"Think Of A Number" - June 10, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I'm in my favorite grocery store the other day and there was this lovely display of herbs; "Nothing beats herbs fresh cut for your cooking" the sign proclaimed. "Put in a sunny place and water every few days for a continual supply of cooking goodness"

So, I buy them, select a sunny place on the porch away from grazing cats, water and wait for the promised bounty.....5 days later:
thyme.JPG
A complete waste of thyme! There was also a dillemma that soured me, but there was not even anything to photograph. I'm obviously going to have to talk to my gardener, Basil although it is parsley my fault for not adjusting for Florida sun.

Now I feel like Scarlet O'Hara who, when she learned finally that her ancestral home was sold, said TARA GONE?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

On the beach. Had to put this one down for a day before the answer popped right out at me.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

A complete waste of thyme! There was also a dillemma that soured me, but there was not even anything to photograph. I'm obviously going to have to talk to my gardener, Basil although it is parsley my fault for not adjusting for Florida sun.

Now I feel like Scarlet O'Hara who, when she learned finally that her ancestral home was sold, said TARA GONE?
I have the same issue trying to grow a rose, merry friend. I blame it on the urb-an air quality.

(let the groans com-mints)
The other Wendy. :roll:
Cbaudhuin

Post by Cbaudhuin »

Ashore.
Alaskan Amber and pizza tonight!
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore! First time in a few weeks for me.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Pretty sure that I've made it to shore - fun one!!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

Ashore.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:21 am
HunterX wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:51 am Was your comment something along the lines of what Michael Scott from "The Office" might say, perchance?

... Her work is so crazy that she got up a 5am the other day not to go to paddling practice (the usual reason)...
Well, that's what you said.....

Paddling practice, my you do have an interesting - but potentially painful - relationship!
I'd whip up a pun or two here, but I don't want to get chained to a stereotype. And as for my wife, I'll leather speak for herself. And while there are a few years between us, we can bond age notwithstanding.
HunterX wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:51 am And today she is at time trials for the US Dragon Boat team...
I had to Google US Dragon Boat...impressive! Do you get to go to Hong Kong too?
Had I not been working, I would have. She's competed in Hong Kong, China, Thailand, Hungary... Heck, I'm getting Hungary just thinking about the cuisines she's tried! Though sometimes they compete in a smaller cities/towns, not the popular tourist destinations. I was going to go with her to France in 2020, but that competition was cancelled. I've been wining about it ever since.

Given your last two comments, I'd say my wife is the Girl with the Dragon Boat tattoo, but she has none. Though that gives me an idea for a birthday present... Think of the comments I could make at parties!
HunterX wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:51 am We have an African safari (photo safari) planned for November...
African safari, well that makes my Italy trip pale in comparison. I'd be lion if I said I wasn't a little jealous.
I do take pride in having bagged a spot on that trip.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning muggles

First we welcome all of our newest muggles - magres, Danny Vee, and Samson and Delilah. Great to have more muggles and we are closing in on 1200 in the family.

The ship's tenders have been busy for the second day and night ferrying muggles to the shore. So far we have two muggles who have volunteered to keep Isaac company and 226 on the shore. The record is 271 which was set January 21, 2022 with You Don't Say

