MGWCC #733 - "Couples Only"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

oldjudge wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:47 pm Maybe we could No some free market research for Matt. Allow me to pose two questions:

1. Does the streak list add to, not change, or diminish your enjoyment of MGWCC?
2. If the streak list was eliminated would it alter your subscription status?

For me the answer to the first is that it probably diminishes it a little, but not much, and to the second, absolutely not. I think that Matt’s puzzles are a bargain at what he charges now.
For me:
2. Wouldn't change a thing on my subscription status.
1. Streak list is a feature that is a "nice" addition to, but unnecessary for me to enjoy, Matt's puzzles. It shows who some of the real pros are. So, a little to the positive. But I just don't get worked up about it, or how accurately it gauges an individual's accomplishments. I say, solve and let solve, each in his, her or their own way.

Now, if there was a $3.50 mug on the line.... Now we're talking all-out, no holds barred, all's fair in love, war and metas competition! ;)
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Logged in late to the zoom and got it thx to smart muggles. Finally figured out the elegant method to solve, after first brute-forcing it. Elegant method made my jaw drop at Matt’s talent!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:17 pm
oldjudge wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:47 pm Maybe we could No some free market research for Matt. Allow me to pose two questions:

1. Does the streak list add to, not change, or diminish your enjoyment of MGWCC?

For me the answer to the first is that it probably diminishes it a little, but not much, and to the second, absolutely not. I think that Matt’s puzzles are a bargain at what he charges now.
For me:
2. Wouldn't change a thing on my subscription status.
1. Streak list is a feature that is a "nice" addition to, but unnecessary for me to enjoy, Matt's puzzles. It shows who some of the real pros are. So, a little to the positive. But I just don't get worked up about it, or how accurately it gauges an individual's accomplishments. I say, solve and let solve, each in his, her or their own way.

Now, if there was a $3.50 mug on the line.... Now we're talking all-out, no holds barred, all's fair in love, war and metas competition! ;)
Agree. I checked several times and there was no raise or extra time off for a longer streak. Now I'm a bit more pecuniary (not peculiar mind you) than HunterX, it would take a $4.50 mug before I started drugging you drink so I could finish first.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

mkmf wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:07 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:59 pm
Actually almost EXACTLY what HunterX said. @HoldThatThought is out there collecting errant Metanauts and tossing them into the transporter. Once you see it you are "OMG YES!" but seeing it is another thing.
Ha: "Metanauts"
Nice, Dr. Tom.
There is always the possibility I misspelled that! :)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Out of my misery thanks to a kind nudge/bludgeon. What I thought could not possibly be a coincidence was…a coincidence. Go figure.

Kudos to those who figured this out.

Stay well.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Can’t believe I got the first two steps and didn’t see the obvious. Thank you Zoom group and as to the previous discussion on the leaderboard issue, I don’t care about it. I just like to solve (hopefully solo) but this group helps take me out of my misery when I don’t! You all are great and amazing friends and I value all of you!
Heidi
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Joined the muggle meet up for the first 15 minutes... Enough to get us to submitting an answer ! Thanks so much! We see the elegance but are probably missing another key ingredient to fully appreciate it. I agree with Wendy's assessment... SAD (simple and devious)!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

At the risk of sounding like an Oscar winner: "I would like to thank Chris, Dr. Tom, Wendy and the rest of the Zoom group for their generous contributions in making my meta submission possible."
woozy

Post by woozy »

Hmmph... I'm not seeing any elegance. Shoulda gone to that thing.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:20 pm
mkmf wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:07 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:59 pm
Actually almost EXACTLY what HunterX said. @HoldThatThought is out there collecting errant Metanauts and tossing them into the transporter. Once you see it you are "OMG YES!" but seeing it is another thing.
Ha: "Metanauts"
Nice, Dr. Tom.
There is always the possibility I misspelled that! :)
Looks right according to my dictionary. Metanauts: n. A person on a never ending mission, to explore strange, new puzzle types, to seek out new answers and new metanisms, to boldly solve where no solution has been solved before.
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Looks like a lot of seasoned solvers (of which I am decidedly not one) had problems with this SAD meta. Wish I could have made it to the Zoom today! I’m totally… um, what are we here? Stuck on an alien planet if not beamed up? I hope I’m not a redshirt this week! If someone could lend me a nudge, that would be great!
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
gpj73

Post by gpj73 »

We are completely lost this week. As in … nothing. We see a few oddities, but no discernible patterns or toeholds. So a slight nudge would be most welcomed and appreciated!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Yes.... I'm going to ask for a nudge.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

First time for me at the group solve Zoom, and I had seen first step solo, but nothing after that. A few choice ideas put forth by some folks on Zoom, and I was able to solve. Thanks!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning.

On the solo vs group solves issue, Matt does keep track but does not publish aggregate solo solves as evidence each week by his posting of solo solves. And his interpretation is that a solo solve is exactly that, no winks, nudges or anything. Beyond that he does not care.

The issue comes up like we have with the WSJ, should you submit after getting help. And with Zoom, and now the ability to contact others because of PM's and knowing emails, the ease of getting help is totally different than it was a few years ago.

