"Oh, Hi Paul!”

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Abide

Post by Abide »

More than a few have overthought this one. Here’s a final holiday weekend nudge:

Just write down the two letter words. The song in question follows that pattern.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
KayW

Post by KayW »

...or underthought it ;)

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: with remedial nudge.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Doh !! Nudged off the couch. More difficult than I expected. Good job, Peter.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Solved without nudges. My first entry was a typo on Crosshare. Thanks Peter!
Kevin
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Abide wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:01 am Thursday Night Update
55. HeadinHome-ward bound
☺️
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Seems Peter's Puzzle Pleases Plenty! Fun unless you find yourself in the particular eddy that was my rabbit hole. Of course I'll wait until Sunday and until then I'll remain a poor boy with a story often told...nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah nah nah nah (oh and in case anyone is wondering that is not the song).
Beggar.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Saturday afternoon update:

56. minimuggle
57. ajk
58. jbird
59. KayW
60. Naptown Kid
61. Dow Jones
62. auee89
63. Gutman

Crosshare Stats for Oh, Hi Paul! (Meta)

Total completions: 231
Completions without helpers: 116
Average time without helpers: 0:10:07
Correct contest submissions: 53
Total contest submissions:58

It's intriguing that 3/4 of solvers on Crosshare don't submit an answer. That seems to be the case on most of my others as well.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Abide wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:32 pm It's intriguing that 3/4 of solvers on Crosshare don't submit an answer. That seems to be the case on most of my others as well.
I think there is a large population out there that loves crosswords but has no interest in metas. Glad they find and enjoy your puzzles
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Abide wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:32 pm Saturday afternoon update:

56. minimuggle
57. ajk
58. jbird
59. KayW
60. Naptown Kid
61. Dow Jones
62. auee89
63. Gutman

Crosshare Stats for Oh, Hi Paul! (Meta)

Total completions: 231
Completions without helpers: 116
Average time without helpers: 0:10:07
Correct contest submissions: 53
Total contest submissions:58

It's intriguing that 3/4 of solvers on Crosshare don't submit an answer. That seems to be the case on most of my others as well.
Maybe they can't figure out the meta?
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Off the couch under the wire.
Thanks Peter (and Paul)!
vandono

Post by vandono »

Well it took me a while and absolutely all of the nudges but I am off the couch and heading for the pantry while humming a Simon tune. Thanks, Peter!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:19 pm Seems Peter's Puzzle Pleases Plenty! Fun unless you find yourself in the particular eddy that was my rabbit hole. Of course I'll wait until Sunday and until then I'll remain a poor boy with a story often told...nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah nah nah nah (oh and in case anyone is wondering that is not the song).

Beggar.jpg
Oh great..(sound of knee being slapped). Now what do I do for an answer!😩
Kidding, just kidding!!😉
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
ReB

Post by ReB »

Put me in the overthinking category, but with the final nudge (prompted by my PM yesterday I suspect), I made it across the finish line after one last stumble. Didn't see that song yesterday - funny the blind spots our minds have.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Final Tally:

64. michaelm
65. Vandono
66. ReB

Reveal will be up in an hour or so.
—Brian MacDonald
Abide

Post by Abide »

MMM Reveal
OhHiPaul4.png
Credit:KayW

Simple and Difficult, especially if you didn’t write out the themers with spacing. Each theme entry had two two-letter words. Those words are also state postal abbreviations. The Paul Simon song that fits this pattern is “You Can Call Me Al”.

Relive the magic here:

Random winner is our beloved @Dplass! Happy Fourth to all the Meta Muggles 🇺🇸🦅!
—Brian MacDonald
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Abide wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:52 pm MMM Reveal

OhHiPaul4.png

Credit:KayW

Simple and Difficult, especially if you didn’t write out the themers with spacing. Each theme entry had two two-letter words. Those words are also state postal abbreviations. The Paul Simon song that fits this pattern is “You Can Call Me Al”.

Random winner is our beloved @Dplass!
Aw, thanks and thanks!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

Abide wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:32 pm Saturday afternoon update:
For me personally I don't have an account and never sign in to Crosshare so I cannot submit an answer there. I do like puzzles that have a Crosshare version because I can click Reveal All and get the crossword done in 3 seconds. For me the puzzle is not the fun part, but the Meta is! I don't have time to do so many crosswords so having the crossword part done for me is a bonus.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I promised a tale of a wandering trail and so you shall have it:

Paul Simon songs – OK

OSCAR DE LA HOYA – can be nothing but the BOXER
ARE YOU IN OR OUT – Sounds of Silence album, ROVING GAMBLER
MA AND PA KETTLE (probably one of the few who knew this answer immediately) – more difficult “association” ah OK – STILL CRAZY AFTER ALL THESE YEARS

I rattled around looking at all the lyrics of various Simon and/or Simon and Garfunkel songs to see if there were any that included all these “people” or references but found nothing, then when I wrote these all down the prediction came through – everything DID look worse in black and white. It also was WAY too complex for an Abide puzzle which are usually cleverly disguised but crystal clear – especially since he had emphasized the SAD nature.

I needed the nudges – thankfully only up to the WRITE THEM OUT one – before I did the head slap. Interestingly enough the EXACT picture of Al shown in the reveal popped into my mind.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!