MGWCC #739 — “My Cup Runneth Over” by Will Nediger

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

I know this is short notice, but I will be happy to offer a decent nudge to anyone who PMs me before 11pm (eastern) this evening. After that, I'll be heading off to bed, so..

Fair warning, though - the mechanism is intricate. It's an impressive work of art, and an extremely challenging solve.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Beamed up with a lot of help. Enough of this one - on to new puzzles this week!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Well, not a lot of nudge-needing folks tonight. Best of luck to those still struggling!
BobDylan

Post by BobDylan »

HoldThatThought wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:25 pm Well, not a lot of nudge-needing folks tonight. Best of luck to those still struggling!
If you (or anyone else) sees this and is open to a nudge, I'll be so grateful, man. I'm 100% lost.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I did manage to rematerialize after some brainstorming after Isaac’s Last Call Zoom on Sunday.

And this seems an appropriate place to say, RIP Nichelle Nichols.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC 739 My Cup Runneth Over rev 3.png
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I could never have gotten on the board without some strong nudges. Just to confirm my answer, I checked the OED.
Rum 250.jpg
Jay
MMe

Post by MMe »

This one was quite a journey. Great job, Mr. Nediger.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

With apologies to Ed Ames

Sometimes in the morning when metas are sweet
I sit here beside them and think they're so neat
But if help is needed before I am done
My cup runneth over with rum

Sometimes in the evening I still do not see
I study the puzzle that mocks constantly
I drink like a pirate since I root for the Cubs

And now it is over, the deadline has passed
Somehow I solved it, but it kicked my behind
And so I'm relieved when it is week one

Congrats to Will on the construction and all those who solved it!!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
NoFeetMcGee

Post by NoFeetMcGee »

Gah, I had noticed the BURSTS/BURSITIS but couldn't find anything else to accompany it. The funny thing is that I very nearly submitted RUM as a hail-mary answer just because I saw it in 6d and it was the only drink I could find anywhere in the puzzle, even though that obviously wasn't the right solution. :lol:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

It's possible that this was the best puzzle this average solver has solved solo.

It took me a day to find the sets of L I I I s, relating them to the clue wording, with BURSITUS & ROLAIDS leading the way. Long Island Iced Tea*, right? I don't know if I've ever solved a Will Nediger meta, but - by his stellar reputation - I was sure there had to be a clean mechanism to nail this down. Another day+ and several hours of staring later, the "CUP" aspect hit. One last look before begging mercy turned the trick.

Well done, Will. Thank you for the challenge!

MGWCC 739 My Cup Runneth Over TEA.png
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I really don't think I could have gotten any closer than I did:
Picture26.png
spotter

Post by spotter »

That is tragic Al! wow
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

No "L" or "I" in the grid. Only six clues had "L" or "I" in the clue wording. Removing those letters from the clue words provided the next step. I noticed early on that the clue words with "I" removed, when forming new words sat atop the new words formed by removing "L" and "I" from clue words. It took quite a while to see the "cup" that was formed and then quite some more time to see what words ran over and out of the cups.

Also, the clue for the final word "MAX" was "And no more", signaling the end of the word chase.

Very well constructed meta by Will. Hope to see another of his metas in the future.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

"So, how'd you spend your Saturday?"

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
woozy

Post by woozy »

I wish I had actually tried to do this one.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

MikeyG wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:35 pm "So, how'd you spend your Saturday?"

And how many people sent in correct answers seeing RUM spelled out, and over a "cup" at that. One of the things that threw me was TAWA... didn't need to be there (even just changing THAWS to THANE or THERE), and with TER being at the top of all the "cups," I kept trying to find "---WA/TER."
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I first got hung up on 1) the show "I Do, I Do" which had the song that Ed Ames made famous and 2) the 23rd psalm both of which had the title in them.

Then I got a series of nudges/shoves and course corrections from @Wendy Walker which got me to TEA that was mentioned above.

When told @KayW that I was wrong, she made several course corrections/nudges/hits over the head to get me to the right answer. Definitely a week 5 and definitely not a solo solve!!

Congratulations to all who did a solo solve.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Small Wave Dave

Post by Small Wave Dave »

I was stuck at the same place as Al for a long time. Finally noticed ARGUED while staring blankly.

Also distracted by BERES, RUM, TAB, ORAN_G right there in the "cup" columns. And the missing I and L, plus TEN clued as X, had me obsessing over Roman numerals for awhile.

Figured the 16-column grid had to be significant, like maybe Runneth Over implied spilling into the extra column. Anybody understand why it's there?

Amazing puzzle that I felt fortunate to crack.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:10 pm
<snip>One of the things that threw me was TAWA... didn't need to be there (even just changing THAWS to THANE or THERE), and with TER being at the top of all the "cups," I kept trying to find "---WA/TER."
I think the rules Nediger set required that L and I be the only letters not in the grid. Every other letter is there at least once. TAWA/THAWS is the only W.
Last edited by Bird Lives on Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay