"Sounds Delicious" - July 29, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

ReB wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:40 pm Based on the title, I was looking for rhymes but just couldn't make the connection with pastas. Though I did find some other interesting food suggestions: BREAD, ZINGER [tea], JELLY, SOURDOUGH, SAVORY AIOLI. Tonya zloty though was a complete baffler.
To piggyback off your post --
-The BREAD and JELLY had me trying to figure out how Peanut Butter fit in
-SHOREDOUGH reminded me of "Sure Do" (fits "sounds" but not really "delicious"); I think this may have been triggered by an NYT(?) clue from last week of "Reckon so" whose entry was ISPOSE.
-Doesn't fit the title too well but the one long answer was kinda close to I Dream of Jeannie.
-Living in a heavily Polish area I knew pronunciations are different (last name "Grzecki" = "Jet Ski", basically) and Google gave me 3 syllables for "zloty" (za-la-tee). Not that that affected my final outcome, but still....
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

escapeartist wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:15 am I noticed that 5 of the 6 long answers ended in "ie" or "y" - which led down the path of adding "yum" (sounds delicious) to the end of the theme answers to get periodic table elements.

I got Plutonium and Gallium but couldn't make it work for the rest.

The clue with (4) was a real stopper on that rabbit hole.

Never saw that but lit early on Geranium--took me to "yum"--which had me searching, in vain, for sounds for delicious!!
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

Bonnibel wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:33 pm A week from now we will be in Hawaii with our family and having authentic Mai Tais every night, for sure! And yes that is my license plate. Aloha everyone!
I love a good Trader Vic's style Mai Tai. No orange or pineapple juice please! If you have been around La Jolla for a while, you may remember a restaurant down in San Diego's Gaslamp called Mister Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge that did a great Mai Tai. They used light and dark rum and then put a little float of 151 on top, and those would get you donked in a hurry! I was sad when they closed, but False Idol inside Craft and Commerce is a pretty great spot for tiki drinks, too. Enjoy the islands!
John77

Post by John77 »

Never having heard of agnolotti, I had a vanishingly small chance of getting this one.

At least the grid was manageable. Have a good week.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

We have a lot of white tail deer here in Ohio and I've never seen them eat acorns. But they do love geraniums. I thought that maybe Matt was tossing out a trick with that one. But, alas, another rabbit hole. And, we spent time in the SOURDOUGH rabbit hole as well.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

Was stranded off coast of Puerto Vallarta, not a beach in sight.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

TeaJenny wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:13 am
CPJohnson wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:46 am
DBMiller wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:00 am
Are the rhymes a bit on the impure side? Perhaps. Rhymes often are. You say orange, I say door hinge.
I was taught in elementary school that nothing rhymes with orange. A close failure is porridge.
I was taught that, too, but I've since learned otherwise:

"What rhymes with orange?

Orange rhymes with Blorenge (a mountain in Wales) and sporange (a technical word for a sac where spores are made)."

https://www.dictionary.com/e/rhyme-with-orange/
Who knew? Thanks, Muggles! I shall inform my word-loving daughter. (Including yours, too, @Wendy Walker )
Cynthia
Gman

Post by Gman »

KayW wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:29 am AGNOLOTTI was new to me. I had to back-solve that one after first getting to FLMVOR using MANICOTTI.
I have such a lousy ear that I thought it was ARRABIATA, which didn't quite work with the others, but close enough. Of course, sometimes it's spelled with two Bs, so it has 10 letters, but I was so excited to be early on the board that I committed right away. Of course, I then posted like an idiot, having completely ignored our trusted Cruise Director's instructions to NOT POST! :oops:
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

Jace54 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:45 am Savvy Goalie was where I found the way to the solution. I kept saying it out loud repeatedly and “ravioli” finally popped in my head. It was fun to figure out the rest, with a backsolve needed for agnolotti after some Google searching.
I think we had the EXACT same experience then. I set a reminder for 10 p.m. Sunday night to look at the WSJ puzzle if I didn't get it on Thursday. I pulled it out and said the long words out loud. Savvy Goalie for Ravioli was the first hit. Then that gave the (7) some meaning also so I could find the others. Orzo was next and then Vermicelli. By now I knew it was either Italian or pasta related so the the rest was easy except for the backsolve for the "A".
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

DBMiller wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:00 am
Are the rhymes a bit on the impure side? Perhaps. Rhymes often are. You say orange, I say door hinge.
I was taught in elementary school that nothing rhymes with orange. A close failure is porridge.

Orange rhymes with Blorenge (a mountain in Wales) and sporange (a technical word for a sac where spores are made)."

A cluster of fungusy sporange
Infested my sweet little orange.
In a fit of despair
(And urged on by the hare)
I jumped from the heights of the Blorenge.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I am such a pasta lover that this puzzle was right up my alley. I guessed at the mechanism but had trouble thinking of a 4 letter word that rhymed with shore dough. When I got orzo I had fun with the others. I am making dreadagenie with pesto tonight.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

ship4u wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:39 pm And, we spent time in the SOURDOUGH rabbit hole as well.
Man! I caught a big red herring with that sour dough too, as well as Tonya😉😉🤣🤣
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

This puzzle didn't sound too delicious to me. I live in North Carolina and down here we would say "dread a genie" with a long A....didn't get the rhyming thing at ALL!
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

I’m surprised at how many people say they have never heard of agnolotti, my go-to pasta. I was introduced to it 40 years ago at a small Italian restaurant in DC, but I see it now on menus all the time. When it is done well it is heavenly.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

PHOFER wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:26 pm I’m surprised at how many people say they have never heard of agnolotti, my go-to pasta. I was introduced to it 40 years ago at a small Italian restaurant in DC, but I see it now on menus all the time. When it is done well it is heavenly.
Is it stuffed, like ravioli?
Cynthia
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

I got this puzzle very quickly. I coulda made page one but no, we weren’t allowed to post! I love pasta. Had it for supper tonight. Delicious!
BethA

Post by BethA »

I was imagining page 1. Also had pasta tonight - tortellini. What rhymes with that?

Many thanks to all of the behind-the-scenes efforts to keep the forum going!!
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

LadyBird wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:53 pm

A cluster of fungusy sporange
Infested my sweet little orange.
In a fit of despair
(And urged on by the hare)
I jumped from the heights of the Blorenge.
Bravo! Well said!
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

PHOFER wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:26 pm I’m surprised at how many people say they have never heard of agnolotti, my go-to pasta. I was introduced to it 40 years ago at a small Italian restaurant in DC, but I see it now on menus all the time. When it is done well it is heavenly.
Would that restaurant be Luigi's, by any chance?
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
pookie

Post by pookie »

BethA wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:06 pm I was imagining page 1. Also had pasta tonight - tortellini. What rhymes with that?

Port Hueneme.
It's closer than the puzzle examples. 8-)