"Think Of A Number" - June 10, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SuzyRoo

Post by SuzyRoo »

First time posting. On shore! Happy dance!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

And now for something completely different....

For Double Jeopardy on June 2nd, the clue from the category "Tools" was:
"It's a prolonged tool for gardening, and no one would use a hoe for that."

I immediately started to laugh and my wife just gave me one of her “we need to up his medicine” looks. However, all of the Jeopardy fans HAVE to remember the famed Ken Jennings moment when the clue was:

“A long handled garden implement that could also be an immoral pleasure seeker.” Ken answered “Hoe”, which to my mind was the better answer than the real one “Rake” but of course it brought down the house.

So I was delighted to see Jeopardy go META!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

ship4u wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:18 pm A fun Friday Zoom again today. We arrived at our hotel just in time to participate. As you might expect, not much help was needed this week. So, the one muggle who hadn't solved got the full attention of the other 6 of us!! Great to see everyone!
Couldn't make the Zoom on Friday. Happy that I didn't need the stellar guidance from the group this week. Let's see how long that lasts!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Dplass wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:12 pm
vandono wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:03 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:25 pm

Don't be a nut meg... I mean... Michael. There are lots more, as I was telling my friend Eric the other day. (He's a sage when it comes to puns.) After I zinged him with a particularly good one, I said, "It's your turmeric."

(Am I just being a jerk seasoning all my posts with puns?)
Nah, it keeps the thread from being too vanilla. That's my op-onion anyway. I say keep going, but hyssop to you. Either way, DrTom will cumin later and gingerly curry us across the finish lime. If he can't do it, no one cayenne.
It's amazing how you can pepper your posts with puns.
This thread is getting whey t-oolong.
Habanero-bics class taco to ancho I’m outta here.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Hi Muggles. It's been awhile, but I'm back in the game with a quick swim to shore!
vandono

Post by vandono »

michaelm wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:11 pm
Dplass wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:12 pm
vandono wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:03 pm

Nah, it keeps the thread from being too vanilla. That's my op-onion anyway. I say keep going, but hyssop to you. Either way, DrTom will cumin later and gingerly curry us across the finish lime. If he can't do it, no one cayenne.
It's amazing how you can pepper your posts with puns.
This thread is getting whey t-oolong.
Habanero-bics class taco to ancho I’m outta here.
I may have got a little caraway. We know who's the real pun star anise wordplay is legendary.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

vandono wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:12 am I may have got a little caraway. We know who's the real pun star anise wordplay is legendary.
I bay leaf that would be Hunter X! When he gets going I cannot hold a cannelle to him (sorry had to go to France for that pun!)
Last edited by DrTom on Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Ashore, easy peasy.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:28 pm Cute one... ashore on a crowded beach
@Bob cruise director you must not have seen us in the crowd!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:10 am
TeamDoubleTow wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:28 pm Cute one... ashore on a crowded beach
@Bob cruise director you must not have seen us in the crowd!
You must have been wearing red & white striped shirts & hats...
Danny Vee

Post by Danny Vee »

Dannyvee wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:59 pm
Danny Vee wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:28 pm On the beach… first time ever! :D
IMPOSTOR!

😂 Welcome to the forum 🍻

~The original Dannyvee~
Oh my gosh! I thought that I surely picked a more unique name! 🤪
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Danny Vee wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:20 am
IMPOSTOR!

😂 Welcome to the forum 🍻

~The original Dannyvee~
Oh my gosh! I thought that I surely picked a more unique name! 🤪
To @Danny Vee and to @Dannyvee and all other muggles. Having similar names is not a problem. Who knows Danny Vee may go to Dannyvee's restaurant in Jamacia Plain and have dinner some time.
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:37 am I'm in my favorite grocery store the other day and there was this lovely display of herbs; "Nothing beats herbs fresh cut for your cooking" the sign proclaimed. "Put in a sunny place and water every few days for a continual supply of cooking goodness"

So, I buy them, select a sunny place on the porch away from grazing cats, water and wait for the promised bounty.....5 days later:

thyme.JPG

A complete waste of thyme! There was also a dillemma that soured me, but there was not even anything to photograph. I'm obviously going to have to talk to my gardener, Basil although it is parsley my fault for not adjusting for Florida sun.