The question we have asked repeatedly is why each of us should care what others do. Is it our own self pride of being one of few on the list or getting a mug? Or is it that we want to improve our skills by cosolving with one or more others? Is my cosolving with others any different than people who solve with members of their family? There is no right answer.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
dlonoff

Post by dlonoff »

Personally, I'm just trying to get better at solving meta puzzles, and I think the best way to do that when I'm stuck after staring for an hour or two is by getting a well-crafted hint.

But I don't care at all about the stats, so maybe I'll stop submitting on weeks when I get a hint.

I wonder if a wiki with collapsible tiny hints would be a good tool for people who are solving past puzzles (only after submission time of course). If something like that doesn't exist, maybe I'll try making one. Reading Joon or Matt's write-up doesn't typically allow for the Aha! moments that improves one's strength for future solves IMO.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:13 am Good morning.

On the solo vs group solves issue, Matt does keep track but does not publish aggregate solo solves as evidence each week by his posting of solo solves. And his interpretation is that a solo solve is exactly that, no winks, nudges or anything. Beyond that he does not care.

The issue comes up like we have with the WSJ, should you submit after getting help. And with Zoom, and now the ability to contact others because of PM's and knowing emails, the ease of getting help is totally different than it was a few years ago.

The question we have asked repeatedly is why each of us should care what others do. Is it our own self pride of being one of few on the list or getting a mug? Or is it that we want to improve our skills by cosolving with one or more others? Is my cosolving with others any different than people who solve with members of their family? There is no right answer.
Vey nicely and succinctly stated. Thanks, Bob.
rjy

Post by rjy »

dlonoff wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:46 am Personally, I'm just trying to get better at solving meta puzzles, and I think the best way to do that when I'm stuck after staring for an hour or two is by getting a well-crafted hint.

But I don't care at all about the stats, so maybe I'll stop submitting on weeks when I get a hint.

I wonder if a wiki with collapsible tiny hints would be a good tool for people who are solving past puzzles (only after submission time of course). If something like that doesn't exist, maybe I'll try making one. Reading Joon or Matt's write-up doesn't typically allow for the Aha! moments that improves one's strength for future solves IMO.
That's a cool idea... plenty of times I still want to solve late and have to be verrrrrrrrry careful poking into the forums, wanting a sense of the general discussion without stumbling into seeing the answer.
Ray
KayW

Post by KayW »

First let me say all this is only my humble opinion and I agree 100% that within certain bounds it's up to each solver to determine their own boundaries as far as seeking solving assistance. I know a few muggles (not me!!) won't even consult the internet... :scream:

@oldjudge thank you for providing so much food for thought on this topic. And those are two very interesting questions.

2. is a no-brainer. I agree, Matt's puzzles are a bargain at twice the price, and removing the streak list wouldn't change a thing.

1. is something I never really considered before. Despite the initial thrill of seeing bigger and bigger numbers next to my name, I was surprised to discover that I now think the streak list diminishes my enjoyment, just a little bit. As my streak grows, I feel more pressure each week to SOLVE!!! and not break that streak. Whereas with other metas, if I don't solve I tend to adopt a "wait and see the solve at deadline" approach. (The exception being the one with the all-important and elusive $3.50 mug.)

And of course, that pressure to solve comes entirely from within ME, not from the list per se. It occurs to me that the easiest way to remove that pressure is to blow my streak. Not that I would ever "throw" a meta LOL. But it would be interesting to see how long my streak lasts without assistance. Maybe I can work up some perverse mojo to look forward to NOT solving and forcing my reset.

I had never really considered before the distinction between a "group" solve and an "assisted" solve, but now that I've thought about it, I agree that is a very important distinction. Thanks so much for defining it so thoughtfully. And the more I think about it, the more I think that I personally will try to draw the line at asking for assistance when I have no solid idea. Like probably most of us, I strongly prefer to solve solo if at all possible. But it has been fun to co-solve with others on the really tricky metas. And if I am solving and stubbornly stuck in some dead-end rabbit hole, I'll probably still ask someone who has already solved to put me out of my misery with a :thumbsup: :thumbsdown: on that one particular path. But I hope to wean myself off seeking assistance beyond that.

Of course I reserve the right to change my mind at any time :lol: And if I've solved, I am still more than happy to help others seeking assistance (even though I am usually terrible at coming up with good nudges that don't give the whole game away.)

I love the fact that our amazing group has become so helpful, particularly to newer players. But I also agree that because of that, the prestige of a streak has diminished a bit. I remember consulting with another muggle on a recent difficult puzzle and lamenting that I might lose my precious 100. The other muggle's (non-cynical, I think) comment was "I figure you'll be staying up there indefinitely as long as there is a community of solvers around for when we get to any toughies!" I felt a tiny twinge when I read that, but it's true. Anyone who wants to solve on any given week, can no doubt get led to the answer somehow. Not that there's anything wrong with that - as @Bob cruise director said, there is no right answer.

I would be VERY interested to see a solo solve streak list, if that's something Matt could easily provide. (LOL for one thing it would help me know if I remembered to tick the box when I solve non-solo. I've sent Matt emails a few times asking him to double-check because I didn't remember ticking it.)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I'm not going to get into my many (and probably unpopular, and perhaps inconsistent and evolving) thoughts on all this, but one simple thing I wonder if Matt could do is not have "solo solve" checked by default. Forcing us to choose would eliminate a lot of false solos and probably save him the effort of dealing with emails about it later.