"Countdown" - July 8, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

This one sure didn't come easy to me this week.

Submitted a hail Mary while still flailing in the water. Oh well, can't win them all...

On a more positive note, My hubby & I are celebrating 51 years today. We were just babes back in 1971 but clearly it has worked out, with 3 wonderful kids and 6 soon to be 7 grandkids. Life is good.

I think we'll have champagne tonightI

Congrats to all who solved the meta... hope a muggle wins the mug.
🌴🍹
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Bit o' disagreement aboard. Applied corrective measures to Navigator's noggin' and he now sees correct path to the beach. We'll have our grog on the sand, sir.
Brawl Topside.jpg
Toast

Post by Toast »

And there, crawling out of the surf amidst the wreckage of what may or may not have once been a stand-up paddle board, is one very wet piece of toast, who guessed the mechanisms with attempt #16.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Ashore. But only with the help of my solving buddy,Bob. I knew I could count on him to save the day. And sure enough, he appeared in Isaac’s bar to make sure I wasn’t down for the count after being there all weekend. He had to lift me off that comfy barstool and deposit me on shore. Thanks Bob! And thanks Mike.
Good one!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

SusieG wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:22 am Checking in to say I’m with Isaac. Actually on a train from Glasgow to Inverness. I brought graph paper with me, but it seems such a shame to look at a grid instead of enjoying the scenery.

Yesterday’s visit to Stirling Castle.
Beautiful! Have a great trip!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Well, it’s Sunday evening and I’m with the Isaac crew. Still a few hours to go.
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Ashore after finally making time for the meta, time for a Spaghett!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Home from the family reunion a few minutes ago. Still on the ship. Going to submit a Hail Mary and then head to the Muggle Last Call in 15 minutes--to hopefully discover what the REAL answer is.
KFB

Post by KFB »

The only countdown I understand this evening is the decreasing hours available before crashing Skylab style into the Sea of Lost Mugs. Houston I have a problem...any help from someone with the Right Stuff would be welcome. Thanks in advance - I'll share my supply of Tang with you on the beach!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MaineMarge wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:48 pm Ashore. But only with the help of my solving buddy,Bob. I knew I could count on him to save the day. And sure enough, he appeared in Isaac’s bar to make sure I wasn’t down for the count after being there all weekend. He had to lift me off that comfy barstool and deposit me on shore. Thanks Bob! And thanks Mike.
Good one!
The truth is that @MaineMarge was too busy tending the garden in the stern so we could all enjoy her beautiful flowers.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I got to the beach with help from the Isaac's Last Call Zoom. There were so many directions to go in, I don't know that I would have got there on my own, but still had the satisfaction of putting the pieces together once I had my focus narrowed.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

ZooAnimalsOnWheels wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:26 pm I got to the beach with help from the Isaac's Last Call Zoom. There were so many directions to go in, I don't know that I would have got there on my own, but still had the satisfaction of putting the pieces together once I had my focus narrowed.
Ditto! Thank you to the Zoom helpers!

And my Hail Mary was nowhere close.
kawaja

Post by kawaja »

Uh, newbie asks: "how do we get the solution", Monday WSJ?
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

kawaja wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:24 pm Uh, newbie asks: "how do we get the solution", Monday WSJ?
Or stay awake until midnight ET (once the contest ends) and it will be posted here.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

kawaja wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:24 pm Uh, newbie asks: "how do we get the solution", Monday WSJ?
Yes. It posts at midnight Eastern time.
Heidi
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 24 on the ship and 138 on the shore.

Good luck to all winning the mug. Much better odds than last week
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

SusieG wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:46 pm
The hostel is just down the hill a block or two from the castle! We passed it and remarked that it looked very stately for a hostel. Stirling must have been a workout on bikes.

We haven’t seen the kelpies yet, but have some open days in our itinerary. The weather is so perfect we are trying to do as much outside as possible, so will put it on our list.
The mountains in Scotland were quite a workout. But as a 14 year old, no problem.

The Kelpies are impressive. But they are in the middle of nowhere, so to speak. Not sure I'd make a trip just to see them. A distillery would be a better use of time. But they are striking if you're zooming down the highway and come upon them!
jmorgie7

Post by jmorgie7 »

what is the metaphor for wandering in the bilges and cant even get to Isaac's bar ...
KaiS

Post by KaiS »

KaiS wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:48 pm Stuck on the ship once again. I think I'm getting lost in the potentials and nothing is standing out to me. If anyone could offer just a hint of a nudge, maybe I can grab a raft ashore?
And I'm on shore after a helpful nudge. So easy to overthink and overcomplicate it.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Not seeing this one or the MMMM (didn’t ask for the hint).

I don’t know if I’m going to bother with these anymore; unless they come easily, I stew over them and I have better things to do. I don’t expect them all to be like last week’s, and maybe this week’s is just as easy for some, but not for me.