The Devil Lived in the Details

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
DrTom

The Devil Lived in the Details

Post by DrTom »

Good Morning Muggles! I had this one ready a while back but a full schedule, and my Italian vacation, conspired to push it back a bit. No matter, its here!.

The title I’m sure is quite familiar, and our fiend Wikipedia (the world’s authority on everything) says that it is an idiom alluding to a twist or mysterious element hidden in the details. Nothing, of course, could describe a META better.

So try your luck and see if you can work out a reversal of fortune, and don’t forget to remit before the timer runs out…but if you are stuck there will be a “Nudge Wednesday” and of course I am always available to PM for hints.

The Devil Lived in the Details - PUZ (Corrected)

The Devil Lived in the Details - PDF (Corrected - hat tip to @woozy )

The Devil Lived in the Details - spreadsheet (Corrected - hat tip to @woozy )

Last Supper Nudge S.JPG
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I'm off the couch, pending confirmation.
Thanks for the puzzle!

Edit: Confirmed!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Submitted an answer...

EDIT: After a little adjustment, I am off @DrTom's couch. Nicely done!
Last edited by Cap'n Rick on Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Got up this morning. Turned on the news. *Sigh*
Thank you, Dr. Tom, for the diversion.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Whoops - apparently an editing change never made the puz file. The prompt there should be Tax Filings not Tax schedules - more cosmetic than anything else but still. The prompt on the PDF, spreadsheet and the picture of the grid are correct. It does not affect the Meta moment really.

Darn details...

(All files have been corrected.)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Darth

Post by Darth »

Off :twisted: the :twisted: couch :twisted: ... after trying to make too much of things! Thanks Dr Tom. :D
boharr

Post by boharr »

Off the couch.Very fun.
woozy

Post by woozy »

If I got it, this was just my type of puzzle. Kind of had a hard time putting the result into a final form but 100% sure of the gyst.

Oddly, this had many, many rabbit holes. Hard to believe the sheer number of them are withing stochastic norms but ... the seem to be inadvertent.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

saw this one quickly, but can also see some very interesting potential side roads!

Couch vacated, which is a shame cuz that means back to work!
The other Wendy. :roll:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

HeadinHome wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:07 pm saw this one quickly, but can also see some very interesting potential side roads!

Couch vacated, which is a shame cuz that means back to work!
I have work to do, but I really want to get on the couch, just to get off it! Alas, it will have to wait a bit!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

I am off the couch, courtesy of an assist from Dr. Tom on my original submittal. Seems appropriate on my 1-year Muggle Anniversary!
Thanks for the puzzle @DrTom!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Solved and confirmed. Loved the nuances. Great puzzle.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Off the couch!

Awaiting confirmation, but confident.

Thanks, Dr. Tom!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Off the couch, pending confirmation. If not re-couched, I’m happy to say I enjoyed it, Dr Tom!

Edited: confirmed, so I can now unequivocally say I enjoyed it!
Last edited by rjy on Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:59 pm If I got it, this was just my type of puzzle. Kind of had a hard time putting the result into a final form but 100% sure of the gyst.

Oddly, this had many, many rabbit holes. Hard to believe the sheer number of them are withing stochastic norms but ... the seem to be inadvertent.
Better than writhing stochastic worms! Yep all inadvertent, I am still being surprised by what people are seeing. I actually wish I had been clever enough to insert some of them as red herrings, but you know me, I WANT people ot be able to solve. It gives me no pleasure to mislead.

Tom
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Alrighty then!

Coming to the end of day 1 we have a healthy response to the puzzle (thank you Muggles!). Many of you are finding unintentional things that I am afraid I cannot comment on for fear of tipping my hand. Just suffice it to say I did not intentionally include any red herrings and if there is something that you are thinking "well, this might be one", it probably isn't. The themers are pretty clear and once you see one of them you'll know what to look for with the rest.

Solvers so far:

1 MMe
2 Schmeel
3 boharr
4 dplass
5 Bird Lives
6 woozy
7 HeadInHome
8 MarkWoychick
9 ChrisKochmanski
10 Beth Tyrpin
11 Meg
12 oldjudge
13 rjy
14 Laura M
15 Mikey G
16 Andrew Bradburn
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hmmm - update and correction to Leader Board. I inadvertently left out the Cap'n and he was an early solver! Plus one more joined the ranks:

1 MMe
2 Schmeel
3 Cap'Rick
4 boharr
5 dplass
6 Bird Lives
7 woozy
8 HeadInHome
9 MarkWoychick
10 ChrisKochmanski
11 Beth Tyrpin
12 Meg
13 oldjudge
14 rjy
15 Laura M
16 Mikey G
17 Andrew Bradburn
18 markhr
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I solved as well. Maybe you are still reading my LONG private message.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

lbray53 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:44 am I solved as well. Maybe you are still reading my LONG private message.
Unfortunately for Tom, he's used to them from me. 😕