"Sounds Delicious" - July 29, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

ZooAnimalsOnWheels wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:22 pm
Bonnibel wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:33 pm A week from now we will be in Hawaii with our family and having authentic Mai Tais every night, for sure! And yes that is my license plate. Aloha everyone!
I love a good Trader Vic's style Mai Tai. No orange or pineapple juice please! If you have been around La Jolla for a while, you may remember a restaurant down in San Diego's Gaslamp called Mister Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge that did a great Mai Tai. They used light and dark rum and then put a little float of 151 on top, and those would get you donked in a hurry! I was sad when they closed, but False Idol inside Craft and Commerce is a pretty great spot for tiki drinks, too. Enjoy the islands!
I'd be happy to share my fabulous authentic recipe! I got it from Jose the bartender at Kapalua on Maui before they closed. No orange or POG or pineapple juice or grenadine please!!!! I make a MaiTai mix (simple syrup, or heat syrup, & curaçao) as a basis then add lemon juice and all the goodies including 3 kinds of rum. Trader Vic's would be proud! Trader Vic's in Beverly Hills was always a favorite! I'll have to check out the tiki bars near LaJolla. Aloha!
🌴🍹
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

BethA wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:06 pm I was imagining page 1. Also had pasta tonight - tortellini. What rhymes with that?
Former Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini?
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Bonnibel wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:36 am
Bonnibel wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:33 pm A week from now we will be in Hawaii with our family and having authentic Mai Tais every night, for sure! And yes that is my license plate. Aloha everyone!
I love a good Trader Vic's style Mai Tai. No orange or pineapple juice please! If you have been around La Jolla for a while, you may remember a restaurant down in San Diego's Gaslamp called Mister Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge that did a great Mai Tai. They used light and dark rum and then put a little float of 151 on top, and those would get you donked in a hurry! I was sad when they closed, but False Idol inside Craft and Commerce is a pretty great spot for tiki drinks, too. Enjoy the islands!
I'd be happy to share my fabulous authentic recipe! I got it from Jose the bartender at Kapalua on Maui before they closed. No orange or POG or pineapple juice or grenadine please!!!! I make a MaiTai mix (simple syrup, or heat syrup, & curaçao) as a basis then add lemon juice and all the goodies including 3 kinds of rum. Trader Vic's would be proud! Trader Vic's in Beverly Hills was always a favorite! I'll have to check out the tiki bars near LaJolla. Aloha!
The best Mai tai I had while visiting Hawaii was in the Honolulu airport! No lie!
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

CPJohnson wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:57 pm
PHOFER wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:26 pm I’m surprised at how many people say they have never heard of agnolotti, my go-to pasta. I was introduced to it 40 years ago at a small Italian restaurant in DC, but I see it now on menus all the time. When it is done well it is heavenly.
Is it stuffed, like ravioli?
Yes, sometimes folded circles to make half-moons, sometimes pocketed squares like ravioli. Stuffing varies but my favorite is spinach and ricotta.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

TeaJenny wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:07 pm
PHOFER wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:26 pm I’m surprised at how many people say they have never heard of agnolotti, my go-to pasta. I was introduced to it 40 years ago at a small Italian restaurant in DC, but I see it now on menus all the time. When it is done well it is heavenly.
Would that restaurant be Luigi's, by any chance?
No, Trattu. Back when going to lunch during the workday was a thing.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

BethA wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:06 pm I was imagining page 1. Also had pasta tonight - tortellini. What rhymes with that?

Many thanks to all of the behind-the-scenes efforts to keep the forum going!!
A little muddled in the middle, but I'll offer --

"What we might have had if Lear wasn't a tragedy"
CordeliaQueenie
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Bonnibel wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:36 am
I am not a Mai Tai connoisseur but the Mai Tai’s at the Monkeypod Kitchen in Wailea are my favorite. They have honey-Lilikoi foam on top. Yum!
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is FLAVOR. Each of the six theme answers is a loose rhyme of a type of pasta whose length is given in the clue; for example, DREAD A GENIE rhymes with “fettuccine” and ZING MEANIE rhymes with “linguini.” The rest are agnolotti, vermicelli, orzo and ravioli. The first letters of these pastas spell the contest answer.

