MGWCC #734 - “Three-on-Three Matchup"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

We are not getting anywhere on this one. But we did have a very nice dinner!
EDIT: On the leaderboard at #24. Only two spots below last week.
Attachments
kingst.jpg
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

At worst, there is a 1.428% chance of guessing right.
Clpdlt22

Post by Clpdlt22 »

Abide wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:13 pm
Clpdlt22 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:05 am Beam me up at #7
One of the stronger first posts I have ever seen 😜👍🏻
What a difference a week makes, I struggled finding the path last week, this weeks path fell easier for me, but I did my best to try and over complicate as usual.
boharr

Post by boharr »

dudeski wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:50 pm At worst, there is a 1.428% chance of guessing right.
I knew someone would do the math. Thank you.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Man! I was looking forward to a new Pandora’s Blocks tomorrow as a brief respite from the MGWCC, but I see that’s off this week. Maybe the MMM will drop in early 🤞
Ray
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Abide wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:13 pm
Clpdlt22 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:05 am Beam me up at #7
One of the stronger first posts I have ever seen 😜👍🏻
Beginner’s luck 😂
boharr

Post by boharr »

rjy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:09 am Man! I was looking forward to a new Pandora’s Blocks tomorrow as a brief respite from the MGWCC, but I see that’s off this week. Maybe the MMM will drop in early 🤞
There is a new one by MikeyG.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed.

With help.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

boharr wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:11 am
rjy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:09 am Man! I was looking forward to a new Pandora’s Blocks tomorrow as a brief respite from the MGWCC, but I see that’s off this week. Maybe the MMM will drop in early 🤞
There is a new one by MikeyG.
His are weird, though. :lol:
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Joe

Post by Joe »

I have some thoughts/observations but can't get things to click. Does anyone want to compare notes?? I mIssed the Discord window. :(
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
runart

Post by runart »

I would love to discuss as well. Everything I'm trying is enticing but then leads nowhere. I am leaving on an extended trip in the morning so REALLY want to solve by this evening. I have really worked hard on this one but def need a nudge.
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

Solved, with help. That was hard.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I’m still able to access the Discord window (? some are saying it’s closed??).

I have solved, by the way, thanks to some expertly gentle nudging from Petey on there. (Is this an alias for someone on HERE? I don’t see a “Petey” username… maybe @peteg?

Confirmed at #33.

I HAVE MY LIFE BACK!!! :lol:
The other Wendy. :roll:
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

HeadinHome wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:55 pm I’m still able to access the Discord window (? some are saying it’s closed??).

I have solved, by the way, thanks to some expertly gentle nudging from Petey on there. (Is this an alias for someone on HERE? I don’t see a “Petey” username… maybe @peteg?

Confirmed at #33.

Right behind you at #34. I forced my way to the answer before being nudged to solve in the more elegant manner that Matt intended.
rjy

Post by rjy »

HeadinHome wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:55 pm I HAVE MY LIFE BACK!!! :lol:
Ditto! I think I’m supposed to say “Beamed Up” but after that ordeal, I’ll just say “On the couch” to wait for Monday…
Ray
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

rjy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:25 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:55 pm I HAVE MY LIFE BACK!!! :lol:
Ditto! I think I’m supposed to say “Beamed Up” but after that ordeal, I’ll just say “On the couch” to wait for Monday…
They had a sale at the rowing store - that was an oar deal.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Joe

Post by Joe »

Thanks to those who have reached out, but I have decided to say “f off” to this puzzle (apologies for the vulgarity). I’m not spending another second looking at this dreaded Grid of Impossibility. My sanity (what’s left of it) must last just a little bit longer.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
LesY

Post by LesY »

ky-mike wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:23 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:55 pm I’m still able to access the Discord window (? some are saying it’s closed??).

Confirmed at #33.

Right behind you at #34. I forced my way to the answer before being nudged to solve in the more elegant manner that Matt intended.
I saw what I thought was the elegant way and STILL forced it. lol

I received a nice note from Matt though. Made the struggle worth it!
woozy

Post by woozy »

My understanding is, and Petey can correct me if I'm wrong, is the Discord is closed to new people signing it. But those of us who signed in earlier can still sign in and chat about.... well, how we were all in bed when it was solved and all those posts are now deleted and we still have no frigging idea.

Oh, and Simpson's quotes. There's always Simpson's quotes. (I once said to my sister-in-law "What are you, the possible police" and to my surprised she laughed even though she didn't know the reference."
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
peteg

Post by peteg »

Yep! The intent was to have people solve together, but not be able to join after the solve and glean the answer with no effort. And I think it worked out great. The nice thing about Discord is I can create a new channel for the next puzzle and do the same thing all over again. I probably won't do this every single week but definitely stay tuned for the next time we're all in despair.