MGWCC #739 — “My Cup Runneth Over” by Will Nediger

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ricky

Post by ricky »

I am proud to say I solved this one solo. Great puzzle, definitely a Week 5.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Toast

Post by Toast »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:24 pm I see that there are now only 2 wrong answers submitted, and I believe that yesterday there were 4, so either board problems or Matt has decided to accept an alternate answer.
I gave one of those (independent) formerly wrong answers. Hi! (And a special hello and :sympathetic groan: to everybody else who's ever smugly submitted early just to watch their streak go up in flames. SO NOT FUN.) I look forward to finding out whether us alternates found convincing, but completely different, ways of misinterpreting the results, or whether that was just a technicality.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Toast wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:41 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:24 pm I see that there are now only 2 wrong answers submitted, and I believe that yesterday there were 4, so either board problems or Matt has decided to accept an alternate answer.
I gave one of those (independent) formerly wrong answers. Hi! (And a special hello and :sympathetic groan: to everybody else who's ever smugly submitted early just to watch their streak go up in flames. SO NOT FUN.) I look forward to finding out whether us alternates found convincing, but completely different, ways of misinterpreting the results, or whether that was just a technicality.
Interesting! Now wondering if my answer was the originally intended one or not (it did put me on the board). Would you please post the alternate answer after the deadline?
MattGaffney

Post by MattGaffney »

My apologies -- there have been no alternate answers accepted for Will Nediger's MGWCC #739 puzzle. There was a glitch today when I verified entries on my phone and it went back and marked a few incorrect answers as correct. I've since changed those back.

Apologies again for the confusion there.
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

I took calculus, complex variables, linear algebra and differential equations in college. This meta was harder -- and I had an army of Muggles who kindly offered nudges, shoves, prods, pushes and bulldozing to get me there.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Graph theory. That was a good one. Did you take that one?
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

HoldThatThought wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:20 pm Graph theory. That was a good one. Did you take that one?
That must have been invented after I graduated. Actually it was atomic physics that came closest to getting me.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Tensors and similar things blew me up.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I was 9/10s there and finally got it with a shove. Thanks @boharr
Heidi
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MattGaffney wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:33 pm My apologies -- there have been no alternate answers accepted for Will Nediger's MGWCC #739 puzzle. There was a glitch today when I verified entries on my phone and it went back and marked a few incorrect answers as correct. I've since changed those back.

Apologies again for the confusion there.
🤨

😉
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Got it with a small nudge. That last step took a while to sink in for me.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

ky-mike wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:58 am Got it with a small nudge. That last step took a while to sink in for me.
When a basin is knocking at your door, you'd better let that sink in!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Guffman wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:04 pm I took calculus, complex variables, linear algebra and differential equations in college.
Be on the lookout for a meta one day from yours truly that requires all of those things.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Beamed up. And exhausted.

I had nine trees taken down that had died or come down in recent storms. And this weekend I rented a log splitter and spent the weekend lifting heavy logs and stacking an absolute (and perhaps literal) ton of firewood. If the war in Europe causes a further spike in energy prices or a shortage this winter, as is expected by some, I have enough material to heat my home in the mountains for several years at least.

Splitting logs was how I relaxed this weekend each time I was exhausted from working on this labyrinth of a meta-puzzle.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Daniel Boone was a man, yes a big man. He didn't need to rent no tree splitter. Just sayin'.

[url]
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HoldThatThought wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:48 pm Daniel Boone was a man, yes a big man. He didn't need to rent no tree splitter. Just sayin'.

It's a fair cop.

Man, he must have really been huge! That axe looks like a toy hatchet in his hand!

And it must have been extremely sharp to work that well too! Or the wood was rotted.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

*click*

Beam me, SVP.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
gpj73

Post by gpj73 »

Anyone willing to send a nudge our way? Absolutely nothing is clicking with this one.
NoFeetMcGee

Post by NoFeetMcGee »

^same... the slightest of hints would be appreciated (even if there's no way I'm going to figure the rest out in time, I want to feel like I got *somewhere* at least ;) )
Joe

Post by Joe »

All good things must come to an end. I'll be saying goodbye to my beautiful green 50 badge tomorrow because I'm nowhere with this and don't think even a nudge will get me anywhere.

That said, if anyone's offering...................
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.