MGWCC #734 - “Three-on-Three Matchup"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
three

Post by three »

woozy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:01 pm Hmmph.... I have something that's a guess
With about as much confidence as I had at a 7th grade dance, I think I’m at roughly the same place. It took a lot of self-convincing, but I have something that will make a great overly-complicated answer :D

edit: pretty sure I’ve got it
Last edited by three on Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

It has to be something different and subtle as after 21 hours there are only 6 on the board. Too bad we don't know how many misfires were sent in.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:47 am It has to be something different and subtle as after 21 hours there are only 6 on the board. Too bad we don't know how many misfires were sent in.
Look at the OVERALL tab. There are 11 names there, so 4 incorrect submissions. (Another solver has brought the total to 7 since you posted.)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I think last week's meta answer of NIGHTMARES was a warning, haha.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

RPardoe wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:49 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:47 am It has to be something different and subtle as after 21 hours there are only 6 on the board. Too bad we don't know how many misfires were sent in.
Look at the OVERALL tab. There are 11 names there, so 4 incorrect submissions. (Another solver has brought the total to 7 since you posted.)
@RPardoe thanks and congratulations on a great solve
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Clpdlt22

Post by Clpdlt22 »

Beam me up at #7
woozy

Post by woozy »

three wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:42 am
woozy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:01 pm Hmmph.... I have something that's a guess
With about as much confidence as I had at a 7th grade dance, I think I’m at roughly the same place. It took a lot of self-convincing, but I have something that will make a great overly-complicated answer :D
Mine isn't over-complicated. It just has absolutely zero evidence. It's like .... if I could find X then my grid entry could be interpreted a certain way and that'd be cute, but there is zero, none, nothing of evidence of any X at all.

Hmm, in terms of personal fairness how ethical do we think (going for a group solve) it'd be to ask a solver "Is my guess correct? Yes/No" be? If I were 67% percent sure I'd be okay, and if I were 95% sure I'd do it without batting an eye (except if I were 95% sure, I'd just go for the solo solve). But I'm not very sure how I feel about it in this case where I'm about 8.5% sure.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
peteg

Post by peteg »

If anyone is interested in a group solve, I created a Discord server -- NOTE: some members of the server have solved the meta, so I'm disabling the invite now. Thanks to everyone for checking it out and staying true to the "group solve" spirit.

This is intended for people people to discuss that have not solved, and I plan on removing the channel if/when we crack it to avoid spoiling for latecomers. Also please only join if you want to actively engage in solving, don't just hang out and wait for the answer. :D
Last edited by peteg on Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh, to heck with streaks... Submitted a weird but logical answer (It is a week 4 after all and... oh, damn I forgot something)

Oh, well submitted and we'll see.

EDIT: Well there goes my 24 week streak. I DEMAND sympathy and chocolate!
Last edited by woozy on Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MMe

Post by MMe »

There are only 70 entries in the puzzle, so let's just divvy them up and get this over with.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Hmm.... is the fact the two people who got it both have DOGs as avatars relevant?

(woozy-fevered dreams go in that direction....)
Meg

Post by Meg »

woozy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:33 pm Oh, to heck with streaks... Submitted a weird but logical answer (It is a week 4 after all and... oh, damn I forgot something)

You are a braver solver than I, Woozy-din.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Meg wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:10 pm
woozy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:33 pm Oh, to heck with streaks... Submitted a weird but logical answer (It is a week 4 after all and... oh, damn I forgot something)

You are a braver solver than I, Woozy-din.
I think you have to change the user name to Woozy-din for a week now. Sending sympathy and chocolate! (Dark chocolate for the win.)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

peteg wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:32 pm If anyone is interested in a group solve, I created a Discord server: https://discord.gg/vbA6eanj

This is intended for people people to discuss that have not solved, and I plan on removing the channel if/when we crack it to avoid spoiling for latecomers. Also please only join if you want to actively engage in solving, don't just hang out and wait for the answer. :D
This might motivate me to spend a little more time on this. Right now I am in the it wouldn't be a bad time to end our current streak.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Toast

Post by Toast »

woozy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:33 pm Hmm.... is the fact the two people who got it both have DOGs as avatars relevant?

Alas, I think there's someone with a non-canine avatar in spot #5.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

woozy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:33 pm Hmm.... is the fact the two people who got it both have DOGs as avatars relevant?

So we have a shot?
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

At least I'm glad to see I'm in good company here*!

*"Here" being lost in deep space, out of transporter range :-)
Abide

Post by Abide »

Clpdlt22 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:05 am Beam me up at #7
One of the stronger first posts I have ever seen 😜👍🏻
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up at #14. Probably the highest I have ever been on the leaderboard. I did have a nudge, though.
Cindy Heisler
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Hmm. I think my streak is ending with this one.
Heidi