MGWCC #736 - “Back to the Start”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I loved this puzzle, and not just because it's the first meta I've solved solo since Monday. I spotted the mechanism pretty quickly, then absolutely savored the process of working it out. Thanks so much, W&M!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
stmv

Post by stmv »

I struggled big time with this meta, going down a deep rabbit hole that I just could not believe wasn't correct. Very frustrating, but finally the clouds parted and I could see the light.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Waiting for the tractor beam, but hopeful it will pick me up...

Edit: #141
Last edited by benchen71 on Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Awaiting beam up, but feeling good about it. Very fun and clever puzzle, even with (because of?) a few rabbit holes explored.
Confirmed, #143
Last edited by MarkWoychick on Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
bodhipepper

Post by bodhipepper »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:47 pm Sheesh -- Malaika and all her sports clues.
Perfect post, no notes
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

Solved! Very cute & clever.
docison

Post by docison »

Took me a while to see it but then I did. Sounds like a lot of metas...
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Was quite slow on the uptake this week, but I eventually got to the solution. Very nice puzzle!

On another note, is there an acronym for the metapuzzle version of FOMO? That is, that exasperated feeling one gets when so many people have solved a puzzle rather easily, while you are still scratching away and seeing nothing? Perhaps someone here can come up with a suitable neologism and/or acronym. Because what ever it is called, I find myself in that place more and more these days.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Andrew Bradburn wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:26 pm Was quite slow on the uptake this week, but I eventually got to the solution. Very nice puzzle!

On another note, is there an acronym for the metapuzzle version of FOMO? That is, that exasperated feeling one gets when so many people have solved a puzzle rather easily, while you are still scratching away and seeing nothing? Perhaps someone here can come up with a suitable neologism and/or acronym. Because what ever it is called, I find myself in that place more and more these days.
UTMO
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Mike—Sorry to see you miss. Good luck next week.
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Took a while to see it, but I got there.

Steven McKinney
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Got beamed up last night... very fun to figure out the mechanism and put it all together. Also...

"PHOEBE!" - my daughter when I showed her the clue for 10 across...
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Waiting for Scottie (Warf? Red Shirt?) to beam me up.

Got stuck in a rabbit hole yesterday. But saw the correct path this morning with fresh eyes. And then I really enjoyed working through the metanism. Nice construction!

Have to say, I had to use the almighty internet to fill in some of the grid spots I got stuck on. What can I say... I'm not up on a lot of current popular culture. And I have some minor issues with some of the cluing, which is also probably just due to my age and/or persnicketiness. But great offering by Will and Malaika!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Solved. Thank you, Will and Malaika!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Was led sans printout through the forests of NH and beamed up.
Thanks Will and Malaika.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I thought that I was going to have to hang up my pencil! Once again everyone was solving and I was staring. Knowing the constructor (well one of them) I felt it had to be well done and logical but though I kept seeing glimpses of a path I got nowhere. However I read over the comments and how people just kept looking and they saw it and that made me go back to something I had noticed but could not bring home...this time I did. Nice job Will and Malaika!

So, submitted and waiting to see, but I feel pretty confident.

(Just an aside - had this been a Benchen guest contribution I KNOW what the answer would have been before even starting the grid :D )
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:26 pm I loved this puzzle, and not just because it's the first meta I've solved solo since Monday. I spotted the mechanism pretty quickly, then absolutely savored the process of working it out. Thanks so much, W&M!
Agree with the savoring. I had caught a glimpse earlier of something 62D, and when finally I decided to follow up, everything fell into place. I also extend my thanks to the constructors.
Last edited by ReB on Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

This was a good Team DoubleTow effort. I was stuck in a rabbit hole when husband pointed out something important and then it all fell into place. Enjoyed this puzzle and great to see a team collaboration!
Last edited by TeamDoubleTow on Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
rjy

Post by rjy »

Wow, one of those random solves where I saw it instantly - blind squirrel’s getting fed today! Now back to Pete’s, WSJ and the MEOW
Ray