27. Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

PDF and PUZ

Crosshare

1. Puzzle #26 recap

Puzzle #26 answer: DAD BOD

Correct entries: 33

You did need some outside knowledge for this one! Only six of the entries in the grid were clued as people, be they real or fictional. Those are highlighted above in yellow. If we take their fathers' first names in order, as seen in the blue, we get DAD BOD, definitely a father figure! (I've got the dad bod with the dad jokes, so this meta answer was fair, haha.)

2. This finishes the month and is most certainly at least a Level 4, if not a 4.5. I'm not sure what categorizes a Level 5 over a Level 4, but this one will require some thought. A special shout-out to @Abide for test-solving and for some very solid editing suggestions.

The answer to the meta is a 7-letter word.

Good luck, and may all your solves be beautiful!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

After a lot of effort I finally got it—nice job Mikey!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I enjoyed this one a lot! I'd say week 4 is a fair classification, but maybe a slightly easier week 4. (Unlike the current MGWCC...)
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Step one done. Still working.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Wow... Step one... just sits there self-contained with it's arms cut off connected to nothing.
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

woozy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:21 pm Wow...just sits there self-contained with it's arms cut off connected to nothing.
I think I got that same critique on a paper I once wrote.

boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it. Thanks Mikey
woozy

Post by woozy »

MikeyG wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:45 pm
woozy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:21 pm Wow...just sits there self-contained with it's arms cut off connected to nothing.
I think I got that same critique on a paper I once wrote.
Yeah, but to paraphrase Otto from the Simpsons: Now you WRITE the puzzles!

(This is a good one! Even though I'm fairly stuck after the first step--- which eluded me for *hours*, but when I found it! .... I got utterly stuck again ....but now without any of the connections or hints step 1 had.)
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Great puzzle! I was using a brute force method for the final step but then got nudged in a collaborative solve to a much more elegant solution.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

POAKed! (What do we say here for a solve?)

Loved this one, Mikey! I needed some help; still, it was great fun!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Hope the nudges show up soon!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I'm out of town today, so here come your wonderful nudges on this lovely Nudge Wednesday!

1. The 7 entries with a parenthetical number (call this n) each allude to an n-word person, place, thing, title, what have you.

2. The n-word what-have-you (from bullet point #1) contains a color, and these are in ROYGBIV order from top to bottom.

3. The number n is no longer relevant once you get the 7 operative phrases.

4. You need to find the linking word between the color-related phrase and the themer. For the first entry, for instance, this is the word TOWN.

5. Now think of the title. We need a 7-letter word, so we're probably going to need a letter extracted from each of these phrases - specifically from the linking word.

6. Think of the color's position in the colorful phrase (for the RED phrase, the color is in the 4th position).

7. Per the title, a key letter is somewhere over the rainbow. What position over the linking word? Think back to spoiler #6!

Whew! It is a Level 4, and I promise the next two weeks' mechanisms are easy-peasy!

Mikey G

Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Solved -- was on the right path, but needed a nudge to narrow it down. Loved doing this one! Thanks.
Cindy Heisler
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

MikeyG wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:26 am Whew! It is a Level 4, and I promise the next two weeks' mechanisms are easy-peasy!

Mikey G
"I promise the next two weeks' mechanisms are easy-peasy!"

You heard it here first folks! :)
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: A week 5 for me even with every single nudge. Amazing construction.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I came into this Wow-of-a-puzzle at nudge #6.

@ChrisKochmanski I love your dubbing! POAK!
But I may have misheard slightly --

(Mikey, do you know where your Ginger is tonight?)
rjy

Post by rjy »

Was getting worried I was going to need you to ferret out an eighth nudge for me! Quite a journey on this one, I’m in awe of solvers who got this nudge-free. Stay twisted, Mikey!
Ray
Abide

Post by Abide »

Quite a journey on this one
the original version had no parentheses :o

:lol:
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
rjy

Post by rjy »

Abide wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:10 am
Quite a journey on this one
the original version had no parentheses :o

:lol:
I'd say that's still fair... if he characterized it as a Week 53 :lol:
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well now, I certainly made that hard. I had all the steps except the last one and so I needed the 6th, but then still could not make it work. Then I actually went back and read everything again and, like in the Wizard of Oz, everything turned to color. (oh, and there seems to be a witch under my house?).

Yes a level 4 at the least, several things that I would not have thought to do without nudges, but satisfying if for no other reason than the funny clues and fills. Another "Mikey Gee I had a good chuckle!"
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!