MGWCC #738 - “All Over the Map” by Brooke Husic

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

MikeM000 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:24 pm
TeamDoubleTow wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:32 pm Depending on timing I would love to Zoom... not that I have much more than the obvious to contribute
There's an obvious element in there? Uh-oh...
Okay maybe not obvious and definitely not tied to theme or anything that I can see.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

We are now 4 for 4 this month going from, "What in the world is going on?" to "Wow, that was clever, seamless, and an all-around great puzzle!"

I dreamed about this puzzle last night - at least I think it was - but it had a different mechanism? But I couldn't figure it out? But maybe I might make it into a future puzzle? But I really can't remember it? And lingering questions. I think all that does is reinforce how much I love puzzles and how beautiful they rest on the edges of my psyche.

Or something. If you've gotten this one, congrats! If not, best of luck in the pursuit!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Joe

Post by Joe »

Solo solved! I’ve been beamed aboard.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beamed aboard after a couple of required kindly nudges.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

En route to the beam up location, I took a turn down a side path that seemed quite promising…..except that the mechanism that worked so well with one item didn’t work with any others…. And on further reflection, it doesn’t quite work even with the one item. But it looked so good.

Anyway, I backed out of that and can feel the tingle of the transporter beam. Awaiting a leaderboard update.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudged to the tractor beam and now awaiting beam up. Tricky one!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Beamed up at 88! I must have gotten lucky since I rarely solo solve a Week 4.
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
Clpdlt22

Post by Clpdlt22 »

Fixating on a particular path that isn't yielding success, I want only to rule it in or out so I can move on with a fresh mind. Looking for a nudge of a thumbs up or down with my current path.

Thanks I received a nudge that allowed me to stop focusing on a dead end path. My Wife used the new clarity to find the correct path.
Last edited by Clpdlt22 on Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
three

Post by three »

I feel like I have some strange “tip of the tongue” phenomenon going on where I stare at an entry and can almost see something before it vanishes into thin air, is there a name for that? Tip of the grid phenomenon? Central vision meta loss? Either way, hoping any kind souls out there can send a gentle nudge to someone with nothing to show.

EDIT: @boharr to the rescue!
Last edited by three on Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Done and teleported. Thanks Brooke!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

As a solver who struggled terribly with this, I would just remind the sufferers that a guest creator might employ a familiar mechanism in a Week 3 that Matt Gaffney might not. I don't think that's giving anything away.

I was far too quick to skip the hunt for something I used to look for all the time.

And a big thank you to the helpful solvers who pushed me really hard to take a proper look.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Hmm... I just noticed something else in this one that makes it extra-clever. I think some of you had already seen it.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
balshetzer

Post by balshetzer »

I have made zero progress and would love a hint...
woozy

Post by woozy »

I'm suffering extreme burnout and find I'm not really trying very hard. I look at it, don't see anything, and .... stop looking. None of my usual masochistic obsessing.

Which makes me feel guilty as I might dismissing what might be a very clever puzzle.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Abide wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:06 pm Hmm... I just noticed something else in this one that makes it extra-clever. I think some of you had already seen it.
Oooh, bonus feature to look for retroactively!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally! Thank you to all who helped!
Heidi
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

A little course correction...and I should be beamed up. Was concerned about my answer, but I think I saw the "extra-clever" part which makes me think I"m 100% there.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Well, I know the answer, but I doubt that I'll submit. So far from a solo solve. It really is an incredible construction.

I Googled "Brooke Husic" and the only person who came up is a PhD in Chemistry from Stanford and is now at Princeton. Her picture does not look like the one in the first post on this forum. Incredible that in addition to her scientific career, she also creates all these puzzles? I took a look at the one she did for Lollapuzzoola and quickly concluded that it was way way out of my league.
Jay
haydendog

Post by haydendog »

Is there any way to get help on the grid? I am new to this forum and don’t know what I can do if I can’t get the grid filled in! Appreciate any advice on this!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

haydendog wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:36 pm Is there any way to get help on the grid? I am new to this forum and don’t know what I can do if I can’t get the grid filled in! Appreciate any advice on this!
Generally for this forum, you should find someone who's "beamed up" and just IM them.