"Christmas In July" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Christmas In July" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? It's mid-winter down under, and that means it's time for Christmas in July! You have no idea how strange it is to sing winter-related songs in December when it is 40 degrees in the shade (and that's 40 degrees Celsius, which is 104 degrees Fahrenheit!) So it has become a bit of a thing for Aussies to celebrate Christmas in July, when it's cold, so as to properly enjoy all of the yummy Christmassy food and drink (like hot buttered rum, or mulled wine). So dig in, in order to find the answer to the meta which is a seasonal song.

PM me with your submissions or submit on Crosshare. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Christmas In July - Online Form
Christmas In July - PUZ
Christmas In July - PDF
Christmas In July - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Moat's crossed.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Crossed the moat! Thanks, Ben.
Cindy Heisler
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I think there's something weird going on at Crosshare; I filled in the grid fully but it didn't go.to the next screen. I had to "reveal" before it let me past.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Crossed the merry moat and decorated the castle.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’ve strolled across the drawbridge. Bringing some rabbits and a pheasant for dinner.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed. Stormed. And refusing to even think about Christmas on this nearly perfect summer day in Michigan. I’m sad to hear of the sweltering heat in many areas; we’re having a beautiful summer here — though it is, it seems, drier than usual.

UPDATE: I take it back. It’s now pushing 90 here, and it’s supposed to stay around that temp for days.
Last edited by ChrisKochmanski on Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Crossed after a brief period of staring. :) Nice work.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Crossed the moat.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Good job, Ben! It's nice to think of Christmas during the current heat wave here in the states.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
woozy

Post by woozy »

It wasn't "Chardonnay in the Sun"? Oh, well. This one's equally as nice.
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :tornado: :european_castle: :christmas_tree: :santa: :notes:

Thanks for a fun puzzle!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Stormed the festive castle; feeling much cooler now!
Capturecastleice.PNG
Thanks, Ben!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Meg wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:05 am I’ve strolled across the drawbridge. Bringing some rabbits and a pheasant for dinner.
Rabbits!!?? I almost felt compelled to click the exclamation point rather than the quotes! :lol:
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

Dplass wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:05 am I think there's something weird going on at Crosshare; I filled in the grid fully but it didn't go.to the next screen. I had to "reveal" before it let me past.
That happened to me, as well.

I am solved, castled, and nestled all snug in the heat & humidity.
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Moat crossed. Thanks for the Christmas in July diversion.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

It is as I feared....I have NOT learned to think like Ben. But I will keep studying the grid.......
Cynthia
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Confirmed on Crosshare. Really enjoyed this one! Thanks, Ben! (Only 158 shopping days until Christmas)!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Crossed the MOAT and ready for the mulled cider.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I stared at the grid, and I’ve crossed the moat! Confirmed on Crosshare. Thanks, Ben!
Cynthia