MEOW #86: Expensive Taste

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Cat's out and dining happily!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Toonces is off the couch and driving me to the restaurant.
Attachments
R.jpg
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Cat's gone.
Thanks for the puzzle!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

CPJohnson wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:41 pm Pretty sure I got it; what else could it be?

Confirmed. Thanks, Josh!
Funny that you should ask, Cynthia. Leave it to me to come up with something else!
I'm blaming an encounter with a puzzle from over 6 months ago for being a bad influence in this case -- no details now as it could serve as an "anti" spoiler.
Apologies to anyone I led astray with what I was certain was the correct answer! As you say -- What else could it be?! :lol:

Time for my punishment! :D
Capturezzflog.PNG
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

madhatter5 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:50 pm Well, as I had been informed I screwed up and had the wrong title on the URL of the puzzle which may have given away the answer :) It is fixed now. So sorry about that.
I printed off the puzzle early in the morning yesterday so I could take it to work. The previous title was showing at that time. So, that obviously wasn't the answer. I spent a long time trying to figure out what the meta answer could possibly be. When I came back here to look at comments, I couldn't find the title I was looking for. Thought, "Well, it's happened. The cheese has fully slipped off the cracker!" :lol:
Konnie
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

The Cat is OUT!
:ugeek:
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

The cat is out of the lunch sack. Delicious meta, Josh. Thanks.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Dplass wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:04 pm Nag to please provide puz file. :-D
So sorry I meant to do this but things got in the way and now I won't have my computer available for a while :(

EDIT: Done
Last edited by madhatter5 on Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
KayW

Post by KayW »

Submitted... :fingers_crossed: :cat:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
LindaPRmaven

Post by LindaPRmaven »

Any nudges coming soon?
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Yep!

Notice any bigrams that occur relatively often?

Does that bigram mean anything to you? What if I told you it is a very expensive bigram?

You may want to grab your colored pencils!

P.S. I've bitten the bullet and am starting to post my old puzzles on Crosshare. Should have done it a while ago. It was funny to see some Muggles on the Github issues page :)
ReB

Post by ReB »

With the nudges, the cat has been released.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Solution (courtesy of Bird Lives): McDonalds

(AU = gold, as in the Golden Arches)
mcd.PNG
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

whimsy wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:52 am
CPJohnson wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:41 pm Pretty sure I got it; what else could it be?

Confirmed. Thanks, Josh!
Funny that you should ask, Cynthia. Leave it to me to come up with something else!
I'm blaming an encounter with a puzzle from over 6 months ago for being a bad influence in this case -- no details now as it could serve as an "anti" spoiler.
I actually solved the rather "tricky" puzzle The 5 W's last November. Obviously, I was so taken with my moment of glory that I really took the mechanism of that one to heart.

So this time when I saw an A between two U's in several instances -- because all the additional A's and U's were only there for distraction, of course! :roll: --
I knew the answer had to be --
CaptureA&W.PNG
At least my solution also involved an equally elegant and refined dining establishment, and my classy kitty still applies! :lol:
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

madhatter5 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:07 pm Solution (courtesy of Bird Lives): McDonalds

(AU = gold, as in the Golden Arches)

mcd.PNG
Would you have also accepted "McDowells, home of the Golden Arcs"? :-D
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

whimsy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:34 pm
whimsy wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:52 am

Confirmed. Thanks, Josh!
I actually solved the rather "tricky" puzzle The 5 W's last November. Obviously, I was so taken with my moment of glory that I really took the mechanism of that one to heart.

So this time when I saw an A between two U's in several instances -- because all the additional A's and U's were only there for distraction, of course! :roll: --
I knew the answer had to be --

CaptureA&W.PNG

At least my solution also involved an equally elegant and refined dining establishment, and my classy kitty still applies! :lol:
Was The 5 W’S a madhatter puzzle?
Cynthia
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

@CPJohnson No -- it was a WSJ --

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-five-w ... 1636465772

I've forgotten how to reference something within the forum, but our conversation is around November 12, 2021.

whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Thanks, Joe! :D