MGWCC #732 - “Time to Get Up”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Larrry

Post by Larrry »

That was fun. Almost just sent in a guess - which would have been close but no cigar.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Solved! A nice Week 2.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Amanda Hugginkiss

Post by Amanda Hugginkiss »

For once I knew the answer just from the title and the prompt. Beamed up!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Beamed up. Very nice puzzle from Matt.
dsxwa

Post by dsxwa »

Beamed! Very nice puzzle
ajs0031

Post by ajs0031 »

Think I've got it but feeling a little unsure of myself. Anyone willing to dm me so I can confirm before I submit?

EDIT: Thanks @hcbirker for confirming!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Feel like I must be overthinking this one. Unfortunately just knowing that doesn't prevent it. :lol: :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Fun one. I might have guessed what the answer was from the prompt, but the metanism was very nice.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Joe wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:29 pm Beamed up pretty quickly. Now what am I supposed to do this weekend with WSJ and MGWCC solved in record time??
Solve my meta that goes live tomorrow! (Sorry, shameless self-promotion.)

Fun puzzle! I have the absolute tiniest of quibbles, but it's picayune, and I'll share it (and you can roll your eyes at me) after deadline. Either way, clever idea and a fun meta-nism.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Toast

Post by Toast »

Yeah, I also have a nit to pick, probably the same.
(Not that I'd have noticed without research, though.)

This was a fun transition from "I have no idea" to "I have an idea, but I don't know what it means!" to "oooooh, what a cool mechanism" to "mumble dad joke mumble." Just what I want from a week 2!

(Anyone else got the Russian Doll season one song playing in their heads?

)
woozy

Post by woozy »

I am in a bitter and foul mood as I've been staring at this danged thing for nine effing hours and ... oh, there it is.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Just got back from vacation and just submitted my answer to Matt's cool puzzle. Clever metanism.

Edit: Beamed up!
Last edited by Cap'n Rick on Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well that was a lot less complicated than I was making it. Though the mechanism I was chasing would be a good one too! (Writes in notebook .. scritchscratchscritchscratch).

Beam me up I’m done.
The other Wendy. :roll:
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We have an answer but I like the answer I wanted a lot better 😄... Anyone mind letting us share our answer to confirm? Since Alex and I solve together as a rule, I rarely have solo solves. I would rather keep the streak going than risk a wrong answer.
Last edited by TeamDoubleTow on Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I knew the answer before I put a first letter into the grid. I've known it since age 7 or so. But all the fun was in discovering how to get there.
Jay
woozy

Post by woozy »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:34 pm I knew the answer before I put a first letter into the grid. I've known it since age 7 or so. But all the fun was in discovering how to get there.
I wonder ...

Well, I can't ask as that would be giving something away. But I do wonder....
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

I can’t stand having to wait for Matt’s confirmation, but I’m sure it’s time to get up off the couch.
Uh-oh. Wrong forum.
Kudos to Matt for all the connections.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Toast wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:28 pm This was a fun transition from "I have no idea" to "I have an idea, but I don't know what it means!" to "oooooh, what a cool mechanism" to "mumble dad joke mumble." Just what I want from a week 2!
Same here. I made a (nice) comment with my submission about the last part of that transition.

Ready to beam up! (Seems the transporter team needs their coffee before getting the transporter online.)
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

I had a harder time with the grid than the meta. 41D and 49A were new to me. Since I’ve now finished both puzzles for the weekend, I have no excuse not to clean out the extra bedroom. Blech.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

I have the mechanism down. The answer I get is meh. Will need to look more before i submit. I must be missing something based on above two comments