"Don't Let Them Keep You Down!" - July 3, 2022

Available by emailing a request to PandorasBlocksWMC[at]gmail[dot]com, these meta puzzles are distributed by email every Sunday. Pandora's Blocks crosswords are intended to spread the popularity of meta crosswords, however, they are not just for beginners and run the gamut it terms of difficulty.
hashbrown

"Don't Let Them Keep You Down!" - July 3, 2022

Post by hashbrown »

Will's back after last week's hiatus!

This week's puzzle: Don't Let Them Keep You Down!
Difficulty: Easy

The answer to this week's meta is a hit song from the 1990s.
(You might need Google, depending on what '90s music you listen to.)

Crosshare link: https://crosshare.org/crosswords/N3EdIZ ... p-you-down
-HB
boharr

Post by boharr »

Out of the box. Fun.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Right in my musical wheelhouse. Out of the box!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Out of the box!

Thanks, Will!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Got it. Never quite understood that song though.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Out of the box, but not familiar with the song. Went down a few rabbit holes before I came up with the right Google search terms.

Definitely agree with Will, this was a super clean grid, very much enjoyed the solve.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Dino me!
Good grid, but I needed google to help with the meta. I think I submitted the artist name, then some of the lyrics, then some more of the lyrics until I figured it out.
Not my cuppa tea. Or cuppa whatever. But I got there in the end!
Thanks for the puzzle!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I’m out of the box with a case of deja vu and no idea why.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:00 pm I’m out of the box with a case of deja vu and no idea why.
Because another recent meta was the name of a song...and another recent meta was the name of a singer.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: Interwebbing required - but very surprised to discover I'd actually heard this song. Just didn't remember enough of it to get it without interwebs.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Hit song from the 90s... uh-oh. I'll give it a go. It could be worse. It could be a hit song since the 90s. Although I didn't even know.... that other puzzle... I have a steep road ahead.

Oh well, let's get started.

EDIT: Got it.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Out of the box - thanks, Will - smooth grid and fun puzzle
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
dot

Post by dot »

Got it but needed Google. We've never heard of this song... now I want a raspberry lime rickey!
H & J
Anita

Post by Anita »

Got this one about halfway through filling the grid. Fun!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Finally got it. Not a song I have heard before. You have to go much farther back than the 90's for me to know the lyrics of a song.
Cindy Heisler
ReB

Post by ReB »

Out of the box. I had to google for the song, but had a good idea early on what to use as search terms.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Out of the box. Nice one!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
hashbrown

Post by hashbrown »

I must be missing something really obvious, having tried quite a few different Google searches and resulting wrong guesses. Definitely feels like abusing the multiple guess feature on Crosshare after the 3rd or 4th attempt...

E: Dino me - I do know the song and was just guessing without a solid click in place. Nice one Will!
Last edited by hashbrown on Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-HB
woozy

Post by woozy »

hashbrown wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:09 pm I must be missing something really obvious, having tried quite a few different Google searches and resulting wrong guesses. Definitely feels like abusing the multiple guess feature on Crosshare after the 3rd or 4th attempt...
I think in this case you have to be somewhat familiar with the song. To be honest I don't see how the people who never heard of this song managed to google. But I looked at a list of several songs and looked and looked and then.... thought oh, yeah, it's got to be that song because of ... something.

EDIT: Oh! There *is* something very simple that you and I overlooked..... there's a google to get it down to the exact song. *Dope-slap*.
Last edited by woozy on Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I knew the song but only found it by Googling. This would have been easy for me if only I ever listened to the lyrics of songs. I am a “There’s a bathroom on the right” and “Reverend Blue Jeans” kind of guy.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!