MGWCC #732 - “Time to Get Up”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ReB

Post by ReB »

Well, took a fresh look yesterday at the grid and the theme answers, had a crazy random thought, and suddenly everything fell into place like clockwork.

Funny how that sometimes happens with metas - whereas other times you're pulling your hair out and missing what's in front of your eyes, or just don't pursue the right thread (or stop short prematurely).
three

Post by three »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:21 am I'm still not "up", staring at the grid.
ajk wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:13 pm One of those staring-at-the-right-thing-but-in-the-wrong-way ones where I wouldn't have gotten it on my own, but not for any good reason.
I'm in the same 62A and asking for a life preserver! I have what I think has to be related, but can't seem to make anything of it. Anyone care to share a nudge?

edit: I think about 4 seconds after posting this I saw the next step, hold off on sending anything my way
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

Took way too long for a week 2 before I saw the method.
burghman

Post by burghman »

burghman wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:28 am Submitted with pretty close to a sure thing. Found an alternate answer that may be the nit the was mentioned earlier - wonder if the 5 incorrect guesses (so far) fell into that trap.

ETA - confirmed!
Anyone out there submit CLOT, the first letters of the 4 sections that were removed when the ALLs were “risen”? Seemed like it might have been a strong enough answer, albeit kinda gross and not very feel-good, because there are plenty of people who couldn’t stand having a clot.
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

burghman wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:02 pm
burghman wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:28 am Submitted with pretty close to a sure thing. Found an alternate answer that may be the nit the was mentioned earlier - wonder if the 5 incorrect guesses (so far) fell into that trap.

ETA - confirmed!
Anyone out there submit CLOT, the first letters of the 4 sections that were removed when the ALLs were “risen”? Seemed like it might have been a strong enough answer, albeit kinda gross and not very feel-good, because there are plenty of people who couldn’t stand having a clot.
I definitely saw that first and decided that couldn't be it. Eventually got there.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

This is ugly, but how I didn't solve, then saw the light:

mgwcc732JPR.png

This is my mouse-writing. I have a digital pen but am stubborn about using the mouse.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We were stuck on SLAP for a while when I wanted it to be SEAT. Finally I went back to see what order we got SLAP from... :roll:
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

It's minor, but the quibble had to do with the singular prompt ("something") and plural answer ("LAPS"). That's the pedantic grammar tutor in me! Other than that, fun mechanism and a fun puzzle!!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
burghman

Post by burghman »

burghman wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:02 pm

ETA - confirmed!
Matt just updated his page today with last week’s details and, wow - 29 people submitted CLOT! I obviously assumed some but didn’t expect that high a number. Glad to hear he accepted that as a correct answer.
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

allrise4smaller.gif
-Tamara