31. Almost Famous

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
MikeyG

31. Almost Famous

Post by MikeyG »

PDF and PUZ

Crosshare

---

Lots to square away (there's that phrase again) before we get into this week's challenge!

1. Puzzle #30 recap

Puzzle #30 answer: TRADE RUMORS

Correct entries: 49 - I think this also might be a record! So close to the half-century mark!

You know I love my baseball - but it wouldn't be fair to use prior knowledge of Mikey G to solve this one. Given the title, as well as some bizarre entries such as LIGERS, MAILINS, and TRIOLES, we might think that baseball is in play (especially since those entries look suspiciously like TIGERS, MARLINS, and ORIOLES, three MLB teams). Other longer examples, such as PILATES and DANGERS, turn into PIRATES and RANGERS with a letter swap, and we should be off to the races.

There are 11 of these swaps, which also matches with the 11-letter prompt. When all the "trades" are made, the correct letters of the baseball teams (highlighted in yellow above) spell TRADE RUMORS, the answer to the meta. (And I have heard so many about the Cubs' beloved catcher Willson Contreras, it's not even funny.)

---

2. It's leaderboard time!

A couple of you have been asking me what was going on with the Summer of Solves. The answer? It's been going on just fine! I haven't been updating you all on the leaderboard, which I shall rectify now.

I've been putting your shiny points into an Excel spreadsheet, and - in line with the Top 25 poll of college football - you will see the Top 25 below, which will allow you to keep tabs on the competition. This will be updated live, so any time this leaderboard is seen in the forum, it will reflect the new standings.

I have 7 puzzles chronicled and still need to do TRADE RUMORS from last week. This week's puzzle is 9 of 15, and swag in the form of virtual pats on the back will be doled out accordingly once we finish. I like this format and might continue something akin to it once fall hits, once I'll have to scale back down basically to every other week like before.

Here's where we stand so far:

---

3. It's the fourth week in July, so that means it's time for a challenging Week 4 meta! Super shout-out to @KayW with amazing wisdom in the test-solving process! Seeing that epiphany was an extra bonus, so I hope you have an epiphany at some point as well! And if you like 21-by-21 puzzles, you're in luck! (If you're not, you'll be suffering for a puzzle that's 96% larger. I did the math, per usual.)

31. Almost Famous

The answer to the meta is how you might feel when you get it.

---

Good luck, and may all your solves be beautiful!

Mikey G
Last edited by MikeyG on Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 94. Garden of Wildflowers
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

No power outage for the Cubbies yesterday. 😉
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:12 am No power outage for the Cubbies yesterday. 😉
It was such a refreshing, much-needed start to our second half! I was also thinking of you, who I assume liked what the Blue Jays did to your archrival!

oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

LOL, I was hoping the Jays would get to 50.
boharr

Post by boharr »

This puzzle needs to come with strong reading glasses.

And as for the Top 25 poll above, I think it will be tough to even make a wild card spot.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solved! Great aha moment in this one. Thanks, Mikey!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it. A most excellent puzzle. Thanks, Mikey.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

boharr wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:42 pm This puzzle needs to come with strong reading glasses.

And as for the Top 25 poll above, I think it will be tough to even make a wild card spot.
+1 TLDS
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Finished the (marathon) grid and had fun with step 1 of the meta… step two ???
The other Wendy. :roll:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Yes! Solved just before the sandman cometh!
Capturepunsandman.PNG
Thanks, Mikey!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Wow... I can't believe I knew enough to get it. Not may bailiwick but ... something must have rubbed off.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

It's time for another Nudge Wednesday! We have 16 solvers so far, so let's see if this gets us closer to the quarter-century mark!

1. The ends of the asterisked entries are important here.

2. In line with the title, we have some "almost famous" people of a specific discipline at the end of each entry.

3. ...or at least we would with one more letter! While these added letters are not important, figuring out the six people are!

4. As you've likely gleaned, all six of these individuals are musicians.

5. The leap here was we had to look for something connected to each musician somewhere else in the puzzle.

6. The musicians and their outputs lean newer, the oldest being a classic (at least in my eyes!) from 1988.

7. Six musicians, six songs to find lurking somewhere - see if that helps! Good luck!

Mikey G

lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Needed spoiler number one. Baseball banter had kept me from even being in the ball park for awhile.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Solved this, but forgot to post. Thanks, Mikey!!
Cindy Heisler
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I had the steps up to Spoiler #5. I am illiterate when in comes to newer songs. I could not think of any title by Seal, Pink, or Enya. I patted myself on the back for spotting their names, and that was enough. I threw in the towel.
Jay
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Got to this one late (past due), and I didn’t see the spoilers. Hence, I only got to KEGLAR. ????? Though now reading your post-mortem, I can see it was do-able. Unfortunately I was only vaguely familiar with the songs. Still, this was a very cool puzzle, Mikey.