"Water You Looking For?" - June 17, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Magistra

Post by Magistra »

Lightbulb moment this morning. Happy to be ashore!
Horsesense
Location: Sometimes Michigan, Sometimes Texas, but Maine at Heart

Post by Horsesense »

Ashore
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

I agree with those who think there is arguably more than one “correct” answer. I saw the other one last night.
Of course, Matt’s answer is the only one that will count!
Happy Daddy’s Day to all!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I am on a shore, but I am not sure it is the shore. Because others have posted “clever,” I doubt I am on the same shore. At least I will enjoy a slap to the head tomorrow morning. Good luck everyone!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

And Happy Father's Day to all the fathers, grandfathers or future fathers

We have seven on the ship and 170 on the shore.

New to the ship's bar are

Flying_Burrito
John77
James D

And new to the shore or a shore are

Jim and Anita
stmv
MajorDomoTom
hunkra
Richard
ReB
Fred F
lbray
jimbo1
Ben B and son
sjm
Danny Vee
mkmf
Jackie88
Grandma Lolo
Magistra
phofer
horsesense
SusieG

Good luck with the meta. There will be an 8 pm Eastern Time Last Call zoom session tonight
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:30 pm
Deb F wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:27 pm
LadyBird wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:21 am For all of you punsters and dad-joke tellers out there, Jason Gay had a lovely column in the WSJ (actually, I enjoy all of his columns). It's called "Life is More Pun with Dad Jokes". Here is the link: https://www.wsj.com/articles/life-is-mo ... _permalink

And if you didn't get enough dad jokes in the article, take a look in the comments.
Thanks for the heads up on this. Sadly, without a subscription, can't access the article. Absolutely love Jason Gay--one of the great reasons for the WSJ--aside, of course, from the puzzles!
This should be a free link to the article.
Thanks for that, Joe. Appreciate the connection--used to get Jason's articles emailed to me but finally got cut off. Jason should give Muggle limericks a go next!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Janet wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:02 pm
Deb F wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:27 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this. Sadly, without a subscription, can't access the article. Absolutely love Jason Gay--one of the great reasons for the WSJ--aside, of course, from the puzzles!
How many of are WSJ subscribers? I keep thinking of cancelling my subscription, because I forget to read it, and it is kind of pricy.
We were subscribers for eons. But, like you, weren't reading it as much, except for weekends.and, of course, all daily crosswords and weekend puzzles. Add to that ongoing delivery issues that I spent many hours trying to resolve but finally decided life is too short! Tried getting weekend only subscription but it's not offered. And electronic is as expensive as hard copy so we cancelled. I do miss Jason Gay and wonder how I'll feel if they make puzzles "subscribers only'"?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

A quick reminder. The WSJ will not be published tomorrow so the official results will not be out until Tuesday. So you won't get the notification that you won the mug until Tuesday morning.

However, we will be here after midnight to come out with the correct solution, the alternate solutions, the rabbit holes that we went down and the weeping and gnashing of teeth because we had perfect logic that got us to the wrong beach.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:28 am
LadyBird wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:53 pm

Thanks @Joe Ross for that link. I "thought" I had provided the free link but apparently not. :?
I didn't check your link before posting mine, taking the following post at face value that it was behind a pay wall. I should have pointed out that you posted a free link.

Thank you for posting it!
I went back and clicked on Lady Bird's link again. It did come up with the subscribe blocker but, had I been more patient, it would have let me read it. Didn't mean to mislead anyone🤔
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Coleen, Chris & Hunter at The Whip Tavern Meet-up.
DSC_0458.JPG
DSC_0456.JPG
DSC_0455 (2).JPG
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

If you know, you know.

I was listening to an episode of Dragnet on the Radio Classics station this morning while I made Father's Day breakfast.
During one point in the episode, three men were talking and had each taken a cigarette. Joe Friday struck a match, lit his cigarette, lit his partner's cigarette and reached to light the third man's cigarette. The third man protested as THREE ON A MATCH is unlucky.
(Nope. Not bitter. Have totally moved on with my life! :lol: )
Last edited by ImOnToo on Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konnie
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. Saw an answer on Friday, let it simmer looking for other possible answers, but finally submitted.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Finally on shore.

While I can imagine there is an alternate possibility, the shore I'm on seems too good to bother searching for another. Spent enough time on this one already! (And still blaming "COVID fog," though I sure hope that isn't still lingering.)

Time to get out into the sunshine!
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are confidently on shore! Late posting here - probably on the last page - got it earlier and didn't post timely. Regardless, delighted to be with all on the sand.

Good luck.........
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

This school year ruined both of my streaks! The last few weeks of the year well and truly sucked...but it's time for a rest before starting my LAST year of teaching!

WOO and HOO!

Anyway...I'm ashore!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I’m not going to make the zoom tonight as my internet is broken. But I’m looking forward to seeing the alternate answers people have come up with after the deadline.

Happy Father’s Day and Happy Juneteenth to all who are celebrating either or both.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Woo Hoo!! On shore two weeks in a row.... I hope this "Streak" continues. I am not seeing the alternate answer that others have seen. I hope I have the right one,
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Loved seeing the pictures and hearing about the good time had by all at The Whip. Wish I could have been there. We have been joined by more Muggles, so I will reiterate my standing invitation for any and all Muggles who happen to be traveling through Alabama on I-65 (or close by) to visit me at my house on Smith Lake in Cullman. Just let me know ahead of time so I can be sure to be there. PM me your email address if you want to come and I will send more info.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Got the logic, got an answer, taking off from the Pacific Princess helipad, not sure where the pilot is going to take me

Update: 100% sure on the first entry, but there are several options for the second. Fathers' Day Plea: MG, please make things less ambiguous
Last edited by Flying_Burrito on Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I am most definitely not on shore. I am stuck in an endless loop.