MGWCC #733 - "Couples Only"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

MGWCC #733 - "Couples Only"

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #733 — Friday, June 17th, 2022 — “Couples Only”

Dear Solver,

444 of you found the correct answer to last week's challenge. My post on it will go up later tonight, but for now you can read Joon's review here:

https://crosswordfiend.com/2022/06/14/mgwcc-732/

Today's puzzle is Week 3 of 4 in June. Instructions:

This week's contest answer is something that solving too many contest crosswords might lead to.

Note: due to the late the post, the entry deadline for this puzzle is Tuesday, June 21st at 6 PM ET.

Good luck!

--Matt

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Eep.

Edited for accountability to say that I'm printing it out now (my plan of attack if I make no progress on .puz) and putting it aside for at least a few hours, if not until tomorrow. Best of luck, solvers, until then!
Last edited by MikeyG on Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Joe

Post by Joe »

Isn't this the puzzle he said he thought was a week 1?
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Beam me up at #3. Definitely not a week 1.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I'm starting to feel that life is too short for hard metas - and I say this as a meta creator! I just don't have enough time to spend staring at a completed grid looking for something - anything! - that leads somewhere. So until a friendly Muggle PMs me a nudge I'm going to go paint the house, write a sermon on Rev. 21-22, and do all of my regular weekend chores!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Well done Tmart!!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

WHEW - only 4 on the board 2 1/2 hours after the it came out.

Well done @TMart
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ajs0031

Post by ajs0031 »

I think I've got an answer, but I think some of the details of getting there aren't quite clear so I'm gonna hold off and think some more. Must be missing something...
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Not feeling 100% but I submitted my answer anyway so that I can get on with life...

Edit: #11! Despite that, I'm still unclear on one aspect and so would prefer not to give nudges this week. Sorry, and I wish everyone the same good meta luck that I had!
Last edited by Laura M on Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Like @Benchen71, I am also wondering about my priorities after this looong hard work week… stare at a grid giving me nothing, or attend to my poor yard and garden, not to mention a furry friend who has been very patient with me not playing with her much the last month! (Investment flip house finally listed and showing, and my recent attempts to be much slower and pickier about taking new clients is finally helping slow down the pace, thank goodness!!)

A zoom group solve might be fun, and more productive. Anybody? Maybe Sunday afternoon?
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Teamed up with @oldjudge and am now waiting for the tractor beam. Definitely required a team effort!

Edit: #12, definitely my highest finish ever!
Last edited by benchen71 on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Fun working together—hopefully we are right.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:19 pm WHEW - only 4 on the board 2 1/2 hours after the it came out.

Well done @TMart
14 on the board after 14 hours.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ajk

Post by ajk »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:36 am A zoom group solve might be fun, and more productive. Anybody? Maybe Sunday afternoon?
Would definitely be in if I wasn't going to be out of town visiting my parents. Seems I picked a bad week to have reduced meta time. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
auee89

Post by auee89 »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:36 am A zoom group solve might be fun, and more productive. Anybody? Maybe Sunday afternoon?
I'm up for a group solve Sunday.
Kevin
peteg

Post by peteg »

I have something that I think is a tremendous coincidence and not much else...
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

On the board! #22!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

I have this one thing that simply CANNOT be a coincidence but I feel like I am forcing something that is not there. Not ready for a lifeline but likely will be this time tomorrow. Maybe just a yes/no about this thing.

We shall see. Stay well all.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

Though awaiting confirmation.

UPDATE: On the board at #23!

This was slightly a group solve. Another Muggle, not yet a solver, shared a thought, as a dim possibility, and after my own pondering of it, I had a start on something.

Please note: We’re getting on the road early tomorrow (Sunday) morning, so if you PM me for a hint, my response is likely to be slow.
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

I'm also seeing something that doesn't seem like it is merely a coincidence, but nothing else.