Now I feel like Scarlet O'Hara who, when she learned finally that her ancestral home was sold, said TARA GONE?
Um, was it like that when you bought it or did it take five days for you to kill it? I've had no luck with herbs inside or even on a porch. Mine like direct sun at least part of the day and enough water to stay damp. At least this experience gave you some good fodder for puns. Don't give up, Tom!
Last edited by katnahat on Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kathie
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done Friday, and done yesterday. It's been a long dry spell. Reading previous logs, it looks like I'm not the only one. Does that make me feel better? Maybe a bit. But I figured this one out fairly quickly. Nice puzzle.

Here's a comic I found pretty amusing.

PieComic4E.jpg

TFTXWD
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:23 pm I haven’t been posting on my favorite forum too much these last couple of weeks – just too much going on. School has ended for the year (except for our system’s one year-round elementary school). Our education foundation will soon be able to see testing results that will hopefully show that our reading/mentoring program has made an impact on our striving-reader mentees. As May ended, four of our board members (including yours truly) were anxiously awaiting delayed shipments of thousands of books. They finally arrived and we went straight to work labeling them with colored stickers that denoted reading grade-levels. We delivered them to our two pilot schools on June 3rd and 6th where students who met their reading goals were able to choose books. (This part of our reading program is open to all students at the schools, not just the mentees – and thus the reason for ordering thousands of books). My back may never be the same after toting so many heavy book boxes, but it was all worth it to see the delighted looks and hear the heartfelt gratitude from so many children!

P.S. @Bob cruise director : If you are still keeping record, I didn’t work on last week’s meta until Monday afternoon, so mark me LAS. (But I was happy to ee-say e-thay eta-may echinism-may not too long after I finished the grid. A couple of years ago, I would NEVER have gotten that one. Baby steps…)
Wonderful program and so very needed. Reading opens doors to so much!
Kathie
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

IMPOSTOR!

😂 Welcome to the forum 🍻

~The original Dannyvee~
The word "space" may become a necessary identifier for @Danny Vee. 🚀🌌🛰☄

🙂
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:01 am
vandono wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:12 am I may have got a little caraway. We know who's the real pun star anise wordplay is legendary.
I bay leaf that would be Hunter X! When he gets going I cannot hold a cannelle to him (sorry had to go to France for that pun!)
You're sweet to say so, @DrTom, but we all know you are the Garam Marsala leading the Pun Parade. (Yeah, that was a stretch. I'll quit now.)
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

On the beach - Nice stress-free swim!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:53 am
IMPOSTOR!

😂 Welcome to the forum 🍻

~The original Dannyvee~
The word "space" may become a necessary identifier for @Danny Vee. 🚀🌌🛰☄

🙂
normally I type in Danny in excel find and hit enter until the right one comes up.

That works well but for "joe" I have to hit space a lot as we have
joe and cathy
joel
Joey Avocado
Joedbee
joevdz
joe hammer aka hammertime
joequavis
some guy named Joe Ross
Joe Pickett
joes and Natasha
JoeFlanders
and just plain joe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Sunday Morning muggles

A steady flow to the beach and we now have two keeping Isaac company and 245 on the shore.

And we welcome our newest muggle SuzyRoo

A quick administrative note on when we get to the record number on the beach. Normally I stop counting when I turn off my computer about 10 pm on Sunday. So if my records and yours don't match, that may be the reason. If we are close to a new record for most muggles on shore, I will look on Monday morning to see if the late arrivals got us over the record.

New to the beach since yesterday are

SoccerMom
relic (and Maggie)
William
mkmf
James D
Jackie88
Collegetowngirl
caf.caf Cathy
Dannyvee
beccacollins
iblinked
bigtuna
Dennis
Beth C
TeamDoubleTow
OGuyDave
sphorning
SuzyRoo
Powers2020

Good luck winning the mug and hopefully one of us will be able to post pictures like Escapeartist of receiving the mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director