MGWCC #737 - “Center Yourself” by Yossi Fendel

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
burak

Post by burak »

There are three types of metas that I dislike from the get-go:

1. Pronunciation
2. Open-ended metas (the ones that don't have a strong click)
3. One with convoluted prompts.

This, at a first glance, satisfied two of those conditions (and possibly three: NE as in any? Annie?) I felt very strongly about this one and couldn't get over my frustration to solve it. It turns out I was wrong.

In retrospect, this is a very nice meta. However, if the prompt was way simpler, it would've been much more fun since in the end, the North East clue doesn't tie a super neat bow (Center Yourself -> Inner Peace -> Center letter of the words in question is hypothetically great but involves too many steps to get there). The idea of "oh you're just gonna apply a random two-word piece to these starred answers no biggie" felt overwhelming. I'd liked something to the tune of "Missing Something/Something's Missing" (also works with the inner piece/peace pun) which directs the solver to the mechanism more strongly.

Also yes, I guess you're applying an "inner piece" but the prompt is still too far-fetched for my taste.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I solved this one just with the inner letters. Now, seeing the word squares, it’s much more elegant than I’d realized
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MMe

Post by MMe »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:31 pm I solved this one just with the inner letters. Now, seeing the word squares, it’s much more elegant than I’d realized
Right, I bet this one varied with your meta solving habits. I always transcribe the themers (or the starred entries or whatever) in a text editor window on my computer. It jumped right out that one of them was almost a symmetric grid with a row missing. The other one had to be reordered...

If you're just looking at the actual grid, though, I'm sure that would be very hard to see.