MGWCC #732 - “Time to Get Up”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Barney

Post by Barney »

woozy wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:34 pm I am in a bitter and foul mood as I've been staring at this danged thing for nine effing hours and ... oh, there it is.
Wow, nine hours‽

I’ve got the idea, but not seeing any much less “the” mechanism. Busy weekend so will have to take a pass.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Beam me up! Awaiting confirmation but feel pretty good about it.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Needed a nudge (thanks!) but I’m on the board.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Barney wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:34 am
Wow, nine hours‽

I’ve got the idea, but not seeing any much less “the” mechanism. Busy weekend so will have to take a pass.

It took me a very long time to see the mechanism (and it is a precise mechanism) but to be fair it appears most people found it a lot more easily than I did so I'm probably not the most accurate indicator.

I was just very frustrated because... well, it's always frustrating when you get pages of people saying "oh, what a fun puzzle; a great why to wake up and get something out before coffee" while you are pounding your head against the wall... but also I had a very good guess based on just the prompt and were I willing to risk a streak for early high status solve (never!) I could have entered within minutes of getting in in my mail. Although I don't value such high listings but, still, 158 is a bit ... just a bit.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Toast wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:28 pm
(Anyone else got the Russian Doll season one song playing in their heads?

)
Me too! From the time I saw the title (even though it’s slightly different) until a while after I submitted. It is an insanely catchy tune.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I'm still not "up", staring at the grid.

Have a wild guess, but want to spend more "time" thinking about this first.
Bird Lives wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:34 pm I knew the answer before I put a first letter into the grid. I've known it since age 7 or so. But all the fun was in discovering how to get there.
and that's my guess that I'll throw at the 11th hour, if no inspiration strikes
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
burghman

Post by burghman »

Submitted with pretty close to a sure thing. Found an alternate answer that may be the nit the was mentioned earlier - wonder if the 5 incorrect guesses (so far) fell into that trap.

ETA - confirmed!
Last edited by burghman on Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Got it! Not confirmed but confident enought to declare that I will be beamed up! Took me a long time. Seems like a lot of steps for a week two.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got there with a kindly nudge. One of those staring-at-the-right-thing-but-in-the-wrong-way ones where I wouldn't have gotten it on my own, but not for any good reason. I had noticed one or two things that realllly should have gotten me to the answer, but sometimes it just doesn't click.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
paige11

Post by paige11 »

Late on the post, but beam me up!
woozy

Post by woozy »

I'm blaming my not seeing it sooner on 1. Misspelling an entry. And 2. not really asking myself enough rhetorical questions about meta-puzzles in general so I didn't see how I should have tried to put things together earlier.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Still pondering this off and on. No real idea for a step one yet. Plenty of time to stare at this before asking for a nudge.
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

I’m beamed up easily-for-me this week, I’m going to blame missing last week on covid, that was very easy in retrospect.
Matt / Flamingbear
GTIJohnny

Post by GTIJohnny »

Beamed up and confirmed. This is a 100%er mechanism.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Hi, could I bounce something off someone who has solved?
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Glad I didn't submit our first answer. Just submitted what I think is the right answer and hope to keep the streak going.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
rjy

Post by rjy »

The ever so rare (for me anyway), Sunday still-solo solve… beamed up!
Ray
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Guessed the answer (as did many), but just saw the mechanism. Good one.
download.jpg
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Patience is a virtue. Should be beamed up shortly.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Attended a wedding this weekend so got to the puzzle late. Beamed up at #349!