WSJ Past Cryptic links

Enter if you dare!
TMart

WSJ Past Cryptic links

Post by TMart »

I've recently become obsessed with cryptics (doing like one a day for the last two weeks!). My family and friends have wondered where I disappeared to.

I just found this page that links to the past 12 years of WSJ cryptics from Emily Cox and Henry Rathvon (in case it hasn't been posted here before):

https://chall.us/hex/hex_all_wsj.html

That's the last you'll hear from me for a while - I've got cryptics to do! :lol:
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

TMart wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:06 pm I've recently become obsessed with cryptics (doing like one a day for the last two weeks!). My family and friends have wondered where I disappeared to.

I just found this page that links to the past 12 years of WSJ cryptics from Emily Cox and Henry Rathvon (in case it hasn't been posted here before):

https://chall.us/hex/hex_all_wsj.html

That's the last you'll hear from me for a while - I've got cryptics to do! :lol:
C&R puzzles originally appearing in the WSJ from 2010 - 2014 have been republished in a spiral bound book format under the title "Blue-Chip Cryptics." It is available for $10 via Amazon. Much harder to find -- and now out of print -- is an earlier C&R book "The Random House Guide to Cryptic Crosswords", published in 1995. It has the definitive guide to deciphering clues as well as 65 cryptics reprinted from the NYT, Games magazine and elsewhere. I treasure my copy.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I started on this several months ago beginning with December 2020. I finished all the puzzles back to the start of 2010 and am now filling in a few in 2021 I missed. I wish there were more; I have really enjoyed the project.
Abide

Post by Abide »

This is the definitive list with links of Hex WSJ/Atlantic Monthly Puzzlers compiled by my friend Dan Chall
(Including some of their variety cryptics from 1983 :shock: )

http://www.chall.us/hex/hex_puzzles.htm ... HK1ASeGcZo
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I just did the January, 1983 Cox and Rathvon puzzle from Peter’s list. That was challenging but a lot of fun. Personally, I think C&R older puzzles are harder than the recent ones.
Abide

Post by Abide »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:04 pm Personally, I think C&R older puzzles are harder than the recent ones.
They certainly were for me in the mid '80s! I remember ripping pages from the doctor's office before breaking down and subscribing to the Atlantic (just for the Puzzler).
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Naptown Kid

Post by Naptown Kid »

Thanks to TMart and Abide for providing these links. Variety cryptics have a way of working their way into your head and heart to the point of obsession. It’s good to see I’m in good company.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I hope no one minds a running commentary on some of these old C&R cryptics but the March, 1983 (Noah’s Ark) is a gem. Highly recommended! Peter, thanks again for posting these.
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Does anybody remember this book, published in 1980? The New York Magazine reprinted a collection of Sondheim cryptics. Regretfully, my old copy has disappeared, but I still have this one: Maltby was Sondheim's friend, fellow theater director/producer -- and cryptic puzzle constructor -- who gave us the musical Ain't Misbehavin'.
Attachments
IMG_4479 (1).jpeg
Last edited by Guffman on Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abide

Post by Abide »

I've scanned the 1983 list and printed Noah's Ark. No 39-year spoilers just yet, please :lol:
—Brian MacDonald
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

Guffman wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:26 pm Does anybody remember this book, published in 1980? The New York Magazine reprinted a collection of Sondheim cryptics. Regretfully, my old copy has disappeared, but I still have this one: Maltby was Sondheim's friend, fellow theater director/producer -- and cryptic puzzle constructor -- who gave us the musical Ain't Misbehavin'.
I HAVE the "Stephen Sondheim's Crossword Puzzles" book! :D
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I just finished all the 1983 puzzles—really a lot of fun!