MGWCC #734 - “Three-on-Three Matchup"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
rjy

Post by rjy »

peteg wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:00 pm Yep! The intent was to have people solve together, but not be able to join after the solve and glean the answer with no effort. And I think it worked out great. The nice thing about Discord is I can create a new channel for the next puzzle and do the same thing all over again. I probably won't do this every single week but definitely stay tuned for the next time we're all in despair.
The nice thing is that it rather organically evolved to support a rolling sharing of ideas and rabbit holes, while at the same time remaining spoiler-free. Don’t know that it will always manage that so deftly, but it was a nice place to communally pull our hair out, only to then be amazed by Matt’s creativity and brilliance.
Ray
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Cannot say I beamed up. More like "clawed my way across the finish line with a helping hand gently redirecting my aim when it was leading me astray."
ajk

Post by ajk »

I officially give up on this one. Was in the discord thread in time to read everything, got a couple of kindly nudges, and am still basically at square 1. Just not my week I guess. Or month I suppose, as the same thing happened last week. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Considering I didn't even get week 2 or 3 this month, I think I'll sit back, relax and enjoy the weather. I finished the grid at least! Looking forward to reading about the solution tomorrow.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

rjy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:43 pm only to then be amazed by Matt’s creativity and brilliance.
I don't think it's even that extreme to say that some of these metas are art. I remember I said the same about the categories on Jeopardy! on Twitter, and a writer reached out to me and said that was super kind. And it is! The creativity in both - crafting clever metas or great categories/clues - is of the highest order.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Holy WOW!

What a weekend for metas! Matt Gaffney & Patrick Berry have given us two of the best.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:01 pm Holy WOW!

What a weekend for metas! Matt Gaffney & Patrick Berry have given us two of the best.
One was a bit tougher than the other.
gpj73

Post by gpj73 »

If anyone out there is willing to help, we could certainly use a nudge. Second straight week of staring at the completed grid for a couple hours and getting absolutely nowhere…
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally! Thanks to all who teamed up on this diabolical meta! Sometimes it takes a village.
Heidi
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Remember the good old days when you'd complete one of Matt's puzzles, look at the four or five long entries and immediately see a word or common start letter that connected them all? Gee, I miss those days.
firefly

Post by firefly »

I would gladly accept a nudge from any of you fine meta solver extraordinaires! I don't think I've gotten the hang of this yet.
paige11

Post by paige11 »

I wasn't sure if I'd wake up to my name on the leaderboard, but beam me up!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: non-solo but non-nudge thanks to @peteg Discord channel. IMHO everyone did a fantastic job of collaborating without spoiling.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Beamed up thanks to helpful nudges. Thanks @Wendy Walker ! Really clever and fun meta, but I would have never have solo solved this one! :)
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nudged, or rather shoved, to the finish. After a couple of false starts I had an idea that something like this might be in play but I could not believe it could be done. Thanks to a kind muggle who did not leave me flailing in the surf. I cannot imagine, even for a moment, trying to construct this meta,
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

One minute before the hour and I asked for beam up. Hope I materialize in one piece aboard the Enterprise....

And I never would have gotten it without help.

Edit: Beamed up at exactly 12:00 according to Matt's website. Phew!
MattGaffney

Post by MattGaffney »

@Al Sisti

This was the "White Whale" meta that I couldn't get to work for last year's Zoom talk. Note AHAB and THAR in the grid...
MMe

Post by MMe »

Wow, that is amazing.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Well done, Matt. The effort was worth it.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:02 pm One minute before the hour and I asked for beam up. Hope I materialize in one piece aboard the Enterprise....

And I never would have gotten it without help.

Edit: Beamed up at exactly 12:00 according to Matt's website. Phew!
Now there's your buzzer beater!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!