Happy August--we ended July with a funny puzzle from Matt that drew 1,443 submissions with 75% correct, right in line with our usual level. A big turnout for PASTAS (89)--from solvers who were clearly on the trail but didn't follow it all the way to the end. Also SIZZLE (8), ROTINI (4), DINNER (2), DELISH (2) and sundry others.

Congrats to this week's winner: Chris del Balzo of Johns Creek, Ga.!
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Happy to report I spent very little time on this one as I was traveling from Friday until this morning. "Loose" rhymes indeed. Even after reading the mechanism I didn't get the other three. I've been doing these since the first one came out, and this is by far the most disappointing. Sorry Matt, but this is a one star.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:26 pm The contest answer is FLAVOR. Each of the six theme answers is a loose rhyme of a type of pasta whose length is given in the clue; for example, DREAD A GENIE rhymes with “fettuccine” and ZING MEANIE rhymes with “linguini.” The rest are agnolotti, vermicelli, orzo and ravioli. The first letters of these pastas spell the contest answer.

Happy August--we ended July with a funny puzzle from Matt that drew 1,443 submissions with 75% correct, right in line with our usual level. A big turnout for PASTAS (89)--from solvers who were clearly on the trail but didn't follow it all the way to the end. Also SIZZLE (8), ROTINI (4), DINNER (2), DELISH (2) and sundry others.

Day 2 of Mug Celebrations at Flying_Burrito hhld. Tonight linguine al pesto, with some Dolcetto red wine
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Flying_Burrito wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:34 pm
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:26 pm The contest answer is FLAVOR. Each of the six theme answers is a loose rhyme of a type of pasta whose length is given in the clue; for example, DREAD A GENIE rhymes with “fettuccine” and ZING MEANIE rhymes with “linguini.” The rest are agnolotti, vermicelli, orzo and ravioli. The first letters of these pastas spell the contest answer.

Day 2 of Mug Celebrations at Flying_Burrito hhld. Tonight linguine al pesto, with some Dolcetto red wine
Congrats on the mug!! I thought your earlier post was one of our many wishful thinking posts for the mug.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Thanks LadyBird, it was not a pretty one but I will take it. It will add 5+ pounds to my girth after my 5-days of pasta celebrations. I am like Bubba in Forrest Gump when it comes down to pasta dishes (and yes, there are several pasta recipes with shrimps...)
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Woo hoo! Another muggle mug winner!

Belated congratulations. (Previous post went right over my head too:)
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I figured that must be you, Burrito! You certainly called it!
Congratulations and slosh that Chianti into your new mug!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:24 pm Woo hoo! Another muggle mug winner!

Belated congratulations. (Previous post went right over my head too:)
Yeah, I saw the earlier post and wondered if it was official. Glad to see that it was!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Flying_Burrito wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:59 pm Thanks LadyBird, it was not a pretty one but I will take it. It will add 5+ pounds to my girth after my 5-days of pasta celebrations. I am like Bubba in Forrest Gump when it comes down to pasta dishes (and yes, there are several pasta recipes with shrimps...)
Glad to see Mike's official notification. I am only one state over from you right now. If you find that you are ever going to be in north Alabama, let me know and if I am here, I would love to have you come to visit. On this trip, I will be here until Saturday.
KayW

Post by KayW »

SOUNDS like she mistakenly ordered the SAVVY GOALIE...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

KayW wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:02 am Image

SOUNDS like she mistakenly ordered the SAVVY GOALIE...
The Agnostic Manicotti?
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

MikeM000 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:00 am
clue: “woo an Italian filmmaker”

anybody?
The other Wendy. :roll:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

HeadinHome wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:18 am
MikeM000 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:00 am
clue: “woo an Italian filmmaker”

anybody?
Go Fellini!

🙂
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!