MGWCC #737 - “Center Yourself” by Yossi Fendel

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beam-up requested, fingers crossed! I'm unsure on one point but I'm not likely to get any more sure by waiting, so we'll see.

This one seems to be playing easier than I'd expect based on my own experience :-) I was really mystified there for a while.

Edit: #79!
TMart

Post by TMart »

Beamed up amid some uncertainty of what exactly to submit. But a good aha! nonetheless.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I’m still deliberating and a bit nervous. Could justify two things.

UPDATE: submitted and waiting.

UPDATE UPDATE: in at #97
Last edited by HeadinHome on Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

I believe I have the answer, though I'm mulling it over. I like it! Funny too.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the tractor beam, but quietly confident.

Edit: Yay! #99.
Last edited by benchen71 on Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

OK, I think I got it - if I am right, it will be my first ever week 3 solo solve. Either way, I really enjoyed the clueing on this puzzle - thanks, Yossi!

Edit: got it! #110
Last edited by MarkWoychick on Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I allowed frustration to annoy me to the point of taking a deep breath & submitting without being 100‰ satisfied. Immediate post(submission) enlightenment.

No update, but I'm going to sleep relieved & happy.

Count me beamin'n'dreamin'.

114. Joe Ross 07/15 - 22:20
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Normally with a meta with certain types of clues it falls pretty quick for me but on this one I don’t even know where to start. I’ll probably pick it up again Monday night just to see if something fires, but pretty much declaring bankruptcy on this one. At least I got the WSJ this week.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:02 pm I allowed frustration to annoy me to the point of taking a deep breath & submitting without being 100‰ satisfied. Immediate post(submission) enlightenment.

I "ditto" that. One part you refer to was clear to me. It was another element that bothered me. But I was right behind you on the board this morning:

115. HunterX 07/15 - 22:40
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

#108, don't overthink it

20:44 pm
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
woozy

Post by woozy »

HunterX wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:09 am
I "ditto" that. Though one part you refer to was clear to me. It was another element that bothered me.
Yes, but why assume you need to play a that game?

WITH APOLOGIES:

This is Joe Ross butting in. The basis of the quoted comment & this reply was a throw away thought I had, but this was reported to me as being a spoiler. I don't see it as a spoiler, but that's due to my ignorance, not that it shouldn't be redacted. To be fair & careful, I am removing references to this part of my original quote. Again, I apologize for the trouble I caused.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

HunterX wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:09 am
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:02 pm I allowed frustration to annoy me to the point of taking a deep breath & submitting without being 100‰ satisfied. Immediate post(submission) enlightenment.

I "ditto" that. One part you refer to was clear to me. It was another element that bothered me. But I was right behind you on the board this morning:

115. HunterX 07/15 - 22:40
I think this was a week3.5-4. Multiple layers of confusioning (TM). But beamed.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Have made no progress on this one at all! There are certain types of metas that just mystify me. This one is in that group.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
ricky

Post by ricky »

I was coming here to ask for a nudge but after seeing so many comments saying it was easy / just required an "aha" moment I'm going to hold off until at least tomorrow. For the record, though, I have spent a couple of hours mulling this one over and as of tonight I have absolutely nothing. Not a thing. Zippo.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

IMHO, it's a week 2.5, not a 3.5
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!

Correctly, I hope. The next leaderboard update will tell.

UPDATE: On the board! (Fun puzzle! Thanks, Yossi!)
Last edited by ChrisKochmanski on Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
woozy

Post by woozy »

You know how everyone always says don't overthink it?

I think the only way to get this one is to overthink it. And when you overthink it you ... get something.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

I have submitted my solo solve answer. I am fairly certain is it the right one. I made this impossible because I unwittingly overlooked a thing or 2. Thank goodness for fresh eyes in the morning. Great puzzle Yossi!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Submitted.....fingers crossed. Fun Meta, typical me, rabbit hole, rabbit hole....looking at close to the answer....staring at the answer and not seeing it. Typing up a request for a nudge hit send....and then poof... facepalm, delete message, submit.....

Update: Beamed UP...
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Just looked at it again and I think I'm there. Will await confirmation after I submit. Great puzzle.

Edit: Confirmed. So excited to get my first week three without any nudge. Love the thought process on this one.
Last edited by minimuggle on Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.