So far Annabelle and Tom S are keeping Isaac in business

and on the shore are

docison
escapeartist
mattythewsjpuzzler
woozy
pjc
Kay
ajk
darth
Al
michaelm
joe
ky-mike
MatthewL
Jim and Anita
stmv
Georgeall
RobM
paige
Larrry
Hammertime
Beth T
Beth A
Scott M
Mike H
Chris
BrennerTJ
joequavis
NebFaninCA
Eric P
Fred
David Wi
Heidi
Barbara K
ladybird
higgysue
jhseeman
TeaJenny
bagman
sfed
Jace54
Cindy
oldjudge
Moi
Al Laubenstein
Acari
sharkicicles
boharr
Homer
Bird Lives
whimsy
NuYear68
b4alltime
CallMeShane
MikeM000
D B Miller
mbryant
Dow Jones
LittleGood
mikeB
EmilyW
Joe R
benchen71
Miki
Don and Cynthia
Anita
Les
Janet P
Jeremy
JetStream
Ron
MarkWoychick
Jennifer
Guffman
cbarbee
Lyman
Laurab
Samson and Delilah
femullen
Shirley
Meg
dplass
mlvilv
auee89
sf592000
Steveb
Laura
Char
Merry Potter
CAe39
dudeski
MajorDomoTom
Rita and George
cheryl w
SewYoung
hunkra
Commodore
Lee-Ann
Toast
EVJ
minimuggle
Wendy
Jack
Jean
Prozach
jrdad
Toby
Richard
dpl11
JAQT
P1h3r1e3d13
clonefitz
Tina
SusieG
CromsFury
Bill
Joepickett
katnahat
Ergcat
CPJohnson
patpatchica
Hidden in 3D
Omnibus
Magistra
ErikThor
Gman
hoover
Kas
C=64
Tmart
Flying_Burrito
Schmeel
MaineMarge
JeanneC
Mister Squawk
meowmiao71
Lacangah
RDaleHall
Joes and Natasha
M and M
cinny
Puzzle mom
PlymouthRock
Penny_Keatley
Adajeo
ALS
Dana Whiting
Ann
mrmd
dk letter
otlaolap
Lube On
ReB
iggystan
ZooAnimalsOnWheels
Crest
Debbie
BobDylan
Fred F
rosiegirl
Mary F
SingleMalt
zonkswonk
vandono
Cap'n Rick
Bonnibel
lbray
HeadinHome
Zagman49
jimbo1
Tom Wi
OliviaL
Elizabeyth
JoeFlanders
GTIJohnny
barney
Susan G
Janet
Ben B and son
John77
sjm
JaneGummy
turbotron
Deb
haydendog
Cindy N
Hamrock
Katiedid
Mary and Curtis
mangine
Henry Paul
DrTom
RicoTheSwede
livpolfan
HunterX
TheKater
PhantomPhan
Franklin
pookie
Cruciverbalisticexpi
Kris Zacharias
DannyWalter
littlepigeon
ImOnToo
DennyB
copperriver
Drew and Kasia
VickiF
Guy L
kfahey
mitchel674
Sean
Danny Vee
magres
Grover
Berto
Trey and Marion
eagle1279
Matthew
qvart
halseymac
rjy
MamaE
JennyByrd
Jarrod
Cbaudhein
Rad26

Let me know if I have missed anyone in the crowd.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
caf.caf

Post by caf.caf »

On Shore - now off to a cool hike in Western NC!
bigtuna

Post by bigtuna »

Whenever I get these (which is rare), I think they’re easy but this one took me less than a minute. Nice to be on shore every once in a while!
SoccerMom

Post by SoccerMom »

Holy smokes there is a lot of pages filled up! Seems a number of Muggles are ashore this week. Count me as one who saw the answer and is enjoying time ashore!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:37 am I'm in my favorite grocery store the other day and there was this lovely display of herbs; "Nothing beats herbs fresh cut for your cooking" the sign proclaimed. "Put in a sunny place and water every few days for a continual supply of cooking goodness"

So, I buy them, select a sunny place on the porch away from grazing cats, water and wait for the promised bounty.....5 days later:

thyme.JPG

Well, from the sage puns cumin fast and furious, I would say that Dr. Tom is done throwing his car(es)away on vacation.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I haven’t been posting on my favorite forum too much these last couple of weeks – just too much going on. School has ended for the year (except for our system’s one year-round elementary school). Our education foundation will soon be able to see testing results that will hopefully show that our reading/mentoring program has made an impact on our striving-reader mentees. As May ended, four of our board members (including yours truly) were anxiously awaiting delayed shipments of thousands of books. They finally arrived and we went straight to work labeling them with colored stickers that denoted reading grade-levels. We delivered them to our two pilot schools on June 3rd and 6th where students who met their reading goals were able to choose books. (This part of our reading program is open to all students at the schools, not just the mentees – and thus the reason for ordering thousands of books). My back may never be the same after toting so many heavy book boxes, but it was all worth it to see the delighted looks and hear the heartfelt gratitude from so many children!

P.S. @Bob cruise director : If you are still keeping record, I didn’t work on last week’s meta until Monday afternoon, so mark me LAS. (But I was happy to ee-say e-thay eta-may echinism-may not too long after I finished the grid. A couple of years ago, I would NEVER have gotten that one. Baby steps…)
Sara
Jackie88

Post by Jackie88 »

On shore!
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Danny Vee wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:28 pm On the beach… first time ever! :D
IMPOSTOR!

😂 Welcome to the forum 🍻

~The original Dannyvee~
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Oh, also, on shore!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Relic

Post by Relic »

Late to the party, but ashore, nonetheless! Hibiscus tea for me until later. I really enjoyed Isaac's undivided attention Friday night.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

On shore +1
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

On shore!! First time in a few weeks. Nice feeling.