Six Characters in Search of a Pop Song - July 2022

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

I got the hint and am on the leaderboard.

I'm not sure I would have gotten it without the hint, but only because of the title, which I interpreted incorrectly and ended up going down many rabbit holes.
Cindy Heisler
ajk

Post by ajk »

HunterX wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:04 pm "To take the hint, or not to take the hint? That is the question.
FWIW when I saw the hint I was flabbergasted that we hadn't thought to try it. That said, we thought of a lot of stuff and this wasn't one of them, so maybe it's just harder to see than it seems in retrospect. Apologies if this is not helpful in evaluating the desirability of the bare bodkin.

ETA: on the board at #20
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
CalRhody

Post by CalRhody »

HunterX wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:04 pm
CalRhody wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:33 pm I definitely needed the hint to eliminate several wrong paths. But in retrospect, I have faith that some more of you can get this without the hint. Not sure if others agree?
You're making it tempting for me to continue to try without the hint. On the Zoom we discussed how it must be relatively easy if PM thought it would be much easier to solve. @Joe Ross said it might turn out to be the SADdest puzzle ever. However...
ky-mike wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:37 pm I'm glad I got the hint. I looked way too long at this on my own and with some pretty smart solvers. I wonder how many will still try and solve without the hint.
...I was on the Zoom with @ky-mike and those smart solvers, and we tried many avenues that lead nowhere.

"To take the hint, or not to take the hint? That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the dead-end rabbit holes of Muller's meta, or take hints against a sea of confusion, and by doing so, lose the mug?"
I personally have no regrets in taking the hint. I would just be surprised if one or two more solvers besides JanglerNPL and LL don't get there without the hint. (Sorry, I know this probably doesn't help with your decision at all ;) )
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Got it with the hint. Whew!
Kevin
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

The Hint is written poorly. I expect it to be corrected & sent out to all who've requested it.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I have not utilized the hint yet but reading it...man were my rabbit holes wrong!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I requested the hint and then solved the meta.
On the board!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Got it!

With the hint.

Very cool!
woozy

Post by woozy »

The hint.... can't possibly be right.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I’m pretty sure I got it without a hint. I want to think it through for a few minutes before I submit but I am pretty confident. Submitted and confirmed—-YAHOO!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

On the board, with the hint! Partial credit is better than none.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

It looks like everyone has gotten the same number of points for solving it whether they have gotten a clue or not.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

oldjudge wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:22 pm It looks like everyone has gotten the same number of points for solving it whether they have gotten a clue or not.
So far. I could see them coming back and discounting those email addresses that requested a hint a point after the puzzle closes. Who knows.
Kevin
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Doesn’t matter to me one way or the other—just happy to have finally seen the light.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Solved after the hint, which needed to be "solved" first.

Jay! You have a 1 in 3 chance of winning this month's mug! 🥳🏆
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

LOL, I only win mugs when the constructor gives them to everyone, like what Will has done.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:34 pm Solved after the hint, which needed to be "solved" first.

But we all got the same hint, didn't we?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

woozy wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:01 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:34 pm Solved after the hint, which needed to be "solved" first.

Yes. It was written poorly, but its intent was not too difficult to discern.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:03 pm

I felt quite differently. I thought it was perfectly clearly written, its intent unambiguous, but its application not humanly possible.

What did you think was poorly written about it?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

woozy wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:12 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:03 pm

I felt quite differently. I thought it was perfectly clearly written, its intent unambiguous, but its application not humanly possible.

What did you think was poorly written about it?
At this point, all I can say is "the words used." More post-deadline. 🙂