly, which is an anagram of his byline — so I’m thrilled to have him in the anchor spot this month.

Will is a puzzlemaker from London, Ontario, where he lives with his wife and their two kids, Julian and Joseph (whose names, he notes, are “collectively supervocalic”). In addition to Bewilderingly, you can find his puzzles at the New Yorker, Vox, and The Browser.

Now let’s see what he’s conjured up for Week 5…

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is a beverage.

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.

BE CAUTIOUS IN YOUR COMMENTS. ANNOUNCING NUMBER OF STEPS IS SPOILERISH.

Thank you!

WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY CROSSWORD CONTEST?: MGWCC is available only to subscribers at my Patreon page. A subscription costs $3/month.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Since starting this puzzle, I've invented about 25 new and exciting beverages, all strings of gibberish letters.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

I'm [close]to figuring out this mechanism [edited: saying number of steps is spoilerish]

I suspect that the invisible final step is intricate and clever… [ edits] this is an impressive construction.

Now if only...where are you hiding?
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

I kept coming back to this puzzle and finally cracked it. Don’t know why I have more success with week 5s than week 3 and 4 puzzles. Stick with it! There is a lot to work through, but if you can see it through to the end, you will marvel at what Mr. Nediger was able to do here. I didn’t stick with it long enough last week unfortunately.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

HoldThatThought wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:14 pm I'm - what I hope is …

Now if only...where are you hiding
I'm in the same place. Grrr!
Heidi
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Hey mates, if anyone would like to collab on this I’m a bit lost. I think I’ve figured out step 1 [edited by mods]
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

I got there, but don’t applaud me. I had LOTS of help.
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Week 5 solo! Go, me!

Edit: #56 on the leaderboard. Amazing construction. I continue to be amazed at some of the meta concepts that can be made into actual crosswords.
Last edited by SJMcK on Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steven McKinney
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Sounds like I’m in good company - suspended in the transporter beam, midway between planet and starship.

I’ve got some stuff that’s clearly part of it. Not sure exactly how many steps it counts as or how many more to go. But no beverage has emerged yet. (Though I did come across a liquid that no one would drink and a misspelling of something tangentially related to beverages.)

I see that there are now only 2 wrong answers submitted, and I believe that yesterday there were 4, so either board problems or Matt has decided to accept an alternate answer.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

So near, but yet so far. Once I found the "Start Here" sign, I thought that the next paths would be easier to see. Wrong. I'm at least one turn from the finish with not even a rabbit hole in sight.
Jay
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

SJMcK wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:12 pm Week 5 solo! Go, me!
My thoughts exactly! If it hadn’t been for technical difficulties on the forum I would have been begging for help 8 hours in. As it was, i just kept plugging away and VOILA there it finally was! You who are stuck with something but not everything yet, I feels ya. It’ll come!

Beaming !!
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the tractor beam. Cool construction!

Edit: #58. Happy to be on the board!
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:24 pm
I see that there are now only 2 wrong answers submitted, and I believe that yesterday there were 4, so either board problems or Matt has decided to accept an alternate answer.
I just noticed the same thing...
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I'm pretty sure I got it.
But I think I'll consider it a little bit more before I submit to make sure I'm not missing anything else.

Edit: Beam me up!
Last edited by Schmeel on Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’ve transported.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Thankful to be on the board at #50. I would still be floundering if I hadn't gotten nudged!
Cindy Heisler
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed up.
ajk

Post by ajk »

I guess we can take the comments in the Wordle II thread to mean that posting is again encouraged, although I haven't actually seen anything explicitly stated yet (not that I've looked super hard :)).

Know the answer but not submitting because I didn't get there without reading some pretty explicit instructions (which even then took me some staring before I figured out how to follow them).
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Posting is encouraged, yes! Thank you all for your patience!